I Don't Knowwhat I Saw

MauriceMynah

Leaving Sutton Broad the other day I saw a bird (Yes I know that much!) in flight it looked like a heron, but not quite. It was heron shaped, and heron sized, and it landed in the reed margin. As I passed, it flew off. That's when I saw why I thougt it couldn't be a heron. The plumage was brown.

Oooh I thought! Bittern I thought.  but no..., surely not. It was as I said, heron sized. I thought bitterns were somewhat smaller than herons. I didn't see it for long enough to give any further detals other than the plumage seemed to be flat brown, not the more speckled brown of a bittern, though there I could be mistaken.

Ok, to all you twitchers out there,any idea what I saw? 

If you imagine a heron with no neck, then that is what a Bittern looks like in flight.

They fly steadily in a straight line, just like a Heron.

Sutton Broad is certainly a place where you would find them, especially in the early morning.

If it was smaller than a heron, it was probably one of this year's young ones, which are a lot less timid than the adults.

• Like 2

Now I dont know my birds around here but last week there was what looked like a Heron to me flying low over the water on the Yare, it "landed" on the water and stayed there for around eight seconds or so then flew off with a large fish in its mouth.

Later on there was a fish which appeared to be jumping out of the water and making a large splash but always in the same spot then we spotted the angler so guess the fish was putting up a fight which it eventually won, Fish 1 Angler 0 as my companion said.

43 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Now I dont know my birds around here but last week there was what looked like a Heron to me flying low over the water on the Yare, it "landed" on the water and stayed there for around eight seconds or so then flew off with a large fish in its mouth.

It's not unknown for herons to do this. I've seen it three times in 20 years. Definitely herons.

Almost certainly a bittern - no sure why you would think it otherwise? As Vaughan said, could be a young one, with the plumage not fully developed- bitterns in flight are more "stumpy" and although they are smaller than herons, marginally, it is not always apparent when they are standing erect in the reeds.

There are certainly more sightings of bitterns these days as they have become more common and it is certainly, very much, bittern territory. Unless you were quite close , you might not spot that it is a little smaller but like humans, birds vary in size and there is very little else it could have been!

• Like 1