Boat Firms Selling Out

Poppy

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/booking-increase-for-summer-2021-on-norfolk-broads-1-6890520

"Boat operators are swimming against the trading tide and predicting a tremendous year in 2021, as Covid fears force people to look closer to home for their holidays."

Unlike this year's round, there can be no case for treating hire boat operators differntly than private owners with respect to the tolls increase.

• Love 1

In my experience of semi governmental organisations is you will like what we give you unless you really make bad publicity and the general public get upset. 
until then just write strongly worded letters and we will take note and do what we was going to anyway 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

In my experience of semi governmental organisations is you will like what we give you unless you really make bad publicity and the general public get upset. 
until then just write strongly worded letters and we will take note and do what we was going to anyway 

Are you still on topic here?

Sounds like a daily news brief.

If it's going to be a bumper year then why are so many boats being sold off?  Some of the Richardson's boats that have been sold were still in good condition so could have been let next year, unless they were let go before the bookings surged, or perhaps they are concerned about a 2nd wave.

• Like 2

I heard somewhere that the hire boat figure this year were about 30 or perhaps more down - not a lot but perhaps more than you might expect. I apologise for forgetting the figure!!

Not sure why PW expects the price of good Broads boats to fall - there is already a shortage and with very limited new builds, my guess is they will continue to hold up. Its the old story of supply and demand! The 2007 recession had little or no impact - if you are assuming a fall you might be disappointed!!

In the years I have had a plastic tub, they have proved to be a relatively good investment!!!!

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not sure why PW expects the price of good Broads boats to fall

It would appear that there is a shortage of moorings, at least for 45ft boats.

It might be reasonable to guess that Joe Public's confidence in the future re jobs and security is presently on hold.

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It would appear that there is a shortage of moorings, at least for 45ft boats.

It might be reasonable to guess that Joe Public's confidence in the future re jobs and security is presently on hold.

I can agree on the first point however good boats will sell (at the right price).

• Like 1

Plenty of scope to create some new marinas which could create jobs too. Just hope there’s some money somewhere to do it and business is willing to take a punt or a dragline or whatever is needed. If Herbert Woods could do it after WW1 then I’d hope there would be similar opportunists now.

4 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I can agree on the first point however good boats will sell (at the right price).

I think good boats do indeed get snapped up. I sometimes look and dream and its amazing some are almost sold before they are advertised. I think Richardsons have been selling some off but maybe as less come on the market from the hire fleets demand and prices will hold up. 

Moorings do still seem quite difficult to come by too. 

But as to what will happen next year..........

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I suspect that come the New Year the 'right price' will be rather more in favour of the punters.  My prediction is that there will be bargains to be had, I can feel it in my water! 

All a case of supply and demand. There is no shortage of boats on brokerage, but there might be a diminishing supply of would be owners.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think Richardsons have been selling some off but maybe as less come on the market from the hire fleets demand and prices will hold up. 

There might be a reduction in supply from the yards but against that there is a huge supply of ex-hire craft in private hands.

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Cracking boat. I seem to recall someone on the Forum owned it once but could be mistaken. 

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I had my first Broads holiday in 1958 on the boat she was based on; the slightly smaller Vestella. Must do the lottery this week.

• Like 1

I had a look at the Navigation Committee papers through a link on another thread. Interesting reading. I note that they are reporting a reduction in the numbers of both hire fleets and privately owned boats. There are some interesting reflections there on wanting to spend extra on safety (training and additional ranger posts), as well as other planned expenditure, whilst facing a reduction in toll income. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ooh, that's spooky, probably: click on the video link and there's a series of short vids of the boat in St Katherines Dock, one of which shows David Suchet (Poirot) switching on the Christmas lights. So a Broads boat in St Katherines Dock and a famous actor - I'm fairly certain Ewar Woowar had a boat in St K's.......:default_smiley-char054: