***** F1 Spoiler *****

Another DNF for George Russell really feeling sorry for him..  That boy definitely needs to be put in a better car.. Lando is up there again holding his own. I’m glad to see Kimi still fighting on, Still always a delight to watch.. And well done to Max again 👍👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Another DNF for George Russell really feeling sorry for him..  That boy definitely needs to be put in a better car.. Lando is up there again holding his own. I’m glad to see Kimi still fighting on, Still always a delight to watch.. And well done to Max again 👍👍

Wouldnt worry about Russell as feel he has done enogh to be noted. Yep Lando had a good race but miss the honey badger being late on the brakes up the inside and taking places.

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I agree with OBB, I'm just grateful that I got to see the highlights without knowing the result beforehand :default_jumelles:

Griff

It is hard having no tv, radio or interweb on a sunday just incase something slips out, means a race day has become a day for washing, cleaning and clock watching. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

What I loved about this race weekend was the fact that field was so close, through qualifying at least, with at one point Max two tenths clear of second then only a further two tenths between second and twelfth. It seems to me that McLaren for one are, if not quite crossing the bridge between them and the front runners yet at least getting close. The midfield teams are really getting their act together too, some of them, anyway. 

I grew up watching what for me was the golden age of F1, with multiple potential winners of every race and the team and driver which performed best on the day had a great chance of winning rather than the modern era whereby results are often determined by something which happened in a factory thousands of miles and away and many months ago. 

For me one of the great seasons was 1980 when Alan Jones won the title in his Williams. In the 14 races that season there were no fewer than seven different race winners, and that was by no means unusual. 

It's a shame that this is happening through a season where we are looking at major formula changes for next year and sadly I see that opening up the field again with one or maybe two teams adapting to the new rules best and taking a clear advantage for a number of years whilst the others play catch up, as we saw with Mercedes at the dawn of the hybrid era. Ferrari got close to them at one stage, in fact for a season, perhaps a season and a half they were clearly quicker but only it turned out in hindsight by using an illegal fueling system. I fear we will see that happen again with the "2021" spec cars which were delayed until next year because of the pandemic. 

Mercedes have clearly been caught out by how much other teams are developing the 2020 spec car in season and have fallen behind Red Bull as a result and seem in the clutches of McLaren too. Toto Wolff says there is nothing in the locker and that what they have now is all they have. James Allison in a rare break of protocol paints a different picture and says they do have upgrades in the wing. If they are to compete for either drivers or constructors titles this year they will need them, and sooner rather than later or Max and his Red Bull will be out of sight. 

Mercedes policy has been clear, there is a spend cap now in place and that means that any development of this year's car compromises next years. Compromise next years car and you will be one of those aforementioned teams playing catch up and with the spend cap reducing year on year could find yourself in the wilderness for years to come. So MB have maximum effort on the new car, at the cost of performance now. From the differing reports coming out of Brackley it would appear the team are not fully resolved to this approach and the upcoming races are going to be fascinating to see if Mercedes, so renown for maximising their advantage when they have it, can play catch up just as well. 

What remains to be seen is if those teams putting so much effort into this years car have still managed to find a way to give maximum effort to next years, "within" the imposed spend cap. Spend caps are great for controlling spiraling costs and increasing competition IF they are enforced rigidly and policed properly. If not then you will find one team which blatantly cheats and rises to the top unfairly as we saw with Saracens in Rugby Union. 

• Like 2

Silverstone British Grand Prix weekend coverage is Live on Channel 4..

Friday.

14.10 to 15.45 Live Practice 

Saturday.

11.45 to 13.05 Live Practice 2

15.45 to 17.45 Live GP sprint Qualifying.

Sunday.

13.30 to 14.45 Live F1 British GP build Up..

14.45 to 18.00 Live F1 British Grand Prix.

Also on SKY ONE. Times may differ.. 

53 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Well what’s are thoughts on the qualifying Sprint race …???

I for one definitely give it a big thumbs up 👍👍.  

Not convinced yet that it is any better than the normal weekend format.  Looking at some figures on the poll run after the race, public opinion is split roughly 50/50 at the moment.  Feel sorry for Perez ending up last on the grid for today.

Chris

7 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Not convinced yet that it is any better than the normal weekend format.  Looking at some figures on the poll run after the race, public opinion is split roughly 50/50 at the moment.  Feel sorry for Perez ending up last on the grid for today.

Chris

Yep Perez he was lucky he didn’t hit the wall and manage to keep it going..