Boat Stuck Under Potter Bridge

vanessan

Robin, Ex Pilot said on another thread that he thought the height under the Bridge was somewhere between 5ft and 5ft 4 ins from looking out of his place a few days ago . I am guessing but it looks to me as if they decided to pull Silver Jubilee through somewhere nearer 5ft 9 ins but I may well be wrong (often am !).

Best wishes

Charles

33 minutes ago, charlesa said:

I have a feeling it wasn't actually stuck but that they made a decision to push/pull it through to get it back .

It was stuck fast! I watched it all for some time. Being pulled by one of Martham's boats and being pushed by a dingy which he kept pulling back and then giving it some 'nudges' and it eventually came free.

knowing Marthams, they know to the 1/4 inch, though they are designed such that the handrails will have taken the brunt of any damage, as they are the tallest parts (and also the easiest to repair or replace, they probably have a stack of ready profiled timber sitting in the workshops), silver jubilees are i think the tallest. they also dont use the bridge gauges as they know the heights that their boats need on the gauge in their slipway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grendel said:

knowing Marthams, they know to the 1/4 inch, though they are designed such that the handrails will have taken the brunt of any damage, as they are the tallest parts (and also the easiest to repair or replace, they probably have a stack of ready profiled timber sitting in the workshops), silver jubilees are i think the tallest. they also dont use the bridge gauges as they know the heights that their boats need on the gauge in their slipway.

I guess this was really a case of ‘needs must’, interesting to know what happens behind the scenes. 

Looks to be intact, canopy still laying where it normally does but as said the roof rails will have taken a little graze, saves sanding down anyhow.

Lovely boats and very comfortable, light and airy, nice layout and great to helm. The old deal boat for me.

It surprises me that they don't have an arrangement with HW to turn boats around there if necessary. It must be easier to transport people to collect cars etc than try and force a boat through a bridge. assuming it is on hire next week then the new hirers are probably going to want to come this side again anyway.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

they also dont use the bridge gauges as they know the heights that their boats need on the gauge in their slipway.

Surprised at that. I thought the most accurate gauge was the one in the pilot's office. I was once told by a ranger that the height either side of a bridge can differ by as much as an inch depending on tidal flow as basically the bridge acts  as a restriction either against an incoming tide, or against outgoing flood water. I'm surprised that a gauge a mile up river can be anything other than a guestimate.

12 minutes ago, Meantime said:

either side of a bridge can differ by as much as an inch depending on tidal flow

I understood it as more, on a spring ebb the upstream side can be two to three inches higher than the water under the bridge. There are times you can physically see the difference. 

I'm wondering how long it will be before someone suggests they ought to use boats "suitable" for the broads 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

I understood it as more, on a spring ebb the upstream side can be two to three inches higher than the water under the bridge. There are times you can physically see the difference. 

I'm wondering how long it will be before someone suggests they ought to use boats "suitable" for the broads 

To be fair the boats are suitable but unquestionably the bridge is sinking with all the rain we've had. About time it was jacked back up again :default_norty::default_scaredmouse:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1