Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

It was mostly stuff we were deliberately looking for, apart from the Christmas cards. Swan food, cantuccini for Graham, doggy dental chews, tomatoes, washing up liquid etc. :default_biggrin: I quite like how you can buy a wide range of ‘sensible’ things at a good price amongst the tat.

We had thought of visiting Stalham Tesco’s this morning, a slight detour on the journey back down from Dilham. However, the free moorings that Richardson’s normally offer to visitors were all taken by Richardson’s boats, so we had had to make do with visiting what was Throwers in Ludham and Lathams, plus a visit to Ludham butcher’s.

Unfortunately the Horsefen Lane bakery was closed. :default_badday:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Unfortunately the Horsefen Lane bakery was closed. :default_badday:

It was on the Monday when we went a few weeks ago, but it was open on Thursday.  Got a lovely crusty loaf and some Portuguese tarts.  

22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

It was mostly stuff we were deliberately looking for, apart from the Christmas cards. Swan food, cantuccini for Graham, doggy dental chews, tomatoes, washing up liquid etc. :default_biggrin: I quite like how you can buy a wide range of ‘sensible’ things at a good price amongst the tat.

Yeah, to be fair some of the stuff in there is useful.  We normally get dog treats and odd bits of shopping, but I had to hurry through the display of tasteless, musical Christmas ornaments they’ve had out since September to get to the things I want, not to mention those useful items that you never knew you needed until you saw them!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

It was on the Monday when we went a few weeks ago, but it was open on Thursday.  Got a lovely crusty loaf and some Portuguese tarts.  

Yeah, to be fair some of the stuff in there is useful.  We normally get dog treats and odd bits of shopping, but I had to hurry through the display of tasteless, musical Christmas ornaments they’ve had out since September to get to the things I want, not to mention those useful items that you never knew you needed until you saw them!!

What you mean, Didn't  you like the very tall figures singing non stop Christmas carols?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

What you mean, Didn't  you like the very tall figures singing non stop Christmas carols?

September is a touch early!!  Thing is, I know when the big day is and I don’t need to have my day spoiled three months in advance.  Just call me Grinch!! 😉

• Love 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Enjoy your evening on board Helen.

We will now, having decided rather belatedly to turn the boat on her ropes. Bow was pointing bridge-ward, partly into the wind, so the bow slap was something chronic. It’s much better now, and fortunately, we completed the manoeuvre before the current downpour.

• Like 1

Good thing we moored at Dilham Tuesday night not last night. River levels at Potter H are rather high this morning. Mind you, we wouldn't have risked Dilham had rain been forecast for Tuesday.

This morning when we did our engine checks we found the oil rather low, so topped up before setting off. It was fine at first, but when we were nearing the downstream quiet moorings I noticed the oil pressure gauge was dropping slightly. We decided to turn around and are back on the same mooring again. Have spoken to the BCBM agent and he's contacting Brooms for us. 

We could be in worse places. At least we are accessible by road, have credit left on the lekky post and have Latham's nearby.

We skipped that Bridgestone's lunch as we got on our way again before 12, the Brooms engineer having brought us more oil. Apparently they have been aware of a minor leak and think we'll be fine. On our way up the Bure. Not sure where to yet.:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

Moored up at Ranworth a few moments ago. Not quite on the 'taxi rank' but one along. Sheltered hopefully. We did go up to Horning but, as is typical, there was space for two boats on the staithe...each just a bit smaller than MS.

Passed both Evening Shadow and Silver Cloud in Horning and exchanged waves. Also Southern Comfort set off as we were approaching. I didn't know they ran tours at this time of year.

• Like 3

We are moored at Neatishead this evening, on electric again. Lovely and quiet.

The only thing was the number of fishermen here until late afternoon. I don't mind the presence of fishermen at all, we all enjoy the Broads in our own way. However, they didn't budge an inch when we were trying to moor, and people who came in after us experienced the same, worse really as there was a chap with a keep net down just where they were trying to reverse into. Poor woman had to fend the boat off to get around him.  He did take her rope whilst she passed around his back, but that was it.

It felt quite intimidating. It's put me off trying our luck at Irstead and Stalham staithe too. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We only had a short cruise this morning from Potter to Acle Bridge. We had booked a table at The White Horse Upton, so wanted to allow plenty of time to walk there.

Just before we left I spotted a pm from Jean (SwanR). She had forwarded a copy of the latest flood warning, so we took a few precautions by raising the electric connections off the ground before leaving the boat, as we were using the adaptor and an extension lead. Just as well we did as it looks like the river slightly overtopped the  mooring at the high tide half an hour or so before we got back, not by much though. It's good that the electric posts in Acle are raised on concrete plinths. Graham is currently lengthening our fenders (yet again).

IMG_20211107_135635852.thumb.jpg.edba43844794b98837dca4c900a0fe32.jpg

We can highly recommend the Sunday roast at The White Horse. Excellent quality, and a good helping, including a good selection of veggies. 

By the way, we noticed the Acle Dunes Cafe was open this morning (delicious smell of bacon as we passed). They are closed now, but that might be because the area just outside is awash. 

IMG_20211107_135444361_HDR.thumb.jpg.63172a0da2d078ab12eb7dde30e2b93d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1