Cruiser Hire In February - Thoughts?

750XL

Just now, andyg said:

There boats still looked very smart considering the busy season they have had. 

Absolutely.

I'd walk past a row of boats looking rather the worse for wear then think that the next one looked pretty **** and span. Then realise that it was ours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The Bridgecraft Facebook page is interesting through the winter as they show each boat as they take it into the shed (and sort out the numerous damage that's been inflicted during the season).

https://www.facebook.com/464031777030041/posts/4058187377614445/

They are one of the more active yards on fb one of the guys at the yard is quite a good drone pilot as and has posted some good footage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The Bridgecraft Facebook page is interesting through the winter as they show each boat as they take it into the shed (and sort out the numerous damage that's been inflicted during the season).

https://www.facebook.com/464031777030041/posts/4058187377614445/

That's really interesting. The Tay Bridge followed us down on the way to Acle to hand back the boat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coryton said:

That's really interesting. The Tay Bridge followed us down on the way to Acle to hand back the boat.

They lift all their boats out one by one end of the season. They post the work done on each craft on their website. It is amazing how thorough they are and to see all the damage and repairs / updates that they carry out ready for the next season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

They lift all their boats out one by one end of the season. They post the work done on each craft on their website. It is amazing how thorough they are and to see all the damage and repairs / updates that they carry out ready for the next season.

Fascinating. I'll have to wait for the one we were on to come out then.

I thought it was in very good condition, particularly considering it will have been on the go all season.

I seem to remember one of the forth Bridge class, took some heavy damage to one of its stern corners. They done a temp repair and that's gonna have to have some serious repairs. Just imagine if you strip back all the paint off a lot of these boats. All the filler and patches you'd find. I doubt there's a single hire boat over 5 years old that hasn't had repairs to its Hull...

8 minutes ago, Coryton said:

This, perhaps:

image.png.e44de92a01a0e6528b05e08517d246f4.png

That could well be it, I can't remember what side it was. Search the forum for clives posts a few years ago re the damage to both challenger and bolero. They turned bolero around in a week I think, challenger was out of service for quite some time. Mind boggling how some of the damage happens. 

5 hours ago, andyg said:

challenger was out of service for quite some time.

I remember reading on here, Challenger 4 hit one of the Great Yarmouth bridges so badly, the entire central saloon structure was destroyed. Richardson's rebuilt it which is why Challenger 4 has a more modern looking windscreen and saloon windows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I remember reading on here, Challenger 4 hit one of the Great Yarmouth bridges so badly, the entire central saloon structure was destroyed. Richardson's rebuilt it which is why Challenger 4 has a more modern looking windscreen and saloon windows.

That's right it got stuck under the bridge and the whole saloon structure was crushed by the rising tide. Looked a total right off but they changed the design of the saloon roof to strengthen it. Took quite some time to fix I think. I'm sure Clive will have some photo's. Bolero had a really hard impact with the quay at Yarmouth and again sustained quite a lot of damage to its bow. That looked a total mess as with a great big hole in the bow, but was repaired quite quickly. 

• Like 1

BTW Simon I'm thinking of trying a early season boating trip. I saw golden Bridge out when I was last up. Looked very smart for an old bathtub. I've spoke to Bridgecraft and I'm probably going to book her. Very helpful on the phone when I called. Never started a trip from acle before, do I turn left or right lol...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, andyg said:

BTW Simon I'm thinking of trying a early season boating trip. I saw golden Bridge out when I was last up. Looked very smart for an old bathtub. I've spoke to Bridgecraft and I'm probably going to book her. Very helpful on the phone when I called. Never started a trip from acle before, do I turn left or right lol...

Depends on the tides and if you fancy crossing Breydon.  There’s not much point turning right otherwise, certainly until after Yarmouth yacht station has reopened.

3 hours ago, andyg said:

Go for it, Andy. 

• Like 1

I am thinking Bridgecraft maybe a possibility for a cruise on the North, the boats and yard appear to get good reviews and they haven't pushed their prices up to silly levels. My only concern is that the boats appear to be old school in their interiors I appreciate the immaculate outside however they seem to have an awful lot of Vinyl flooring and even vinyl berths brings back memories of cold out of season berths or hot and sticky berths in the summer. Are all their boats like that or just some or certain berths.

Thanks Neil

9 minutes ago, Captain said:

I am thinking Bridgecraft maybe a possibility for a cruise on the North, the boats and yard appear to get good reviews and they haven't pushed their prices up to silly levels. My only concern is that the boats appear to be old school in their interiors I appreciate the immaculate outside however they seem to have an awful lot of Vinyl flooring and even vinyl berths brings back memories of cold out of season berths or hot and sticky berths in the summer. Are all their boats like that or just some or certain berths.

Thanks Neil

On our recent hire with them we were very impressed with the company. The boat was as you describe - looked like vinyl flooring and indeed berths. The beds could have been more comfortable but it didn't seem too cold even though the weather got a bit chilly. The heating was most effective.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect to find Vinyl mattresses on berths nowadays. I had seen them in some of the pictures but just assumed they were old photos. Richardsons put teak flooring into a lot of there older boats it makes a he'll of a difference to the boats internal appearance. Not sure if it's expensive but it seems most yards are using it now. That said Bridgecraft do seem to price there boats quite keenly so I wouldn't expect 5 star accommodation. I've got a very warm pair of slippers for them chilly mornings lol. I'd also agree they have a very good reputation and a good loyal customer base. That in its self speaks volumes to me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, andyg said:

I wouldn't expect to find Vinyl mattresses on berths nowadays. I had seen them in some of the pictures but just assumed they were old photos. Richardsons put teak flooring into a lot of there older boats it makes a he'll of a difference to the boats internal appearance. Not sure if it's expensive but it seems most yards are using it now. That said Bridgecraft do seem to price there boats quite keenly so I wouldn't expect 5 star accommodation. I've got a very warm pair of slippers for them chilly mornings lol. I'd also agree they have a very good reputation and a good loyal customer base. That in its self speaks volumes to me. 

Take something like this, Andy:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/CnA-Stores-Mattress-Protector-Non-Allergenic/dp/B08J8C5RCL/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1W1FPNRIAVVUA&keywords=fleece+mattress+cover+double&qid=1636300745&qsid=258-2580734-7701764&sprefix=Fleece+mattress%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-10&sres=B083Q9MRFX%2CB00AC3CUNA%2CB07953G8L6%2CB00R6X0K2W%2CB00DDSF3OE%2CB08J8C5RCL%2CB096XQS8YM%2CB017KJQNQI%2CB082J3NPL9%2CB09G41R8Q7%2CB00JPEC9WY%2CB015HIM30O%2CB0759WPVF3%2CB07GZW4RLG%2CB077T9VNSB%2CB08M9XS876%2CB01MZ2QSXP%2CB019QFAKK4%2CB00E3S6EDM%2CB002W49EDQ

If the mattress cover is vinyl, it’ll be just the job.

Mild yes, river levels variable though. One recommendation for February occurred to me as we (a relatively low air-draft boat) had to drop our roof to get under Ludham bridge last week. For goodness sake, don't hire something that's really tall. On a previous November we had high winds, so having a lower airdraft boat is better then too.