Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

A long time since have posted on here, but Oulton Broad was one of our favourite places to go to on our autumn/winter trips in MS.  Rosie used to love the sport of trying to out do the squirrels, but usually failed dismally.  Unfortunately sold the shares prior to Mambos arrival.  We hope to get up there again sometime in a static caravan.

• Like 1

About 7.40am. Slack water was due for 6.55, but we found the river through Yarmouth was absolutely slack as we were passed through, which was just what I wanted…just in case we had to turn around due to the high river levels. We started off from Acle just after 6, as soon as the first glimmer of dawn showed in the east.

Our first taste of night nav, though it soon got lighter.

Today has been special somehow. Our plans for starting off before dawn to cross Breydon worked out. It has been wonderfully sunny and mild all day. This afternoon we had a little jaunt on the train to Lowestoft and back and have just finished a really good early evening curry takeaway from The Labone (Indian restaurant located in the Oulton Broad North station building). 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SwanR said:

some good places to stop for a snack or a meal. 

Well we were intending to stop at Flying Fifteens but I spotted they were charging 70p more for a dairy free latte compared to the dairy version. I know dairy free milks are more expensive, but that just felt ridiculous.

Graham had a coffee and a bakewell flavour flapjack from the little shop in the railway station. 

• Like 1

Honestly! Some people! One of the boats that had been on the pontoon near us at the Yacht Station left shortly before we did. Moments before setting off they dumped two black bin bags on the pontoon and off they went.

Graham took the bags to the bins and reported the incident to the Harbour Master. The guy was very grateful as he said the seagulls would have ripped the bags open in no time. The laziness and lack of consideration of some people never ceases to amaze me. 

On a more positive note, we are on our way to Beccles, as the water levels this morning look like they have dropped. 

We have another recommendation too. Before leaving we visited The Old Dairy. Picked up some pastries for breakfast and cakes for later this morning. Yum!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Honestly! Some people! One of the boats that had been on the pontoon near us at the Yacht Station left shortly before we did. Moments before setting off they dumped two black bin bags on the pontoon and off they went.

Graham took the bags to the bins and reported the incident to the Harbour Master. The guy was very grateful as he said the seagulls would have ripped the bags open in no time. The laziness and lack of consideration of some people never ceases to amaze me. 

Similar attitude to those folk who unload their shopping from the trolley into their car boot and leave the trolley for someone else to collect.  Sadly, some peoples standards have slipped to a deplorable level these days.

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We have another recommendation too. Before leaving we visited The Old Dairy. Picked up some pastries for breakfast and cakes for later this morning. Yum!

Cakes??  I’ll be there!!  :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Left Beccles before 6.30 this morning to take advantage of the outgoing tide. It was a pretty gloomy morning though, so no pretty sunrise. Also, it started drizzling shortly after we left, more like a fine mist really. 

When we emerged from the New Cut around 9.30 the tide was still flowing out, so we moored up at Reedham to (a) wait for the tide to turn and (b) get some cakes to take back to the boat from Cannell's,  the newish Farm Shop that's in the building formerly known as Cupcakes. We had coffee and cake before setting off again. They have a few tables inside and outside. The Post Office tearooms was also open. Cannell's also do pizza's for takeaway and also are open evenings for dining in Friday and Saturday.

We headed up the Chet as we wanted to pick up a Complete First Aid Kit from Boots that we'd ordered last week.

There was a warning sign at Chet mouth about dredging going on from Nov to Feb. Just past the Hardley Flood bird hide there was a BA platform with machinery scooping mud from a barge and depositing it on the bank. We had to hold station for about 10-15 minutes or so, then a work boat pushed the empty barge upriver and we could pass. Further up river by the Chedgrave Common mooring there was another platform with a dredger depositing the mud into a barge, so we had another, shorter, wait whilst the work boat picked that barge up and took it downriver.

There were a few boats at Loddon staithe today, more than last week anyway, still plenty of room though. 

Moored up here for the rest of the day and night.

• Like 5

Swancraft to the rescue (again). We used up one of our gas cylinders about an hour ago. We tried Loddon DIY but they only had empties, tried ringing around (including Brooms), no luck until we tried Swancraft. They are so obliging and are putting a cylinder aside for us until Friday.

Phew!

• Like 4

About half an hour ago we almost got fumed out. A boat that was side on, and had been since before we arrived, took ages to warm up their engine before departing, filling our boat with noxious diesel fumes. We were not pleased (understatement) and not impressed that he had hogged the staithe and caused other boats looking for a space to turn around and go elsewhere, when there should have been plenty of room for them, and also, not impressed that he left as the light was failing (some time after sunset) without nav lights.

There, I've had my moan. Lungs still feeling battered though. 

• Sad 2

Harry and I had a lovely lunch in Norwich, without Graham unfortunately as he preferred to stay with the boat. We went to Shiki, a Japanese restaurant in Tombland, opposite the cathedral. It was good value too. I had a seafood udon stir fry dish and Harry went for the mixed platter.

IMG_20211111_122944181.thumb.jpg.1a561af7bdb0dcfe29094d8eb1660ff9.jpg

IMG_20211111_122955982.thumb.jpg.01a5078b92f1af32b312327259035c52.jpg

• Like 1