Boat Fenders

Andrewcook

As to having Fenders to keeping the Boats apart when Moored up or avoiding a rub against another Boat cruising on the River? As I notice Broads Ambition looking always looking nice to see it being hauled upon the to Deck on it travels and put down once again while being Moored up. As to it being dragged in Water while Cruising along not a nice sight to see mind you the Fenders can be adjust if some some one could be bothered doing it?  As to some Mooring they do needed to be adjusted as I had do to stop the side of the Boat getting side Damaged Front and Back. 

It seems these days fenders down when "ditch crawling" is considered acceptable but absolutely not on form at sea.

Etiquette aside, I think boats look pretty awful with fenders all along, spoiling their lines. Taking the trouble to stow the fenders, as quite alot of the classic boat owners do certainly enhances their photogenic appeal.

When I sailed on the sea fenders were always stowed, but on the inland waterways with the amount of boat traffic and most of the time being single-handed not really practical, but of course they should never be touching the water that really does look slovenly.

• Like 2

Hi On my previous boats i had handrails which made storing and adjusting straight forward which i did, but on my present boat it has no handrails or deck wide enough  ie only 4 inches so unable to do this now, so fenders are left tied at deck level, absolut pain as they require frequent cleaning and attention, BUT as there is no alternative if boat is to be protected. i have no alternative but to leave them in place, and so not through laziness. Hire boat don't need a excuse for them there is no also alternative.. John

Motor boating Always down the boat is stable so they only hit the water if there's a wave.

Sailing always up except when moored,

A, The boats are not so stable s the leeward side is always closer to the water, and you don't want the drag.

B, You need every bit of river, that extra six inches can make a big difference, and you don't want a fender catching on the bank..

• Like 2

Left dangling they do offer a handhold should someone fall in. Personally I like things to be shipshape & Bristol Fashion as the saying goes. I know that some folk scorn etiquette and tradition but I think that they are a valid part of the enjoyment of boating.  We are a maritime nation, we should celebrate that fact!

For me fenders down on the rivers, I'm not going to pretend to be a navy captain chasing down the spanish armarda instead I'll accept being some bloke with half a clue at best bumming about on the river looking for the next pub, and I'm no raggy so won't be heeling over at any point.

As soon as I head for breydon and beyond they come up onto the deck (still attached for quick deployment but secure), they are a menace once it gets fast or bouncy.

I went sailing today. For the first time ever I sailed straight out of Cox's and onto Barton. Normally I'll motor out, then mudweight up and rig the sails / get the fenders in before sailing away. So today I was a sloppy sailor with them dangling I'm afraid. I cant leave the helm to get them in under sail.

Sailing is allowed as exercise so I tried to comply as much as possible by not motoring like 'normal'