Waveny River Centre

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Nor me.  Looking at it as we went past last year, folk were nearly camping in the back of moored boats!  I prefer somewhere that’s a little less crowded, personally.

Probably down to the rack em pack em in covid affect of the last two years. 

I'm not sure what moorings are being offered, I can't see any business barring potential trade. I personally haven't visited the centre in 20 odd years. Always found it a nice pleasant stop over a tad expensive tho. 

8 hours ago, Wussername said:

Some have said that there is a public staithe there.. With an access road, maintained by the local council, through the site.

The WRC in recent years has run a ferry across to the Carlton Marshes, I wonder if in years gone by there used to be a ferry across to a public staithe? One of our locals members who has taken to not posting anymore may have been able to shed some light on it. 

I found a local history article, originally written in 1955, mentioning that corn was transported at one time from Burgh St Peter Staithe and also Burgh Wherry Dyke.

Can't copy and paste it here as it is copywrighted, but I found the article by googling "Public Staithe Burgh St Peter". It was an article entitled: "THE TRIANGLE, THE HISTORY OF 
ALDEBY, WHEATACRE & BURGH ST PETER."

Although WRC's address is Staithe Rd, Staithe Rd doesn't presently reach the river - it joins Church Lane which runs down through WRC to the river. I suppose that originally the dyke from the river could possibly have been longer and reached Staithe Road.

Re the ferry, this is an extract from an application to BA in March 2012 to reopen a ferry service at Burgh St Peter:

"A public footpath which connects to the Angles Way (450m upstream) runs up to the river’s edge on the bank opposite the Waveney River Centre. Historically, a passenger ferry service bought people from the footpath across the river onto the bank where the Waveney River Centre is located. The ferry operated from the early 20th Century until 1950 when the use was abandoned."

• Like 2

Ok, I have just spoken to somebody at WRC and there is still going to be visitor moorings for people wishing to use the pub etc, same as before Tingdene.

the ferry is still going to be running between Carlton Marshes and WRC.

lastly, They are retaining a few day boats, but only for guests of the park. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

On 02/04/2022 at 14:44, Tobster said:

Ok, I have just spoken to somebody at WRC and there is still going to be visitor moorings for people wishing to use the pub etc, same as before Tingdene.

the ferry is still going to be running between Carlton Marshes and WRC.

lastly, They are retaining a few day boats, but only for guests of the park. 

Yes, I used their FB page yesterday to ask if visitor moorings will still be available and they have promptly replied that there will be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

That's me put off stopping there for a night with those opening hours, are you sure that's not just for food times?

So do I have to finish my evening meal before getting thrown out at 8PM? I don't normally book a table for before 7.30.

And what about a drink in the bar before lunch, if they close at 11AM?

Doesn't sound like a pub, to me.

• Like 2

I've  not been to that pub for many years.When I did the menu was far better.I have to say,there not alone.Many pubs now seem to go safe .I worry if this continues  much longer it will reduce skill levels in the business. Yes covid has caused many to leave the trade.

• Like 2

I know one of the major issues they are having is staff, due to the location by road. It’s very remote.

I guess they are currently opening to suit the people staying in the lodges and a few from the boats.

It looks to me as though they are prioritising between Thursday and Sunday. 08:00 to 20:00hrs

Maybe if more people used it, they could justify staying open? Same can be said for most of the remaining pubs around the country.

• Like 1

Before being too critical I'd wait and see how it develops over the Summer. As many will know Tingdene bought the whole site from Len Funnell and since then they seem to have struggled with a business that doesn't perhaps fit their normal business model.

However as I understand it The Waveney Inn is being run independently by a family who will soon find out the unique struggles of running a pub within the confines of the river centre. Tingdene are more focusing on the marina and its annual moorings, as well as the holiday lodges.

If you've paid £250K - £300k for a lodge with fully fitted kitchen and excellent surroundings to BBQ in, why would you use a pub? Likewise if you've paid to rent a lodge with fully fitted kitchen why would you pay to eat in a pub? Then you have the campsite, which by its very nature people tend to BBQ on. The self catering facilities offered on site have always competed very effectively, often to the detriment of the pub, one of the reasons why Nigel and Tracy left when James was in charge of the park.

Give the family time to find their feet and work out what works best, but remember the Inn is not part of the overall Tingdene empire.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I've  not been to that pub for many years.When I did the menu was far better.I have to say,there not alone.Many pubs now seem to go safe .I worry if this continues  much longer it will reduce skill levels in the business. Yes covid has caused many to leave the trade.

plus nowadays with every other person having an allergy it must be a mine field trying to get it right.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Just for info: the pub is not run by Tingdene. It’s a separate enterprise 

Is it,  crumbs do you think they are new to the Trade.     I wonder if they do pack ups for walkers en route,   something they can sit by riverside and eat as part of their walk.   Just an idea.

• Like 1

MT says "Why would you use a pub" and quite right in such beautiful surroundings with everything you need at hand but some of us can't cook or won't cook on holiday. My boys prefer I don't cook anyway :default_biggrin:

Give it time, it might change as the summer approaches, I hope they do well x

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Just for info: the pub is not run by Tingdene. It’s a separate enterprise 

That I didn't know. Sounds promising and I wish them all the best with it, but they need to sort those opening hours.

The site is very different to what Tingdene do and it seemed an odd acquisition for them, but I get why the Funnell clan moved on.

Personally, when I hire with Mrs O G we very rarely use the cooker other than to heat the kettle and will happily stay in a pub for the evening. But having to go back to the boat at 8? Seems a bit odd.