Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Chap in the yacht without the mast is a liveaboard. Was speaking to him a few weeks back,  and he's been on that since COVID hit.

Same size as mine - I couldn't imagine spending a year on a 23' yacht .....

Yes, especially as we have shore power again. Late morning we couldn't work out why there was power on the electric posts but the power on board had cut out. None of our our switches had tripped. 

Fortunately our management company's local agent arranged for an engineer to come out to us from Horning who fixed a problem with the wiring of our shore power cable. 

So, we are happy bunnies again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

an engineer to come out to us from Horning who fixed a problem with the wiring of our shore power cable

That reminds me of the issue we had on Swan Reflection. The inverter was fine until we were on shore power and then it tripped out. The engineer's answer was that the yard had given us the wrong cable for that boat.

Well, today has been a bit of a cruise! Left Neatistead before 8.30 and only moored up about half an hour or so ago (6.45'ish).

We had intended to go to Beccles but just past St Olaves we started to doubt if we could get there in time to get a card for the electric posts from the Yacht Station Master. 

We spun around downstream of the abandoned railway bridge and went up (or is it down?) the New Cut.

We wanted to find a mooring with electric, water and access to a food shop, so we tried Loddon. The Staithe was full, so we travelled all the way back down the Chet and up the Yare to our home mooring in Brundall. Plugged into the lecky, dimplex warming up the boat nicely and Graham has gone off in the car to Co-op.

Time to relax after a very long day. 

It's raining again, but we really can't complain having had mostly good weather today. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Well, today has been a bit of a cruise! Left Neatistead before 8.30 and only moored up about half an hour or so ago (6.45'ish).

We had intended to go to Beccles but just past St Olaves we started to doubt if we could get there in time to get a card for the electric posts from the Yacht Station Master. 

We spun around downstream of the abandoned railway bridge and went up (or is it down?) the New Cut.

We wanted to find a mooring with electric, water and access to a food shop, so we tried Loddon. The Staithe was full, so we travelled all the way back down the Chet and up the Yare to our home mooring in Brundall. Plugged into the lecky, dimplex warming up the boat nicely and Graham has gone off in the car to Co-op.

Time to relax after a very long day. 

It's raining again, but we really can't complain having had mostly good weather today. 

Wow, Helen, you must really like having electric. Is it worth it? I've never bothered myself, I like my freedom to moor wherever.

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Wow, Helen, you must really like having electric. Is it worth it? I've never bothered myself, I like my freedom to moor wherever.

Me too mate. I'm moored near Norwich and have no leccy, still warm and comfy though 😊

I had wondered where you had chosen for today's destination Helen. What a long cruise that was.

I haven't done the crossing north to south or vice versa yet. We fully intend to do it one day, probably hire on the north and then get to the south. But I would want 5 or 6 days on the other side rather than only 1 or 2 days as a lot of people seem to do.

Certainly been a better day. I got out for a walk before I started work and it was beautiful.

Having leccy is not really needed, but once you have it, life becomes a lot easier.

On a cold/windy/wet night snuggling in the cabin with the fan heater going, the telly on and the wine open it does not matter what is happening outside.

Then when lights out time putting the oil heater on for through the night background warmth is bliss, being of that age of midnight visits.

Nothing wrong with not having this luxury but once you have had it,.

Would you turn the central heating off at home?

Wear your hair shirt if you want, I prefer my cashmere sweater. 

paul

• Like 3

That's just it, we know getting on an electric point isn't essential. We have hot water bottles and the Webasto, so we could do without and have done so quite happily in the past on chilly nights.  However, having the dimplex on in the evening is lovely, a luxury, but we have taken the trouble to bring it with us and it is much quieter compared to the Webasto, and we can keep it on all night.

• Like 3

I find it odd that someone would hire a very recently built boat that has 240v. They moor right next to an electric post, do not plug in, but run the engine a lot (not after 8pm I hasten to add).

I haven't mentioned what boat it was, as I do want to name and shame. Anyway, there might be a reasonable explanation, like Jean's case, where they had been given the wrong cable.

We returned home yesterday, as Graham wanted to take Seren to her agility class this morning. He really needs to check his email whilst we away though, as this morning's class was cancelled. Just think...we could have had an extra half day and overnight. (Can you guess I'm a bit miffed with him?)

Anyway, we had a good time. I'm switching over to the normal 'Carried Away...' thread now to post up a proper (i.e. longwinded) account of our trip.

Will hopefully be back on this thread for our next week on MS, starting the final Saturday in June.

:default_stinky:

• Like 5

I had a feeling you would do that. It was probably a good idea anyway with the weather we woke up to this morning. It’s warmed up a bit now and about stopped raining but it’s been an indoors day. 

• YnysMon changed the title to Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

Just four more sleeps until we are back on MS on Saturday. This time we will have my father-in-law with us and my younger son Alec (as well as Seren). Just as well that Harry couldn't get leave from work, as there wouldn't be room for him in the car. As it is, we are pondering the logistics of squeezing us and all our stuff into the car and roof box. Bear in mind that when just Graham, Seren and I travel to MS the car and the roof box are normally crammed. We have gone through our packing list and pared it down to the minimum.

Tides are good to go through Gt Yarmouth Sunday morning, provided we start off early. I had been hoping to go up to Coltishall Monday or Tuesday, but I guess that might be in doubt if the water levels don't subside. Never mind. It will be Dad's first time on the Broads. Alec has been sailing with us a couple of times, but it will be his first time on a motor cruiser. He's not been up the Ant beyond Barton Turf, the Bure above Belaugh nor further south than Acle, so lots to explore. On the other hand he's been up to West Somerton, Hickling and Horsey on both sailing holidays, so no need to worry about not being able to get under PH bridge.

Harry had been making suggestions for places he was impressed with when he came with us on MS in September (he loved going up the Waveney and into Norwich). I'm determined to find at least one wild mooring, as it's a while since we've done that. 

Cross fingers that the weather is better and warmer next week, especially as Dad tends to feel the cold. 

• Like 6

if you are really lucky you might get a space on stalham staithe. Wroxham bridge was 6'6 the other day, if you do  get up there look out for the death and glory opposite the boatyard at belaugh. if you pack thermals for dad he will stay warm, as for wild moorings, well I know plenty of water rail sized ones, but bigger ones are available too.

• Like 1

Stalham Staithe is somewhere I’d very much like to stop at, but what’s the chance of getting in there? Are the ‘rules’ on mooring restrictions being followed there nowadays?

With four of us on the boat, I’m guessing that I might need to do a more frequent ‘fridge’ shop. So, if we can’t moor at Wroxham (I.e. past the bridge) and Stalham Staithe turns out to be taken, what’s the policy at Richardson’s? Would they allow us to moor up for a couple of hours to visit Tesco’s? Can anyone advise on their policy on allowing that for syndicate boats?