New Restrictions Could Affect Hire Boats And Holiday Accommodation ?

Boaters

Us humans infest Earth in very large colonies and at a density that if we were say rats, would be classed major pest outbreak

Any new disease was bound to sweep through us as can be seen in any intensive farming operation 

As I see it, many people will need to way up the risks and try to live with it

I don’t blame the young when walking down the stairs is a far more dangerous activity 

and it’s going to be the young that bear the weight of this and other decisions freshly made by the older generations with scant regards to their needs

what goes around eh?

we have got to accept this is the way it is and if the public at large say no way and no way it’s going to be because we just don’t have enough left in the tank

• Like 4

If only the virus could be sanitised as easily as a thread on this forum!

That's just me being flippant as I agree, we should keep off politics.  Trouble is, government seems to have as much to do with our predicament, as the virus itself.

I am really posting as I agree with Cheesey69.  He has objective and reasoned views and also has the courage to say so.

I didn't want him to be a lone voice.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

If only the virus could be sanitised as easily as a thread on this  forum! . . . . . . . . . . .I am really posting as I agree with Cheesey69.  He has objective and reasoned views and also has the courage to say so.

I didn't want him to be a lone voice.

Agreed.  Two well thought out and reasoned posts.  The country cannot be allowed to slip into a social media led frenzy of panic and despondency again.  There is little doubt that this virus will be here for some time to come and we need to live with it.

• Like 4

Thank you Grendel for comments,I posted the thread to see how the. Numbers allowed would affect the leisure industry and possible outcomes or to the solutions that could apply to the type of cases mentioned.It was never intended to become yet another political debate ,of which there are many .I would still like to here comments about the way these visitors and providers can face this situation when these new limits come into force ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boaters said:

I would still like to here comments about the way these visitors and providers can face this situation when these new limits come into force ?

With even more difficulty - I think there's no doubt of that.

I think it probably got generally political as the Broads probably won't specifically be affected any more than any other parts of the country's business economy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

There is little doubt that this virus will be here for some time to come and we need to live with it.

Except for all those that die with it, who have had scant mention in this thread. Even if you take into account all the statistical discussions that compare fatalities with flu, car accidents and falling down stairs, there is surely no argument that many many loved ones have died that would not have, due to this virus.

Tell their families to their faces that the economy is more important or that you don't want to pay more tax down the line! Ask your friends and neighbours if they would really mind a few pence on income tax to save a member of your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know statistics can be made to say anything but I'd be interested in the proportion of boats hired out to parties greater than 6.

I know 'back in the day' it was commonplace for two families to hire a boat between them, but I don't think it's such common practice these days. Perhaps Clive could make comment on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

Except for all those that die with it, who have had scant mention in this thread. Even if you take into account all the statistical discussions that compare fatalities with flu, car accidents and falling down stairs, there is surely no argument that many many loved ones have died that would not have, due to this virus.

Tell their families to their faces that the economy is more important or that you don't want to pay more tax down the line! Ask your friends and neighbours if they would really mind a few pence on income tax to save a member of your family.

Get that and my sympathy goes out to every family whose life has been touched in such a way.  In my opinion, there are a few issues raised in your comments, though.  It is acknowledged that many of the lives lost to Covid-19, were people who were already suffering from life threatening diseases in the first place, to the extent that the Government reduced the number of recorded deaths by five thousand a little while ago.  Why five thousand - who knows, but the true figures will probably never be realised.

The fact that we will be paying a few pence more in taxes will soon become a reality.  The debt to the country caused by this crisis will certainly not be resolved in my lifetime and maybe not in our sons either (who is currently 32).  This will have a long lasting effect on not only this country, but everywhere in the world.  
We are about to go into a long and deep recession.  There will be job losses (I’ve just been placed into a position where voluntary redundancy was the most favourable option), people will lose their livelihoods, possibly their homes and occasionally their reason to live.  As a nation, we cannot afford to retreat into another national lockdown and lose more businesses and jobs.  A harsh reality, but true.

There is no question that many families have lost loved ones as the result of this virus, but I stand by my earlier comment - we have got to live with it.  What is the alternative?  Close the country down and hide away until someone, somewhere finds a vaccine?

• Like 5

I've heard an interesting theory about what the governments of the world might do to pay for the debts which have been/will be incurred over the lifetime of the Pandemic. I am certainly no economist, so I have no idea if it makes sense. The money borrowed has to be repaid. At the same time, doing anything which suppresses demand (like putting up taxes), can make the situation worse and last longer. The proposal is quantitative easing, which I think is another term for printing money. The Bank Of England can do this to an extent, but under normal circumstances, it eventually devalues your currency and makes everything imported (or is that exported?) more expensive, thus perpetuating the problem. 

However, the whole developed world is suffering a similar downturn, and racking up debts. The proposal is that everyone prints money, at whatever rate, so that the currencies of the world all keep to the same value. No idea if that would work, or what the pitfalls would be, but it's interesting and maybe explains why Rishi and Boris are insisting there will be no return to the austerity of the previous 10 years. 

I don't usually listen to BBC Radio 2 but happen to channel hop while BBC Radio 4 was being particularly awful and heard Dr John Lee on the Jeremy Vine Show and his views resonated with mine. After a small amount of Googling found this from back in March.

And it's noy politics, it's science !

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

Not if you die from it!

Flippant comments always welcome . I am assuming you have read Dr Lees article ?

It adds balance to the doom and gloom we read everyday, I believe life's for living and intend to do so ( whilst socially distancing ) I also understand there are people who are terrified by what they have been told and my sympathy is with them. But to lock yourself down in your lead lined bunker until this all goes away is asking for mental health problems, anxiety, depression......

Stay safe 

• Like 3