Shore Power

andyg

Hi Cris the power goes to a consumer unit via a galvanic isolator then to each socket or ring main, they are fused along with a R C B isolator just like home you are restricted to 16 amps total so if micro wave and kettle are switched on together it my trip the isolater which will have to be switched back on on the boat consumer unit  or on the electric post on shore. its just like home , just to add plug boat end in first then shore power post.John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

This year will be the first time we have hired a boat with shore power.  When hooked up does the power go directly to the mains sockets on the boat as well as charging up the batteries?  Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a numpty question but someone is asking if she can use her travelling hair straighteners when hooked up! :default_shocked1animated:

Chris

Hi Chris

It depends on the boat.  I know that on Swan Roamer and Swan Rapture (Richardsons) the Shore Power only charges the batteries so the 240V sockets are still from the inverter.  On Moon Enterprise (Richardsons) there is a changeover switch for Shore/Inverter to the 240V sockets.

You must check with the boatyard, either phone and speak to an engineer familiar with the boat you have hired or when you pick the boat up double check before using any appliance other than phone/camera chargers.

My wife uses a gas cartridge powered heated curler when we are on The Broads e.g. https://www.boots.com/babyliss-2583bu-pro-cordless-ceramic-gas-hair-curling-tong-10032560

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I see that GHD have just announced their 'Unplugged' cordless straighteners, which charge from USB-C.

They're not cheap . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jeez, you can say that again!!!!!  I’d better go and tell the wife how much better she looks with shorter hair just in case she was contemplating growing it!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Jeez, you can say that again!!!!!  I’d better go and tell the wife how much better she looks with shorter hair just in case she was contemplating growing it!!!!!

I'm not even going to mention it to the wife!!  That's a lot of sheckles!!  

Chris

It has just been pointed out to me that compared to the cost of 'my' boat a pair of hair straighteners, even at £300, is pretty insignificant!! :facepalm:

Can I ask the forum members to please be more careful when it comes to links to such items in the future? :default_crying1animated:

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, Ray said:

It is remarkable how "our" boat becomes "your" boat whenever money is discussed.

It is similar to the cost, maintenance and clearing up involved with "my" car, "my" dog and "my" garden 😁

But come divorce?

• Haha 1