Is This The Year Of The Spiders?

A bite from a spider can be nasty in some instances and I am hearing that this year there seems to be more around then usual so does anybody have tips for encouraging them not to take up residence? I read about leaving conkers laying around on floors but then they are harmful to dogs, I`ve also read about spraying mixtures around but what about the carpets or floorings don`t they stain?

Starbrite Boat Product. Mine was £10.32 from Norfolk Marine. Ages ago mind! It lasts forever.

Used it on boat and in house. They used to poo fly poo all over our cream upholstery. It works for me.

20200804_121111.thumb.jpg.beac2680d4a51c23d405a15d52239dee.jpg

• Thanks 1

I use Dethlac in the boat and caravan and have done for years, and find it very effective for keeping creepy crawleys away. You have to hold your breath when applying it then evacuate the room for a couple of hours but then it lasts for months. The big spiders like to hide behind the elastic bands holding the cover on the Owl. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

Unfortunately for spiders the vacuum cleaner is the best thing. I find that if you leave them to exist, it encourages more to move in.

I couldn't agree more Upcycler, get the little b*****s working, and when they've finished the hoovering there's the washing up to do

• Haha 2

I leave Mr Skinny Legs (guess who watches too much Peppa Pig these days) where he is on account of him eating all the bugs that do bite. Especially in sheds...where he serves the purpose of deterring spider frit other halves intent on investigating the contents of said shed.

Living with a family of spider frit is challenging. I'm slowly but surely training them as they realise that their blind panic and shouts of 'hit it with the paper' means that I belt them around the head with the paper and not the spider. Than goodness for grandson Arlo who not only likes spiders but goes actively hunting for them.

I do have a running battle with one spider who insists on spinning a web across the front of the security camera every night. I've tried all of the various concoctions to deter him until I found the only deterrent that does work. Avoiding the glass lens I smear the case of the camera in a thin layer of Vaseline. Mr Skinny Legs is unable to attach his web so moves on.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Where did you learn that, from a Tom & Jerry cartoon? :default_biggrin:

Sadly, no. It was the IP CCTV Forum for IP Video, network cameras & CCTV software. But I did get some of my other, more painful, security measures from the cat and the mouse and they were by far the best subjects to study when I was learning to apply forces in character animation.

• Like 1