Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Just now, SueH said:

Good luck with the move.  A unanimous decision.  Fantastic.  There must be a change in personalities!

I believe you sold your shares just after we bought in back in 2018.  There are just three shareholders who have been members of the syndicate longer than us now, and one of those is on the market.  Without meaning to sound disrespectful, I think that the new members have seen things with different eyes, so areas that need attention are identified and rectified, rather than just put up with it.  It is, after all, our boat and as joint owners, we want to have pride in her as we cruise the rivers of The Broads.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

So your cruise this week Helen will be quite unique, being a one-way trip from Brundall to Horning. I'm always amazed by how every trip is different and there's always something new to do. I guess this will be a first for you.

Yes it will, and we are looking forward to it. My son Harry and I will be taking her north on Monday whilst husband Graham drives the car up to Horning. He's planning to take Seren for a good walk whilst he waits for us to get there.

Currently at Loddon, which we thought would be convenient for returning to Brundall tomorrow afternoon, ready for an early start Monday. 

IMG_20220507_144631294.thumb.jpg.51c8895262618bc6dcf2663831201374.jpg

IMG_20220507_175312861_HDR.thumb.jpg.dfd298ad575d108c8cfcc0f0dfe055e9.jpg

IMG_20220507_175354143_HDR.thumb.jpg.b10d0ac1092ee64b97059b3706c47967.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Helen at least you will have an easier crossing than we had on Ranworth Breeze, we had to set off from Brundall around 3.oo am  to get to the Yarmouth Bridges by 7.00 am to get a suitable tide. 

With regards to your mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, the boat next to Ranworth Breeze has been moved so we could be neighbors.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Helen at least you will have an easier crossing than we had on Ranworth Breeze, we had to set off from Brundall around 3.oo am  to get to the Yarmouth Bridges by 7.00 am to get a suitable tide. 

With regards to your mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, the boat next to Ranworth Breeze has been moved so we could be neighbours.

Regards

Alan

Gosh, that was an early start!

It would be lovely if we were neighbours.

:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

With regards to your mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, the boat next to Ranworth Breeze has been moved so we could be neighbors.

Regards

Alan

Oh the joys of seven ladder rungs at Yarmouth Yacht station!

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Do you have an aerial view of the location?

Silly to ask I know, but can't wait for us to move!

This has been a long time coming, very drawn out and then as quick as a flash we are going!

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

We might walk in the direction of coffee and cake by the river soon ... :default_rofl:

We have booked a table for 12, but are currently back at the boat. After lunch we'll set off down the Chet to catch the last of the incoming tide up the Yare. 

One for Uncle Mike ...we are moored next to Chameleon.

IMG_20220508_111531176_HDR.thumb.jpg.65cd46d31c5a1a19f17431434a0edcb6.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Do you have an aerial view of the location?

Silly to ask I know, but can't wait for us to move!

This has been a long time coming, very drawn out and then as quick as a flash we are going!

I think from the conversation I had with Chris at Horning, we’ll be next to Evening Shadow.  They were moving a couple of boats around to make room for us after another berth became free.

• Thanks 2

On 07/05/2022 at 07:52, Mouldy said:

I believe you sold your shares just after we bought in back in 2018.  There are just three shareholders who have been members of the syndicate longer than us now, and one of those is on the market.  Without meaning to sound disrespectful, I think that the new members have seen things with different eyes, so areas that need attention are identified and rectified, rather than just put up with it.  It is, after all, our boat and as joint owners, we want to have pride in her as we cruise the rivers of The Broads.

That's good to hear. I think fundamentally she's a really nice boat but which needed the right people to keep her updated.

A few of the syndicate boats have suffered from not being kept fresh, and I don't think BCBM were doing enough to impress on people the importance of doing so. There are people who see syndicate boating as essentially a cheaper way of hiring, and who will milk it for a few years and vote against anything that costs more than the bare minimum. But that's not good for the boat (or, ironically, the value of their share).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

That's good to hear. I think fundamentally she's a really nice boat but which needed the right people to keep her updated.

A few of the syndicate boats have suffered from not being kept fresh, and I don't think BCBM were doing enough to impress on people the importance of doing so. There are people who see syndicate boating as essentially a cheaper way of hiring, and who will milk it for a few years and vote against anything that costs more than the bare minimum. But that's not good for the boat (or, ironically, the value of their share).

Agreed.  The canopy was a prime example of this.  It had been identified as requiring attention several years ago, when a price of around 2k was quoted to repair the old one and a new one could have been made for circa 5k.  It was eventually done at Broom during winter maintenance at the end of 2019/ early 2020, when a repair was effected at a cost of 5k.  The mould tools to make a new one are sadly no more.

Having just finished our first week on her for almost three years (due to lockdowns at the time of our spring allocations) there are a couple of things that do require attention and with the collective attitude of the newer syndicate members, will happen, but the new engine is a revelation.  It wasn’t cheap, but absolutely worth the cost to bring the boat mechanically up to date.

• Like 3

We spent the night in our new Marina and were up early again this morning. Currently moored up on the BA moorings at Potter H, waiting for the rain to ease off before visiting Latham's. We are thinking of going up to Coltishall later, low tide at Wroxham not being until mid afternoon.

Photo of us moored at Horning yesterday evening, and a rather more gloomy looking one from this  morning.

IMG_20220509_153114785_HDR.thumb.jpg.27611df160c35add38a93f1125b0e7b0.jpg

IMG_20220510_075613748.thumb.jpg.72317fe1ad3dd35687fcccb3710601bb.jpg

• Like 9

It certainly brightened up. Now at Coltishall Locks, and guess what...we got here without the aid of the pilot.

I must admit that I'm a bit chuffed with myself. I had intended using the pilot, but when we saw the amount of clearance Graham encouraged me to just take MS through myself.

IMG_20220510_165658229_HDR.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Me neither. Would love to think I can, but the heart might not stand the increase in rate!

Funny enough Helen, I was going to go up there this afternoon as I’ve wanted to try the locks for a while, but thought with the low water level it might be a bit too shallow. Is it ok?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Is it ok?

If you are careful, yes. I momentarily thought I'd grounded myself on the first attempt at mooring, but we managed to push off and moor nearer the turning point at the head of navigation. Even there you have to be careful as there are some old roots sticking out of the bank at the end nearest to the turning point. 

• Thanks 1

It did turn into a lovely afternoon. I took a walk down to the Hoveton St John moorings late afternoon and thought the water level looked quite low.

Hope you're enjoying a peaceful evening afloat Helen.  :default_icon_wave:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If you are careful, yes. I momentarily thought I'd grounded myself on the first attempt at mooring, but we managed to push off and moor nearer the turning point at the head of navigation. Even there you have to be careful as there are some old roots sticking out of the bank at the end nearest to the turning point. 

Thanks Helen.
Maybe I’ll leave it till there’s more water then.

I did ground a narrowboat on the Montgomery canal once and it took a while to ‘unstick’ it!

And I didn’t like the grating sound I heard from the prop once on a hire boat when having to move off a wild mooring at low tide. 

• Like 1