Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Hi, NorfolkNog' having these Winter Breaks must be bliss as this going to be my First Time at the end of this month for Two weeks as I usually go in September but I found it too Crowded so I hope to enjoy being on the Broads this time. I'm very sorry to know Graham, is under the weather and having some issues with the Boat but as Helen, it was nice being on the Broads on their allocation time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Only one week to go before our next jaunt. As Graham reminds me…only eight sleeps to go!

We are glad that our eldest son Harry will be with us again. All we need now is decent weather. (I’ve probably jinxed us by saying that!)

• Like 2

Only one more sleep to go!

Even more excitingly, it will be the final time that we pick up the boat from Brooms. We have secured a mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, so we'll take the car to Horning on Monday and then stay up north for the rest of the week. We are planning to spend most of our July week down south, so staying up north next week won't be a hardship. 

Hopefully I'll be able to take a few photos of her new mooring next week and send them to Warren for posting on our lovely new MS website: https://moonlightshadow.net/

Helen

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Only one more sleep to go!

Even more excitingly, it will be the final time that we pick up the boat from Brooms. We have secured a mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, so we'll take the car to Horning on Monday and then stay up north for the rest of the week. We are planning to spend most of our July week down south, so staying up north next week won't be a hardship. 

Hopefully I'll be able to take a few photos of her new mooring next week and send them to Warren for posting on our lovely new MS website: https://moonlightshadow.net/

Helen

Hello Helen am pleased that you are joining us and a number of syndicate boats at Horning Pleasurecraft. Later this year the marina is undertaking development and will have a number of new moorings towards the river after removing the old derelict building.

Regards 

Alan

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Helen am pleased that you are joining us and a number of syndicate boats at Horning Pleasurecraft. Later this year the marina is undertaking development and will have a number of new moorings towards the river after removing the old derelict building.

Regards 

Alan

Thanks Alan. Yes, it will be nice to have a little 'syndicate club' at Horning. We are looking forward to meeting more people from other syndicates.

Helen

Welcome to HPC!

are you guys moving to a Friday turnaround or back to the yard for the engineer and then turnaround Friday?

looking forward to seeing all the work that has recently been completed on MS.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Welcome to HPC!

are you guys moving to a Friday turnaround or back to the yard for the engineer and then turnaround Friday?

looking forward to seeing all the work that has recently been completed on MS.

Thanks Matt!

We are currently having an online discussion about the turnaround day, though it looks like Friday has all the votes so far. To be honest, a lot of people left the boat on Friday when it was at Brooms, as it was impossible to get fuel and pump-out anywhere nearby before the early time that we were supposed to vacate the boat on Saturday morning.

It's all happened rather fast today, as we only got the final confirmation that we had the mooring this morning. Lots of whoops of joy and gifs on our Moonlight Shadow owners WhatsApp group!

By the way, we've really taken a step forward in communication in the syndicate recently with the website that Warren has created and the WhatsApp group. 

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Matt!

We are currently having an online discussion about the turnaround day, though it looks like Friday has all the votes so far. To be honest, a lot of people left the boat on Friday when it was at Brooms, as it was impossible to get fuel and pump-out anywhere nearby before the early time that we were supposed to vacate the boat on Saturday morning.

It's all happened rather fast today, as we only got the final confirmation that we had the mooring this morning. Lots of whoops of joy and gifs on our Moonlight Shadow owners WhatsApp group!

By the way, we've really taken a step forward in communication in the syndicate recently with the website that Warren has created and the WhatsApp group. 

Helen.  The Shadow has certainly changed since we sold.  I keep seeing the photos and being a bit envious.  But the decision to sell was right then and still is.  A move up north was broached a few times but never happened.  Lightning is the only syndicate boat left at Broom now?  Sue

I can understand why the owners would choose Horning as a base and I don't doubt it made financial sense also. I know from Dave Whitworth's recent video that Silver Cloud has a Friday takeover with a 6pm takeover time. So in the autumn and winter you're taking over the boat in the dark - it wouldn't be my choice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I know from Dave Whitworth's recent video that Silver Cloud has a Friday takeover with a 6pm takeover time. So in the autumn and winter you're taking over the boat in the dark - it wouldn't be my choice.

I agree completely, sounds like a terrible system and certainly nothing I would buy into even if I was interested in a shared boat, which I would never be :default_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Friday takeover with a 6pm takeover time.

The takeover time is after 4pm when the maintenance crew have been on board

As a syndicate we are content with this all year round and many (like us) will arrive early and enjoy the wonderful village of Horning or other locations

MS is equipped with navigation lights and is insured for night travel so it isn't an issue if the members want to remain on MS at the marina or venture out in the evening

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

As a syndicate we are content with this all year round and many (like us) will arrive early and enjoy the wonderful village of Horning or other locations

MS is equipped with navigation lights and is insured for night travel so it isn't an issue if the members want to remain on MS at the marina or venture out in the evening

Just to clarify, I was referring to Silver Cloud, not Moonlight Shadow.

So with Thunder we have stuck with the Sat am turnaround but have to be in the yard on a Friday afternoon for the engineer visit. We would still have had a Saturday turnaround if it was available but finding yards willing to do the Sat turnaround proved impossible.

I can see the benefit of a Friday if you wanted to just visit for a weekend, rather then the whole week.

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

When we were hiring a late takeover would have been a BIG problem. We are a lot more relaxed now we have four weeks a year (sometimes more if another member offers up a week). On our last few jaunts we haven’t rushed away the first day but have stayed overnight in the Marina.

I don’t think people who haven’t experienced syndicate boating quite comprehend the change in mindset. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

When we were hiring a late takeover would have been a BIG problem. We are a lot more relaxed now we have four weeks a year (sometimes more if another member offers up a week). On our last few jaunts we haven’t rushed away the first day but have stayed overnight in the Marina.

I don’t think people who haven’t experienced syndicate boating quite comprehend the change in mindset. 

That's right.  Towards the end of our ownership we very rarely left the mooring quite content just to sit and watch the world go by.  Of course that was before Shadow got moved.

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I also guess us owners take for granted some of the freedoms we have without the ties to being part owned. My post wasn't meant to infer otherwise. If this is what you were refering to I apologise for my lack of clarity

3 minutes ago, BroadsExplorer said:

I also guess us owners take for granted some of the freedoms we have without the ties to being part owned. My post wasn't meant to infer otherwise. If this is what you were refering to I apologise for my lack of clarity

That’s okay, I wasn’t reacting to your post really. We’ve had comments over the years from people who normally hire who think we are mad to stay on our home mooring…for example.

There was a very good reason for moving to a different base, which would be unfair to discuss on here, but when we voted on the move, it was a unanimous decision.  There were no other yards on the southern rivers that would accommodate a syndicate boat except one at Beccles, who might have a space next March, but might not!

On that basis, we are grateful to Clive and his team at Horning for making space for Moonlight Shadow and are looking forward to completing the move.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mouldy said:

There was a very good reason for moving to a different base, which would be unfair to discuss on here, but when we voted on the move, it was a unanimous decision.  There were no other yards on the southern rivers that would accommodate a syndicate boat except one at Beccles, who might have a space next March, but might not!

On that basis, we are grateful to Clive and his team at Horning for making space for Moonlight Shadow and are looking forward to completing the move.  

Good luck with the move.  A unanimous decision.  Fantastic.  There must be a change in personalities!