Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

we are about to head back to retire for the evening .

If you’re still up, the northern lights are supposed to put in a good show tonight. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kpnut said:

If you’re still up, the northern lights are supposed to put in a good show tonight. 

Yes ! 

Looking at them now, in Hertfordshire 

They show up really well on a phone camera. Iphones in particular seem to pick up the colours  

• Like 1

Now moored up at a sunny Womack Water , spend a most pleasant afternoon in the company of fellow forumite Wassername and his good lady , this evenings dinner was barbecue Chinese pork and lamb kebabs from our butcher back home , accompanied by a robust red , now adorned in my PJ’s for an early night ready for tomorrows joys afloat.

• Like 9

Left Cambridge at 12:00 and had a clear run all the way , so much easier than Friday last , one and a half hours door to door .

Loaded Pipedreams up , took Bramble for a walk then a quick coffee in Richos cafe we set off , only a short jaunt to Neatishead where we managed to get moored up on the space at the mouth of the moorings , glad we have our long power lead cable , bonus of £0:94 on the post too 🤗.

Now off to The White Horse for dinner and a pint or two .

7a17a745-58b3-465a-9e2c-98c73a4bec7c.jpeg

• Like 6

Up early for Brambles walk , weather certainly changed compared to the weekend just gone but due to clear up later this afternoon just in time for the gathering at Salhouse 😁

Excellent meal and ales in The White Horse last night , they are having a 10 year anniversary beer festival week at the end of May , cannot believe it is that long since the rebirth .

Gentle cruise down the Ant , passed Springers Retreat moored at How Hill , now tied up in the taxi rank ready to leave tomorrow morning to meet Neil and collect the gazebo from Horning .

Dining onboard this evening but will certainly sample the ales afterwards in The Maltsters

IMG_4266.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

. . . . . . . . . . Dining onboard this evening but will certainly sample the ales afterwards in The Maltsters

According to The Maltsters FB page, their kitchen renovations are now finished and they’re serving food as of 15th May.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Can nobody use a £ on a menu any more?

It's an awful example. What exactly are they trying to achieve? I can't see any reason for it, other than to try and make pricing less obvious (which would be an offence under The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008). It's not like it makes it any more visually appealing.

• Like 1

It strikes me that the pub is trying to be a bit "gastro", and is in direct competition with the cafe. 

That seems a bit stupid to me. The owner should be trying to capitalise on having the two outlets by making them different from each other.

Why does nobody do "Pub Grub" anymore?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dom said:

It's an awful example. What exactly are they trying to achieve?

25 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Why does nobody do "Pub Grub" anymore?

Come back Patsy Dashwood in the Buck in Thorpe, with her home cooked fish pie.  Renowned for miles around.

By the way, could some-one translate this gastronomic "delight"  please ?

What are  "heritage carrots"??

Why do you need to "crush" new potatoes?  Why not enjoy their spring flavour, with melted butter and parsley?

On the other hand, in the salad section :  "All salads are served with herb buttered new potatoes" - no need to crush these , then - " or upgrade to fries".

Do they seriously consider that as an up-grade???

• Like 3

The trouble with “traditional pub grub” , which I definitely prefer, is that if someone sees such items as sausage and mash or ham egg and chips etc for example for £15 or thereabouts then it is considered expensive and “I could cook that myself” by offering gastro termed meals the price tag doesn’t seem so inflated .

People forget the other costs involved in providing a hot meal and a place to eat it in let alone the ridiculous 20% vat levy .

If the food at the Maltsters is anything like the quality of The Granary then it will do well and I for one am thankful that someone is making a go of The Maltsters once again .

• Like 6

I understand what you say CC, and I too wish them well but I think they're missing a trick here. One of the outlets should be high end with the other more standard. Personally I would go high end with the cafe and pub-grub at the pub, but that's just me!

@Vaughan a heritage carrot is one that can trace its roots.

Chips look up to crushed new potatoes but down on merely boiled potatoes. 

Its a fried and tested standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

People forget the other costs involved in providing a hot meal and a place to eat it in let alone the ridiculous 20% vat levy .

Spot on there CC. The same factors apply to beer mostly too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Where is the fish restaurant?

Behind the Swan, basically.

It's a nice restaurant, but unpretentious and priced well given the quality of food.

During the season it's essential to book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2