Neatishead, Gayes Staithes

andyg

I've seen so many members posts and comments about the above but I've never been up that part of the ant. We are afloat in a couple of weeks and I wanted to try and visit. We will be onboard dazzling light which is one of woods biggest boats. I'm a bit worried il get up to Neatishead and if unable to moor I won't be able to turn around. Any advice ? Is the boat to big to attempt the journey in the first place. Thanks in advance.

Hi Andy I go past then reverse into moorings then just turn right to exit there is a wider part just past entrance to spin it round 360 degrees if necessary, I am 44Ft have had no issues only no spaces available on odd times then just spin round and go back to Lime Kiln Dyke. John

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Just past Neatishead Staithe is a turning basin, not sure about your particular boat but I've seen people using it successfully 👍

Thanks, my grandson has just shown me on Google earth. I noticed what looks like two boats the same size as our moored at gayes. So I'm assuming it will be fine. ( famous last words ) 

16 hours ago, Broads01 said:

People tend to reverse in to the moorings at Neatishead rather than reverse out. Personally I prefer to do it the opposite way, whichever takes your preference I guess. If you're turning round at the turning space I've turned a 44 footer with no problems.

I tried doing it the opposite way,  the wife was fine but I got pregnant 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, andyg said:

Thanks, we have no1 aswell. How did you find the boat ?? 

There were 8 of us on board for a weekend break and it was perfect, enough room for everyone and the layout meant that everyone had their own space and whoever was cooking wasn't constantly being barged out of the way by the kids when they wanted to get in or out. She was very nicely fitted out.

She was easy to handle both ahead and astern and the bow thruster helped too. The only time I had any difficulty was on a very windy day when we were blown off a mooring a little quicker than I would have liked, but then, any boat of that shape is going to have a lot of windage.

The only downside is the cost. Next year we are hiring two older boats for our weekend break and it isn't costing any more than all of us going on Dazzling Light.

7 hours ago, Davydine said:

There were 8 of us on board for a weekend break and it was perfect, enough room for everyone and the layout meant that everyone had their own space and whoever was cooking wasn't constantly being barged out of the way by the kids when they wanted to get in or out. She was very nicely fitted out.

She was easy to handle both ahead and astern and the bow thruster helped too. The only time I had any difficulty was on a very windy day when we were blown off a mooring a little quicker than I would have liked, but then, any boat of that shape is going to have a lot of windage.

The only downside is the cost. Next year we are hiring two older boats for our weekend break and it isn't costing any more than all of us going on Dazzling Light.

Thanks, glad to here you enjoyed yourselves. The girls picked the boat, so cost, being suitable for our group etc etc,Didn't even come into it. They just liked the look of her...Hurry up Monday...

• Like 1