Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Took this photo at lunchtime today. Unfortunately I didn’t get the bridge height marker in. And I don’t know if it was high tide, low tide, or in between. But maybe if you zoom in it will tell you something … or maybe not! 😂

236501BC-B4DB-4FAF-BE60-FFEDC61DE4A8.jpeg

• Like 2

Oooh Jean! Cant see a bridge marker and definitely don’t like the look of those black clouds just beyond the bridge.

I won’t  stress about getting under the bridge but will follow advice and seek a short term mooring in Barnes if necessary. Alternatively, stay up the Ant for longer and shop in Stalham.

Although I make plans in advance, we invariably change them and just go with the flow!

Actually, that’s just what I’m doing in work at present. The project I had been ‘bought out’ to work on has been paused for at least 12 months. So, the last week or so I’ve been tidying up loose ends, trying to leave partly completed work in an orderly fashion so it can be picked up again by me or someone else following the pause, and I’m waiting to hear what I’ll be redirected to work on. At least I have reassurance that I have a job, which is a lot to be thankful for, and even if it’s something completely new, that will be interesting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I've been the same at work this week, thankful to have a job but frantically busy preparing for some time off. 

This time last year, we were due to go to Cornwall for a week, but for reasons that need no explanation, it was postponed.  I managed to swap my holidays at work and we went on our boat for two weeks from the 4th July (Liberation Day Mk 1).  Little did I know at the time, that it would be my last ‘normal’ week at work, as when I returned on 20th July, I was called into a meeting and put on notice of redundancy, which led to me taking voluntary redundancy due to proposed changes to my role, contract, t’s & c’s and hours.  I was worried initially, but my life has changed so much in the intervening period, I now realise that it was the best thing that could have happened.

• Like 3

I was called into a meeting and put on notice of redundancy, which led to me taking voluntary redundancy due to proposed changes to my role, contract, t’s & c’s and hours.  

we were almost the same having been amalgamated with 2 other uk companies and spent 4 years being the poor relation we ended up not having a formal role in the company and being promised redundancy often in the end we just had to leave it became untenable to stay

i would have committed murder !!

needless to say it was the best thing we ever did and have absolutely NO regrets

• Like 1

We did get to Polkey's Mill and it's so peaceful. Stupidly, I took photos with my camera not my phone, so you will have to wait for the proper tale to see the evidence.

Another couple of photos en route, just after Alec took the helm (took to it like a duck to water, no zig zags whatsoever). 

IMG_20210626_153321522_HDR.thumb.jpg.7731d8b7de36583fead119c7b99bbf00.jpgIMG_20210626_153331156_HDR.thumb.jpg.e0f238cb5223bb6d82154ce834edba0c.jpg

• Like 4

Had a brief stop at Stokesby to visit their shop, and it was well worth the visit. Got some Cornish pasties for our lunch. Alec is currently snacking on one of their sausage rolls.

IMG_20210627_100305095.thumb.jpg.028471575cb51fbbb116c57aad627cc8.jpg

I also got myself some chocs.

:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I'm waiting to get down to Stokesby at some point for that very reason.

By the way ... chaos in Wroxham by the bridge this morning. Lots of boats having to try to hold station while others couldn't make up their mind what to do. I would steer well clear for now!!

Had a brief stop at Stokesby to visit their shop, and it was well worth the visit. Got some Cornish pasties for our lunch. Alec is currently snacking on one of their sausage rolls.

IMG_20210627_100305095.thumb.jpg.028471575cb51fbbb116c57aad627cc8.jpg

Sorry Helen, but unless they’re made in Cornwall, they’re not Cornish pasties.  Ginsters are fortunate that their factory is in Cornwall, ‘cos they’re not proper Cornish pasties either!!!  😁😁

• Haha 1

It was chaos at Ludham bridge too. I was immediately behind a boat with a rather high airdraft who neglected to make any preparations until they were immediately before the bridge. Preparations included taking several bicycles off the top. Meanwhile a stream of boats were concertina'ing behind me. Arrgh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quiet night was spent at Stalham. We are now moored on the wild mooring in Womack Dyke, having done a number of stop-offs on the way: Gaye's Staithe (for water), How Hill and Potter Heigham. Also, Alec and I have been for a walk up Horsefen Lane as far as the bakery.

Nice to have briefly met NBN member Tim as he passed us on earlier. 

IMG_20210628_164940369_HDR.thumb.jpg.1274dfae097fb5d046cea16b9f51a861.jpg

• Like 3

. . . . . . . . Also, Alec and I have been for a walk up Horsefen Lane as far as the bakery. . . . . . . . 

IMG_20210628_164940369_HDR.thumb.jpg.1274dfae097fb5d046cea16b9f51a861.jpg

Did you sample any of the offerings from the bakery, pur chance??  Obviously concerned regarding the potential adverse effects to your health of sugary treats and alcohol!!!  😉😉😁

We bought a white bloomer fresh and warm from the oven (lady said she does two batches each day), Portuguese tarts and some cookies. The loaf was just about the most expensive I've ever purchased, but also the best, so worth it. I changed my dinner plans from pork steaks to salad so we could enjoy the loaf at its best.  Portuguese tarts went down a treat too for 'pudding'.  Yum!

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Womack to Beccles today, with a detour around Oulton Broad. We've had some rain, but it's still very pleasant. Not cold at all 

IMG_20210629_163041609_HDR.jpg

That was a long cruising day, Helen, but why not? It looks like it's quiet beside you at Beccles.

We quite like long cruising days. We got to Beccles around three'ish, so had time for a Alec and I to take a walk up to town to have a look around.

The yacht station isn't that busy. We probably didn't stay north long enough to judge, but it seems that the rivers are not that busy this week, not mid week anyway (Sunday between Acle and Barton Broad was manic). I wonder if the trend that Hunters Yard reported of people taking more short breaks is general trend?

• Like 1

planning a passage through the new cut to make the best of the tides in both directions is always a tricky one, you can almost guarantee going against the tide going through the new cut as the rivers equalise, get to one end at the start of slack and you can have the tidal assistance down one river and up the other.

have a good day Ynsmon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

you can almost guarantee going against the tide going through the new cut as the rivers equalise,

Not strictly true. The New Cut from the Haddiscoe end to Reedham will always follow the current on the Lower Waveney and Lower Yare. The rivers do not equalise along the Cut.

So if you are approaching Haddiscoe on a falling tide you can either go straight down The Lower Waveney with the tide under you, or you can go down The Cut with the tide under you and turn right at the end and keep the tide under you all the way down to Breydon.

Put simply if the lower Waveney and Yare are ebbing the flow along the Cut will be from Haddiscoe towards the Reedham end. If the lower Waveney and Yare are flooding then the flow will be from the Reedham end towards Haddiscoe.

• Like 1