***** F1 Spoiler *****

What a farce!! Politics, money and inconsistency!! All the ingredients for a race of nonsense!!  I for one believe the whole of the structure of the FIA needs sorting out.  They might as well have titled the race "Whacky Races"!  How on earth Max Verstappen got driver of the day is beyond me.  Inconsistency with the timing of the deployment of the Red Flag on two occasions, use of the Virtual Safety car for longer periods than normal and the eventual penalties awarded against Max Verstappen makes me wonder if the whole thing was scripted to ensure a final showdown race this coming weekend.  For me, Lewis Hamiton was by far the better driver and to finish in the way he did with a damaged front end proves his calibre. I hope the two title contenders (drivers and teams) are now sat down and told exactly what will be expected of them in the final race and that any transgression from the rules of the sport will be severely punished.  Yes, we want a good hard race but Masi and the stewards need to be consistent in their control of it.  I nearly choked on my coffee when I heard the "deal" being offered to Red Bull after that incident involving Verstappen/Hamilton!!  I hope that the final race will not be as controversial!!

Chris

• Like 4

Yes it was nail biting and exciting, but I agree it was also a farce.

The rules should be clear, including when you have to concede a position, where that happens and how long before you can then take it back.

That aside, I think Verstappen is feeling the pressure, and making mistakes - look at his qualifying for instance. he pushed it that little bit too much whereas Hamilton, just kept it on the edge.

• Like 1

As far as the Saudi/Jeddah circuit goes - I really didn't like it.

Too difficult to overtake, not enough run-offs and it was bound to result in collisions and safety cards/red flags.

It might be fun to drive under qualifying conditions, but I don't feel it was a good racing circuit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi I watched it and what a Race it was with a lot of incidents happening on the Circuit now Lewis Hamilton must Win the Last Race to be Crowned Champion once again. 

He doesn't have to actually win, he just needs to finish ahead of Verstappen.

And I hope he does !

• Like 1

That was just too much in every aspect for me. If they are going to race there again then the track needs altering for a start. On driving standards, well, we have seen it all before and that depends on which camp you are in and how you define dangerous driving ie Brake testing the car behind.

On race control and penalties, yes that is a difficult job but what point is a time penalty given out after a race has finished if it doesnt effect anything and on race control making offers to teams, that is a big No No for me.

Poor Charlie Whitting must be spinning in his grave after yesterday and what are the odds on the championship being decided in a court room this year rather than on a race track I wonder.

• Like 2

I could not agree more with ExSurveyor, that track is not fit for Formula 1 racing. It is just the type of event that Liberty Media swore they would move away from when they took over the sport. It had little to do with motor racing, from the organiser's stand point at least. Like the other Grands Prix in that part of the world it is all about prestige, international acceptance and big business. The fact that there are cars driving around a track is hardly even secondary and that is why we got that absolute joke. If Liberty Media have one iota of integrity then they will not sanction any return to Saudi Arabia until a safe racing environment can be assured. Sadly, it is becoming more apparent to me that they don't, that actually they are more controlling and manipulative even than the regime which went before, headed by Bernie Ecclestone. 

As for the race the best thing we can say is no one died, and on this occasion that is not a throw away remark, not some meaningless idiom. Despite Verstappen's best efforts Hamilton won the race. Sadly those "best efforts" were not confined to getting from lights to flag as quickly as possible but included a liberal sprinkling of what is becoming very questionable driving standards. To be  blunt he is rapidly turning into a cheat, one which the governing body the FIA will not take in hand due to the unhealthy control that Helmut Marko and Dietrich Mateschitz seem able to exert over the sport with their threats of leaving F1 if decisions don't go their way and talk of forming a break away series. 

Formula 1 and the FIA have a long a chequered history of "surprising" decisions, of rulings apparently not equally applied to different competitors. For many years it was joked that FIA stood for "Ferrari International Assistance" such was the favouritism that marque seemed to enjoy in any decision making, especially of the disciplinary type. Now it seems to be Red Bull who are gaining that benefit. The decision not penalise Verstappen for forcing Hamilton off track in Brazil was without doubt the most bizarre I have seen in my fifty years of watching Formula 1. It was wrong, blatantly corrupt and to make things worse race control covered by the decision with pathetic reasoning that does not even abide by their own written rules. 

I just hope that we can see a good final race shoot out to decide the champion but with Max knowing that if Lewis does not finish then he will be champion I have grave concerns. I am also extremely uncomfortable knowing that Verstappen goes into the race with three team mates, whilst Hamilton has only one, and that a team mate who knows this will be his last race for Mercedes ahead of what has become an increasingly acrimonious split and the only thing I think Hamilton can rely on is his own brilliance. 

• Like 3

I think there should be more tracks like Jeddah... Yes I hear you all saying what..???

Jeddah is based on a street circuit.. What Liberty insisted.. And Liberty wants to introduce more street circuits... Jeddah is there first new one.. 

We have all been moaning how boring F1 has been over the years with the same face winning and team..

And the first year we have had a proper challenge and everyone is up in arms... Both Top Drivers have been bad as each other.. They both want one thing is to win..

Remember the younger ones are on the up.. Max is No doubt a world champion waiting to happen... Lando and George to in time..

Let’s face it Hamilton hasn’t had a challenge since Rosberg beat him... 

I personally enjoyed yesterday’s race and track even Hamilton’s constant winging down the radio... Red flags you name it ... But no one was hurt... This is nearly racing..  Next week hopefully will be a proper full on race to the end.. 

Bring Back Bernie I say 👍👍

I find it difficult to accept that it is ok to force an opponent off the road, take short cuts on several occasions , "slow down to let opponent pass when told to do so and weave left and right when opponent is trying to pass, slam the brakes on to force opponent to run into the back of you (hopefully causing him enough damage to force him out of the race) and then claim that you have done nothing wrong and "cannot understand what the idiot was doing when he ran into me."

By the way, don't forget that if all went to plan and he has to retire due to damage from hitting my back-end the I win the championship and "Oh look how clever I am I outwitted him and he fell for it"

Show him how to drive properly Lewis !!!!!!

Jeff 

• Like 7

I cannot help but see similarities between the way Schumacher (Snr) used to drive to make a gain by any means possible and the way Verstappen is now doing the same sort of antics.

Hopefully the stewards will see right through it

I have totally gone right off Hamilton with his 'Holier than thow' attitude and 'Preaching' of late but do want him to achieve that eight title if only to put Schumacher in his place behind 'Our' tax evading Brit

Griff

• Like 4