Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

We slightly mistimed it by arriving at the start of the New Cut almost an hour too early. On the other hand although the tide was against us, it wasn't that strong and we had the Cut to ourselves the whole way. It actually worked out well as we had a brief stop at Reedham to wait for the turn of the tide and discovered a new deli had opened in the building that was formerly 'Cupcakes'. Graham got himself a coffee and cake, Alec got a cheese slice and quiche and I bought some local milk for Dad from a farm in Aldeby. 

We are now moored at Whitlingham after spending the afternoon in Norwich. 

There's a sign on the electric posts here saying they are to be disconnected on 28th July. 

Here's one of Alec and Seren watching the rowers.

IMG_20210630_170349091_HDR.thumb.jpg.83185da7beb42fecc0616147089bc6be.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Meantime said:

Not strictly true. The New Cut from the Haddiscoe end to Reedham will always follow the current on the Lower Waveney and Lower Yare. The rivers do not equalise along the Cut.

So if you are approaching Haddiscoe on a falling tide you can either go straight down The Lower Waveney with the tide under you, or you can go down The Cut with the tide under you and turn right at the end and keep the tide under you all the way down to Breydon.

Put simply if the lower Waveney and Yare are ebbing the flow along the Cut will be from Haddiscoe towards the Reedham end. If the lower Waveney and Yare are flooding then the flow will be from the Reedham end towards Haddiscoe.

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Am I right in thinking that, whichever direction the tide is flowing on the New Cut, the rate of flow is less than on the Yare and Waveney at either end?

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Am I right in thinking that, whichever direction the tide is flowing on the New Cut, the rate of flow is less than on the Yare and Waveney at either end?

My experience is that about 65% of the flow goes straight down the Waveney with the rest going into the Cut. It is less noticeable when the tide is flooding. If you look at The BA depth chart for the Cut, the layout of the rivers and Cut helps to explain why. When the Waveney is ebbing there is less resistance for the water to enter the Cut as it is virtually straight ahead, but the width and depth of the main river encourages the lions share to go that way. When the rivers are flooding the water has more of a turn to enter the Cut at the Reedham end and there is also a bit of a bar that can be seen across the entrance. The deeper water section I think is caused by the opposing currents that are seen at this end as the Cut drains into the Yare when it is ebbing. As you turn out or into the Cut at the Reedham end you will often see a whirlpool effect of opposing currents, whereas at the Haddiscoe end all you see if a merging, or diverging of the current depending on the tide direction.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0035/199457/DEPTH__Haddiscoe-Cut.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loddon Staithe is busy but Pye's Mill wasn't when we passed just before 12. I was lucky to squeeze into a gap only just about MS size. (Quite chuffed with myself, as I still don't consider myself that experienced at stern mooring.)

• Like 1

We think we'll stay.

By the way, we have a bit of a crisis building with sourcing a replacement propane bottle. None of the boatyards that I've phoned have had their orders fulfilled, and the same is the case for Loddon DIY, even the main Calor Centre in Norwich couldn't help (they recommended phoning them again on Monday). 

We'll probably be okay, as we only have one more day, but I'm worried for the owners who will be on board the next week or two.

Eek!

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We think we'll stay.

By the way, we have a bit of a crisis building with sourcing a replacement propane bottle. None of the boatyards that I've phoned have had their orders fulfilled, and the same is the case for Loddon DIY, even the main Calor Centre in Norwich couldn't help (they recommended phoning them again on Monday). 

We'll probably be okay, as we only have one more day, but I'm worried for the owners who will be on board the next week or two.

Eek!

Swancraft? 01603 712362

Thanks for the tip, Swancraft are always very helpful. They too are awaiting a delivery. I'll try again tomorrow but am not overly optimistic given I tried the Calor Centre in Norwich. Hipperson's told me they hadn't had their delivery that was due earlier this week and the Norwich Centre is awaiting a shipment from Lisbon. 

No luck in Brundall, but the next family on board MS have managed to source a canister in their home town, with a returnable deposit until they are able to return the empty canister.

We have now arrived home this evening, on the warmest day of the week. Typical! Most days have been 15 degrees max and it was 23 as we arrived home not long ago. I almost melted while cleaning MS.

I almost messed up seriously when leaving Brooms fuel quay today. For some reason Dad chose that moment to get up on the starboard deck (89 and not that stable on his pins). Graham rushed to help him into a life jacket and persuade him back into the rear well,  so I didn’t get the normal clear signal that he had cast off and, as a result, almost left Alec on the quay. Luckily, all was well, but it just shows how quickly things have the potential to go pear-shaped.

Dad has been such a capable man all his life, he just wants to help out all the time, but we do need to watch out for him.

By the the way, I’ve realised that I confuse a lot of people by calling my father in law ‘Dad’. I have done since Graham and I married.

I expect that this will be my last post on this thread for a while. We are not back on MS until the end of October. Hopefully over the weekend I’ll start posting the full tale on my normal ‘Carried away’ thread.

• Like 9

It has indeed been a very different day today. Warm sunshine on the coast compared to sitting with the fire on yesterday. 

Glad you’re safely home and all was well with “Dad and Alec”. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yay! We are back on Moonlight Shadow for the next fortnight. Harry is with us this time, and Seren of course.

We haven’t done any cruising as yet as we weren’t very quick getting away this morning, and we stopped off for brunch at La Hogue farm shop. Got to the boat before 1, dumped our stuff on the boat and then drove off to Hoveton. Graham wanted to go to a chandlery to get some yacht varnish, and unfortunately Brian Wards in Brundall is closed Saturday. I thought it would be a nice change to do our food shop in Roy’s.

The sun has just gone down a few moments ago and we had a lovely sunset, or would have done had we been on our old mooring. 

C6BFE68A-7595-4C04-9DC8-B09A5097C80C.jpeg

B4E93C21-7EDC-4E7D-9C4C-55E3E671368D.jpeg

• Like 8

Brian Wards have been closed on Saturdays since the pandemic.  It’s saved me a fortune on ‘impulse buys’ when we’ve been up for weekends, arriving too late on Fridays.  I don’t know if I’m alone amongst owners in being able to find an excuse to buy something for the boat when passing, but it’s saved me a fortune!! 😉

Enjoy your trip, Helen.  We should have been up for the weekend last night, but the plasterer we booked to skim some ceilings on Thursday and Friday had to reschedule to come today and tomorrow.  Getting trades at the moment is so difficult that we didn’t want to say no, especially he is now fully booked until the new year!!

• Like 3

At our recent AGM there was some chat about the interior woodwork getting a bit tatty and getting a quote from someone to do it, so Graham suggested that he have a go at one area to see if other members think it’s up to standard before doing any more. He used to do quite a bit of woodwork when he was younger. It would cost us an arm and a leg to get Brooms to do it. It’s not the sort of thing they cover within our contract.

• Like 2