Neighbours From Hell.

JennyMorgan

My goodness, where on Earth do you all live?  (Don't answer that, I already know, mostly)

I don't consider my immediate area to be the best physical place to live in the country, but we have had the same neighbours for 40+ years. We have all been of first name terms for years and look out for each other each and every day. Is that unusual?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeamElla said:

My goodness, where on Earth do you all live?  (Don't answer that, I already know, mostly)

I don't consider my immediate area to be the best physical place to live in the country, but we have had the same neighbours for 40+ years. We have all been of first name terms for years and look out for each other each and every day. Is that unusual?

Same here but we have sailed a bit close to the wind recently and I can understand that poor neighbours doesn't always mean a poor neighbourhood.

We now have a few houses for rent locally and we get a bit twitchy everytime they change occupants, based on experiences of the past.

We had one. I won't go in to what they were doing but, suffice it to say, we had words face to face. It turned out that they had no idea that their behaviour was causing a problem. Once we explained how it did, they ceased and all is harmony again. The situation was exacerbated because, although our properties share a boundary, it involved a half mile walk to get to their front door due to a lack of connection between the different housing developments.  

2 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We had one. I won't go in to what they were doing but, suffice it to say, we had words face to face. It turned out that they had no idea that their behaviour was causing a problem.

I wish it were that easy! Talking had worked in the past then, for whatever reason, the mutual understanding/co-operation all turned sour. In some cases friendships are clearly not for ever.

On 31/10/2020 at 15:48, floydraser said:

Ahem, Z-Cars? :default_hiding:

Brian Blessed was "Fancy" Smith, if I remember?

A great programme in its day. You never see any re-runs of it as all the programmes went out live, using outside broadcast cameras.  Long before our digital age!

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I remember when they got new MK3 Zephyrs to replace the MK2s. How sad of me.

I can be even more sad, I remember when the original panda cars came out, light blue and white Maurice Mynahs, sorry, Morris Minors! I also remember walking around both a police driver and his new car outside the 'cop-shop', asking if it was fast enough to overtake a milk float? I was indignantly informed that the pandas were 'souped up', I had my doubts. 0 to 60 in 5 minuets!   

• Like 1

Sorry to wander off your thread Peter but I had a good friend on the Thames whose company did the studio lighting for Z Cars and he used to tell some stories about the problems of doing a live sit-com.

One time, they set up a scene in a street of terraced houses, for Barlow to arrive and interview a suspect.  He was to knock on the door, the suspect would answer and the interview would follow.

The scene starts; a Z Car draws up;  Barlow gets out of the back, walks through the front gate and knocks on the wrong house, where an old lady comes to the door and tells him to bugger off!  They had no choice but to carry on filming while Barlow apologised profusely, went round to the right house and the scene was put out live as it stood!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can be even more sad, I remember when the original panda cars came out, light blue and white Maurice Mynahs, sorry, Morris Minors! I also remember walking around both a police driver and his new car outside the 'cop-shop', asking if it was fast enough to overtake a milk float? I was indignantly informed that the pandas were 'souped up', I had my doubts. 0 to 60 in 5 minuets!   

And noddy bikes.

Fred

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

where an old lady comes to the door and tells him to bugger off!

I've been told off, several times, for using that naughty word! Every day usage in Norfolk but seemingly not elsewhere!

Bit like mention of 'meadow ladies' in Norfolk, acceptable in one county but not another.

Speaking of our boys in blue.    In the early 60s my brother-in-law (very much an ex brother-in-law now) was just out of training school and was on the beat on his own , he was with the Met.      He was driving his noddy bike along the road down by the docks in London and came across folk desperately trying to load a lorry from a nearby building.   *** being *** and helpful decided to stop his bike and get off and go and help them by letting them back the lorry up to the building while he stopped the traffic.   This duly happened and they drove off.   Shame was they were part of one of the biggest gangs in London at the time and were robbing the place.      However, he remained in the met and eventually became a Detective Sergeant as I say with the Met at West End Central , all I can say is eventually you would have been hard pressed to decipher him from the crooks.    Coppering in those days in London was not like it is today.       I dare not describe him on here,   I would be banned.    :594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

However, he remained in the met and eventually became a Detective Sergeant as I say with the Met at West End Central , all I can say is eventually you would have been hard pressed to decipher him from the crooks.    Coppering in those days in London was not like it is today.       I dare not describe him on here,   I would be banned.    :594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

Wasn't the dear Sid F from Thurne was he? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1