My Life In The Kitchen(s).

Chelsea14Ian

Thank you Ian, that's very kind of you but I think my friend would like something a little simpler. Have you any books with titles such as "how to boil eggs without burning the saucepan" or "How to not burn a pizza" ? Her kids would really appreciate it :default_biggrin:

Seriously though, I love this thread, thank you for taking your time to post it up

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Oh dear.Lots of water bring to the boil,then add salt and a little olive oil.Add pasta reduce heat slightly. DONT overcook or burn!

Is that one bag or two of salt Ian? :default_biggrin:

On a more serious note I cook mine with zero salt as I cant stand the stuff in or on any food, does it really make a difference when cooking.

So March 2020 Covid cases started to raise. I like many was layed off.Then my health started to get worse. Pneumonia in the summer,that time antibiotics did the trick no stay in hospital.Then lung cancer. So not the best of years for me.Oh and 13 stitches in my head following a disagreement with Ludham Bridge. Sadly I never went back to work, after nearly fifty years in kitchen's my work as a Chef ended.Not the way I wanted,but thanks to Doctors nurses my operation was a success and a time to look forward to the future. 

As I said over the years I world with the good, bad , and the ugly.

Thankfully I worked with many good people. Some senior to me others not as senior.Working in Kitchen's it important  to work together,not always easy.If you have a good team,the results are good.However if it's the opposite which is the case sometimes it's hard work to get a good result .The first few years I learnt alot working with  Chefs who's training was classical French, Even though my training was classical French they helped me improve my skills. In following  years I worked at times with a few famous Chefs.

The bad : Kitchen's can at times be like a pressure cooker.At least three times I was bullied and it lead to bouts of depression. Thankfully  I came out the other side.I Worked with a few Chefs that took there life due to depression. With thanks to the family and some friends  my health  improved.What helped was we would go out somewhere quiet  and peaceful in 2005 I gave up smoking.

Perhaps the best jobs I had was Nat West,Abbey Road.And Contracted at Goldmans Sachs. 

So the ugly, which is the same as bad.When Something is bad that too is ugly.

Kitchen's are also often fun,lots of micky taking, joking about.Telling new Chefs when boiling lobsters 🦞 stir but make sure they don't go red.Go to the stores for a long wait etc.

Do I miss Kitchen's?In many ways yes I miss cooking and many of people  I worked with.Paper work no. There are so many regulations now, many are necessary  but Some perhaps not.

Would I encourage others to work in Kitchen's YES.Its not a easy job,but it's a great job.

Tips: we all need food to live,so enjoy it. Buy the best equipment you can,buy the best food you can.Not always the most expensive. If you can grow some veg,I grow some this year its worth the effort. Visit if you can farm shops,markets trips overseas.Once again enjoy food and have some fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1