2nd Day

PaulMargaret

Hi all yes the stargem is a great boat for our first time we are at nbd like suggested and moored stern on with help from 3 gentleman not going to get under the bridge water level is too hi so we are going to stay here until tomorrow any suggestions for food and drink thankyou all for your advice believe me it helps 

Recommend the Station Smokehouse, located on the platform of the railway station. It’s a bit of a walk and not cheap but worth it. They also have a takeaway menu. The Thai takeaway has been mentioned as being good, though I’ve not tried it (yet). There’s also a very good Indian (judging by reviews) in Coltishall that will deliver to Wroxham, called Ali Spice.

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

Hi all yes the stargem is a great boat for our first time we are at nbd like suggested and moored stern on with help from 3 gentleman not going to get under the bridge water level is too hi so we are going to stay here until tomorrow any suggestions for food and drink thankyou all for your advice believe me it helps 

You sound happier and more relaxed today? Just have a look around Roy's/Wroxham (well Hoveton to be exact) and make your own decisions for food :)

Womack Dyke, leading:to Womack Staithe might be another option for you. You’ll pass the entrance to the Dyke on your way up to Potter Heigham. It’s an easy walk from the Staithe and the Dyke to Ludham village which has an excellent butchers, a village store and a good pub. You have a choice of side on mooring in the Dyke or stern on at the Staithe further up, and lots of room to turn around if you decide to continue up to Potter anyway.
Personally, I prefer Ludham to Potter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumPunch said:

To be fair the Royal Indian / Pizza shop in Wroxham does a fair curry. I use them a fair bit

Think the Indian is shut.Thai very good or walk over the bridge restaurant  on the right.I think the Hotel  is very expensive  for what it is.Good for a drink and people watching  though. 

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

We have had a great day at NBD thanks for the info guys.

So we have decided to head towards potterhieghm tomorrow like today don't think we will be allowed under the bridge so we're do you suggest we moor up near by thanks 

Glad you enjoyed your day PaulMargaret, hopefully settling into the river scene now

As KatieR says, it will be turnaround day at Herbie Woods although mooring will be possible, there are the 24 Hour moorings opposite Herbie Woods entrance, just be careful if you continue along the river past the entrance to the boatyard as you will be heading towards Potter Heigham Bridge, make your turn in plenty of time especially if it is windy and the tide is coming in, don't pressure yourself with a turn so close to the Bridge.

As you pass through Potter Heigham there are a number of "Quiet Moorings" on your starboard side, these usually have spaces, and allow for relaxation in Peace. There are no facilities here though, but a short walk behind the bungalows will take you into Potter Village, or a longer walk back along the river will bring you to the Lion at Thurne...a great pub.

Enjoy Potter Heigham, you meet just the best people around there :default_norty:

:default_xmas2:

4 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

As you pass through Potter Heigham there are a number of "Quiet Moorings" on your starboard side

Just clarifying that the starboard side is the right bank as you head towards the bridge. Not everyone is an old sea dog Jay! :default_jumelles:

Guest Jayfire
1 minute ago, DAVIDH said:

Just clarifying that the starboard side is the right bank as you head towards the bridge. Not everyone is an old sea dog Jay! :default_jumelles:

You're quite right David thank you, apologies to PaulMargaret. This old salty sea dog does ramble on :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Think the Indian is shut.Thai very good or walk over the bridge restaurant  on the right.I think the Hotel  is very expensive  for what it is.Good for a drink and people watching  though. 

The one above the shops closed. Royal is the takeaway opposite side of the road to the precinct

Guest Jayfire
7 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

We had kens fish and chips in the end and they was lovely.

And we have also decided to try and get in at wormack Staithes and visit Ludham stay over night and also walk into potter thanks all

Brilliant stuff PaulMargaret, it certainly sounds like you're getting settled into the Broads now, I hope so.

Just remember as I said, if Womack Staithe is busy and it generally is, you can always return later in your holiday. No stress.

Before you reach Womack Staithe soon after entering Womack Dyke there are some moorings on the right just before Hunters boatyard. You can walk into Ludham and Potter from these too although again no facilities are available at these moorings.

Also, before you reach Womack Dyke, on the "right" of the main River Thurne is Thurne Dyke for Thurne village, which is a lovely place to be too with the Lion pub and Ramblers shop, and you can also walk up to Potter from there as well.

Carrying on up the river past both of these dykes leads to Potter Heigham by the water.....just so you are aware of your options if any moorings are full...if any of this makes any sense, which seeing as I typed it it probably won't :default_biggrin:

Have a great day, wherever you end up, relax and enjoy

:default_xmas2:

For the record I have never walked to Potter Heigham from anywhere. 😂

I don’t know how long it takes, just in case we are giving the impression that it’s round the corner! But it is a nice walk along the Dyke to the junction with the Thurne or back the other way into the village of Ludham.  :default_icon_wave:

• Love 1

Guest Jayfire
7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I don’t know how long it takes, just in case we are giving the impression that it’s round the corner!

I could tell you all about it Jean like most Broads pub walks but I'm boring...I think KatieR said she did the walk last weekend though. Maybe she can give the details :default_smiley-angelic002: