Water Rail Out And About - Aug 2021

grendel

18 hours ago, grendel said:

update on the electrics, 3 hours cruising isnt enough to get the batteries to the point of keeping the fridge going all night and starting the engine next morning, so the mystery of the battery still isnt solved.

16 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Mystery solved :default_biggrin:

Needs more than 3hrs cruising then! :default_rofl::default_coat:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gancanny said:

not the ideal craft to fish from

Fishing from a sit-on kayak is becoming a very popular sport now. Started in The States I believe. They have rod holders, drink holders, live bait holders all sorts

20210822_132902.thumb.jpg.682a9f301d1fe299e4e04736f78ee3a4.jpg

1 hour ago, grendel said:

it wasnt even a canadian canoe, just one of those plastic ones with the cockpit sunk into the top surface, he was using a 2 1/2" socket as a mudweight.

Like this

20210822_132902.thumb.jpg.7240f2703b588d5a2c75b607289e06bf.jpg

1 minute ago, ChrisB said:

Fishing from a sit-on kayak is becoming a very popular sport now. Started in The States I believe. They have rod holders, drink holders, live bait holders all sorts

yes, but obviously unstable to the unaware,        i suppose it depends on how much gear he was wanting onboard

4 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

JA, you cannot just leave it as

'Mystery Solved'

I am going mad wondering what it was!

paul

Very simple

Water Rail has one if these bl00dy awful battery isolators that has position 1 for engine battery position 2 for domestic and both which speaks for itself.

She will quite happily run just on domestics (position 2) including engine starting leaving the engine battery fully charged but not used.

On occasion, when the domestic bank is low, flick the switch to position 1 and the fully charged engine battery does the biz. 

I've never been a fan of these type of isolator because you can very easily run the boat off the wrong battery and end up with everything flat.

• Like 1

So, basically a 'picnic' problem.

Fridge wise,  I was going to fit an audible alarm to sound when the power to the domestic batteries was switched of, because I wired it direct to those batteries, it had a switch between direct supply and fridge.

Then we sold the boat, still have the alarm somewhere.

paul

We do tend to forgive Water Rail most of her problems, she is coming up for 90 years old after all. Fortunately Grendel is able to deal with her little tantrums as he goes, it makes for a more interesting holiday!

She has also done probably 70 or 80 nights this year split between her buddies so has had a fairly busy season. 

• Like 5

a boat that is not being used is just a collection of timber floating in the water, if they are used then at least you are aware of any issues and can keep on top of them as they arise, running maintenance is always done while in use, i feel sorry for boats that sit idle for a year or more.

• Like 2

As an example, if I go for a swim around the boat, she gets a thorough waterline inspection, and gets the underwater planking given a thorough feel for any issues that may be developing, which means plenty of warning before it comes time to haul her out for maintenance

• Like 1

A vsr is cheap and a much better way to keep domestic and engine battery charged while not having one run the other flat then have engine battery for just engine and domestic battery for just domestic, if you want a jump start option just put a starter solenoid between banks .