Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I should have gone to check if the shop was open. The weather is so horrible I've just hunkered down though. 

Bow slap here is something chronic.

Shop pert of the pub so probably closed too. 

Real struggle mooring here but plus side being blown off bank is a comfortable mooring. 

Mind you, after a few double gins Mrs Nog will be sleeping soundly particularly if I'm paying :default_norty:

Hope you get a good night's sleep though and look forward to your further adventures tomorrow :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It's a good thing there's a spare key for the engine on board. The key that we received through the post doesn't work. It won't turn. 

:default_badday:

Broom have charged the syndicate for those!! 😡. Time to have a word with Dee, Helen, methinks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Broom have charged the syndicate for those!! 😡. Time to have a word with Dee, Helen, methinks.

I will! The guy who was on board last week had some difficulty initially too but did get his key to work, and he's emailed some tips, so we'll have another try tomorrow. 

On 12/02/2022 at 16:46, YnysMon said:

IMG_20220212_152759357.thumb.jpg.af8d16d2311fc2d84899f592b5da9b42.jpg

I hope I am not intruding, but I have just noticed something in this photo of your new engine.

The heat exchanger cap has a small plastic pipe going to a plastic water bottle sitting beside the engine in the bilge. That cap on the heat exchanger is not a pressure cap, it is where you fill the engine with coolant when necessary.

This pipe should be going to an expansion chamber, which has a pressure cap and should be fitted on the bulkhead at a level higher than the engine.  Without this, the cooling system will not be pressurised as it should be and so the thermostat will not be working properly.

This chamber is in opaque plastic so that you can see the coolant level in it and is exactly the same as what you probably have in your car. I am sure Peachments will have this part in stock and it is rather important to have it fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now moored up at Irstead. Initially we went to Neatishead, but when we got there the water was off (should have got water at Acle or Ludham Bridge), so we went to Sutton Staithe where we filled up. Sutton was really muddy though, what with that and the traffic noise we though we'd find another mooring. It was before midday anyway, so plenty of time. If Irstead had been full we'd have tried Ranworth.

:default_biggrin:

I won't add a photo as the signal here is really slow.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Helen 

Were they fishing at Neatishead? 

Might get up there in the next day or so

Only a couple fishing on one side. We had no problems mooring, if it wasn't for the water we'd have stayed there. 

You were off early this morning. :default_biggrin: We had been expecting to see Humber Bridge at Acle, as we set off not long after seven ourselves,  but you were long gone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I hope I am not intruding, but I have just noticed something in this photo of your new engine.

The heat exchanger cap has a small plastic pipe going to a plastic water bottle sitting beside the engine in the bilge. That cap on the heat exchanger is not a pressure cap, it is where you fill the engine with coolant when necessary.

This pipe should be going to an expansion chamber, which has a pressure cap and should be fitted on the bulkhead at a level higher than the engine.  Without this, the cooling system will not be pressurised as it should be and so the thermostat will not be working properly.

This chamber is in opaque plastic so that you can see the coolant level in it and is exactly the same as what you probably have in your car. I am sure Peachments will have this part in stock and it is rather important to have it fitted.

Ours doesn’t seem to have a tank fitted either, could this be why the engine runs on the cold side.  Sorry Helen to invade your holiday tale, we were out at the weekend and the wind was certainly giving us problems. 

D206FE99-FDBD-4905-9D1F-A6BAA50DBA53.png

I would guess there is an option of setups depending on wether you use a blank cap or pressure cap on the heat exchanger, it is effectively a header tank after all as long as the water level stays above the top hose level, the thermostat should look after the running temp.

Does that turbo ever get to spool up on river speeds or does it get a proper leg stretch from time to time? Under used turbos tend to make for a smokey engine as they never keep the oil sealed very well without a bit of pressure in the compressor side, my volvos give a good puff of blue on a regular basis on the rivers but run clean once opened up.

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

You can fill up with water at Ranworth and Womack (very slow here though) and Gayes staithe I believe Paddy’s lane is now back on too

Thanks. We passed Gaye's Staithe assuming the water there would also be turned off.

I didn't know there was water available at Paddy's Lane. 

29 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Does that turbo ever get to spool up on river speeds or does it get a proper leg stretch from time to time? Under used turbos tend to make for a smokey engine as they never keep the oil sealed very well without a bit of pressure in the compressor side, my volvos give a good puff of blue on a regular basis on the rivers but run clean once opened up.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no turbo on the Nanni 4.50, which is what’s been fitted to Moonlight Shadow.

Brundall Navy - By not having a pressurised header tank or having a pressurised expansion tank as in your case, primarily this means that the engine coolant will boil at normal boiling point.  Pressuring the system by either of the above means raises the boiling point of the engine coolant.  I would have thought you should really have a pressurised system

Having a non-pressurised system - I doubt this would lower your engine operating temperature, I would have normally thought the opposite would be the case and it would be getting too hot to quickly.  Maybe the thermostat is sticking open or not enough load on the engine via too small prop / pitch on prop ?

Griff

it looks to me that both have a similar cap, it has a vent pipe, so i would assume that it is a pressure cap, its just that one is vented to the bilge, and the other vented to a container.

as stated earlier, the cold water header tank is both a heat exchanger and a header tank combined, so no necessity for an external reservoir (and 2 less connections to fail.

Pressurisation won't change the running temperature,  it does prevent gasses in the water boiling out causing bubbles around hotspots like exhaust ports which can soon cause a cracked head, an under stressed broads boat engine wouldn't come to much harm.

Some caps have two way valves so can pressurise and blow some excess out if needed and suck some back in when cooled.

11 hours ago, Lulu said:

Its down at the staithe. Nice and easy to fill up from there. Its now our go to place to fill up

Ah, that's the one I think of as Barton Turf rather than Paddy's Lane. That one was turned off too. They had put down a load of newish chippings at the Staithe, so a good mooring.

• Like 1