Hire Prices - Yikes!

catcouk

3 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I don't know exactly what you've looked for, but a scan of Hoseasons currently shows 15 boats which will accommodate 10 people available 15th or 16th April 22 for a week. White Champagne is taken but you could have Finesse, Superior Gem, Ultimate Gem, San Bernadette, Pearl Gem, Voyager and Diamond Gem for less than £992, and Majestic Gem for £50 more. Perhaps I've missed something? 
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/the-broads?adult=10&child=0&infant=0&pets=0&nights=7&range=3&start=16-04-2022

Wow! They are what I would call normal prices. I was looking direct on Richardson's website. The plot thickens... 

3 minutes ago, catcouk said:

Wow! They are what I would call normal prices. I was looking direct on Richardson's website. The plot thickens...

I see what you mean. Richardsons prices look obscene. Either Hoseasons or Richardsons are incorrect, as they should of course match. My guess is that Richardsons are not loaded correctly. Can't see such a steep rise from last year. Funnily enough, Hoseasons only received the new 2022 prices from Richardsons a week ago. Until then, they weren't loaded. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I see what you mean. Richardsons prices look obscene.

Maybe they are taking a leaf out of the double glazing industry's methodology handbook, namely double/treble the prices before offering unbelievable discounts but only if you sign up there and then! 

• Like 1

I was in the Triangle just before we were banned the first time. I became addicted to Green Jack when they took over the Locks. It's about the only reason we walk up London Road nowadays, the shops up there have been in decline for many a year. 

I can't think I have ever been in the Flying Dutchman which is an embarrassing admission. Might try and put that right this summer, drop the missus and the kids in the park for a couple of hours and wander down. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

I can't think I have ever been in the Flying Dutchman which is an embarrassing admission. Might try and put that right this summer, drop the missus and the kids in the park for a couple of hours and wander down. 

In the past it's been good for gigs too, Murphy's Lore for example. 

Wander down, stagger back! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Wander down, stagger back! 

:91_thumbsup: :default_drinks:

Last time me and Mrs Nog went in the Flying Dutchman they had a band on. Good pub. Beer's nothing special, I think I was on the Guinness. But it's what I would call a proper pub. 

I think this thread has diversified somewhat...........

no change there then....... :default_norty:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

:91_thumbsup: :default_drinks:

Last time me and Mrs Nog went in the Flying Dutchman they had a band on. Good pub. Beer's nothing special, I think I was on the Guinness. But it's what I would call a proper pub. 

I think this thread has diversified somewhat...........

no change there then....... :default_norty:

Howard I think you need to start a pub thread best pints on the Broads north and south river side and town side ... Virtual pub crawl on here 🍺🍺🍺🍺🤣🙃🤣🙏👍👍🤪🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Howard I think you need to start a pub thread best pints on the Broads north and south river side and town side ... Virtual pub crawl on here 🍺🍺🍺🍺🤣🙃🤣🙏👍👍🤪🍺🍺🍺

Great idea SC - I just feel sorry about the OP - everything seems to degenerate into pubs. :default_biggrin:

Good job Fireman Sam is not around or I dread to think where we would end up. 

We could do with Mr Grendel to split the thread but I think the Mods are all asleep with Jean. 

I could get away with anything at the moment!!!! :default_norty:

7 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Hmmm.  Maybe something has escaped me, but  I'm just wondering why the determined and persistent move to hijack this thread?:default_icon_rolleyes:

No, I'm with you all the way there Mr O 

Guilty as charged :default_icon_redface:

I must admit I get a bit irritated when threads go astray. It is a bit unfair on the OP too. We can't blame Fireman Sam this time either. 

:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, catcouk said:

If you delve deeper Richardson's headline prices include fuel deposit and damage waiver. Hoseasons dont so seem a lot cheaper. If you try to book on Hoseasons these will be added and you get the same price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I don't plan on making any bookings of any description until some kind of normality returns to the world.  Im not paying over the odds to go away just for the sake of it.  If that takes another few years then so be it.   I might as well save the cash or put it to other more beneficial uses for the time being.  

That is ok when you have plenty of years left,  some of us,   our hour glass is going through fast at a pace of knots'.   We are grabbing whatever we can get and are grateful to just be able to get away.   Things will be different for a while but they will get back to normal and all those that love the sun will go abroad as usual and all those that love to freeze to death on the Broads will still be there booking up.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

If you delve deeper Richardson's headline prices include fuel deposit and damage waiver. Hoseasons dont so seem a lot cheaper. If you try to book on Hoseasons these will be added and you get the same price.

I was going to suggest that but didn't want to be accused of getting the thread back on topic .....

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, catcouk said:

Maybe the title should be HIGHER prices. It looks as though our planned holiday in April won't be allowed so I started looking at options to rebook with Richardson's. As best I can tell, prices have almost doubled (Covid related no doubt). We were due to go on White Champagne (a HUGE dual family boat that sleeps 10) for a week at the cost of £992. Looking at the same time next year, I can't find anything that sleeps more than 2 - and they're only classic boats! 

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a disease that has crept in across the whole holiday industry? Is it just Richardson's or is it everyone?

It doesn't look like we can afford to come back any time soon. I am incredibly sad. 

The part I have highlighted seems to me to be the crux of the matter. If the holiday you have booked is allowed, will you go on it? If it is not allowed, Richardson's may well be preparing to offer deferring the holiday till next year. This would also explain the shortage of advertised available boats.

Perhaps it is a tad early for people to debate  price hikes, it is a story still to unfold.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The part I have highlighted seems to me to be the crux of the matter. If the holiday you have booked is allowed, will you go on it? If it is not allowed, Richardson's may well be preparing to offer deferring the holiday till next year. This would also explain the shortage of advertised available boats.

Perhaps it is a tad early for people to debate  price hikes, it is a story still to unfold.

A fair point - I hope to speak to them in the week. Last year, I could see what was available and that was how we rebooked. As you say, maybe this is a story that is unfolding... 

2 hours ago, RS2021 said:

That's not true. All the boat's I originally mentioned work out substantially cheaper than quoted on the Richardsons site. eg. Superior Gem 16th April for 1 week all in cost £1206. Hoseasons all in £814. Pearl Gem Richardsons all in £1319, Hoseasons £899 and Majestic Gem Richardsons all in £1544, Hoseasons all in £1050. One set of pricing is wrong. It will be interesting to see which one! Also, the differential seems to be around a third% increase.

Interesting to see that they are advertising their prices as inclusive of fuel and damage waiver on their site. That's not readily apparent until you go into the cost pricing. Perhaps they are to go all inclusive to match NBD.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

That's not true. All the boat's I originally mentioned work out substantially cheaper than quoted on the Richardsons site. eg. Superior Gem 16th April for 1 week all in cost £1206. Hoseasons all in £814. Pearl Gem Richardsons all in £1319, Hoseasons £899 and Majestic Gem Richardsons all in £1544, Hoseasons all in £1050. One set of pricing is wrong. It will be interesting to see which one! Also, the differential seems to be around a third% increase.

Interesting to see that they are advertising their prices as inclusive of fuel and damage waiver on their site. That's not readily apparent until you go into the cost pricing. Perhaps they are to go all inclusive to match NBD.

David put in the prices on hoseasons for next year and see if they come out the same for this year ???

Further to the above, I've just been looking at the season prices for Majestic Gem as an example. Looking at Hoseasons, their cheapest price is £855 plus £150 fuel and £45 damage waiver = £1050 for March 22. This is the same price as quoted for the 16th April 22. Easter is sure to be more expensive than March, so the rates look wrong on Hoseasons - in which case, perhaps Richardsons are correct? If so, Hoseason will eventually notice and prices will match. The interesting quandary now is,  There's nothing to stop you booking a week on Majestic Gem for the 16th April 2022 with Hoseasons at £1050 all in. But would you take the chance that the price maybe incorrect, and Hoseasons will ask you to pay the difference? If they did you would be within your rights to cancel without charge as it's a change of contract. But at that time, perhaps your choices for Easter would be reduced. Alerting Richardsons to the price discrepancy will surely have them inform Hoseasons, and their prices will go up, if they are indeed in error.