Cruiser Hire In February - Thoughts?

750XL

Curious as to peoples thoughts on hiring a small 2 person holiday cruiser for a week in late February?

We've just got back from a fantastic 11 nights on the Broads, was busy but the beer cold, food good and even caught a few fish! Looking at next year the prices are generally too much for just the 2 of us but I see we can get a week in February for a few hundred quid.

Hired in April/October before so very much aware of how cold it can get etc, but looking for peoples thoughts and opinions on the Broads in February? My understanding of it is not a lot will be open, hardly anyone will be afloat, and facilities like pump out, fresh water etc may be an issue.

• Like 1

We've done March a few times, and I've also spotted that February is available next year with some yards.  Mid-March can be chilly and windy but so can most times of year in this country. The real plus was the moorings being so much quieter. But we did notice that just before the end of the fishing season was definitely busier than just after the start of the closed season. Also thinking about end of November but pondering the fact that the daylight hours are so much shorter, and therefore you have longer hours of darkness on the boat during which you could be anywhere really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

It's doable but limited choice of boats available. Herbert Woods offer a few plus Ferry Marina. NBD may do but I'm not sure.

I think Richardson's are starting their season in February next year. And I noticed that the prices are higher for Feb half term week, so you have to be careful with the dates.

• Like 1

Everything you wrote in the last sentence of your post will be true.  We’ve been on the rivers in February and It can be lovely if it’s sunny, but sunny February days will be followed generally by cold nights.  On the other hand, it can be very cold, the broads in particular can ice over, wet ropes can freeze, wet decks ice over and become dangerous.  Days are still short and hire boats are generally not insulated well enough for the conditions, but as long as you are prepared for the weather, it can be very picturesque.

There are no guarantees of good weather at any time of the year in this country, but although waiting another month still means it will be unpredictable, the days are longer and after the clocks go forward, the evenings much lighter.

• Like 1

We did it but with lots of precautions. 
safety factor. Ice on the decks. 
we’ve got a flattie which is ideal because moving about and getting out for mooring is easy. 
Quay headings are a nightmare for slips. 
saving water is easy because no one is having showers!  
Water is harder to come by. Those public taps are in hibernation. 
we’ve got a paraffin heater now so that we drain less from batteries. 
mains hook ups help but you can’t rely on getting one. 

We've  be coming  to the broads  for years,owning boats since 2009.We tend to use the boat from March to October. It's true, water shops pubs tend to be limited  or closed,but is do able.The one to ask is Norfolk  nog,who sadly doesn't  post often now.He nearly  always  comes to the broads over winter and sings praises of winter boating.One thing for sure,the broads in winter are truly beautiful. So much so.We now are living  in Norfolk .Speck to yards,take ther advice  and enjoy. 

The lack of water points is probably our biggest concern for hiring in February.

We've just had 'Prince of Light' from Herbert Woods and needed to top up the water virtually every other day for just the 2 of us, and that was with limited showers and toilet flushing. The wanter tank seemed a lot smaller than anything else we've hired in the past - so assuming all the 'public' water points are disconnected during the winter I'm not sure how we'd manage.

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

I think Richardson's are starting their season in February next year. And I noticed that the prices are higher for Feb half term week, so you have to be careful with the dates.

Yes I'd noticed richo are offering some boats in Feb next year. To cold for me though lol...

• Thanks 1

With our climate forever changing, who knows how far into the future it will be before the Broads become an all year round destination. But good luck, I've seen the odd boat or two moored outside the wroxham hotel in feb. Funnily enough I always use to see the same boat from swancraft. 

I guess we are about to find out what water availability is like up north in November as we’ll be heading that way later this week. (We are on Moonlight Shadow. ) I’ve never got the impression from the Nogs that water has been a particular issue.

Down south I’ve been advised that we can get water at Reedham if we use our own hose. We have previously topped up in February in Loddon, Beccles, Oulton Broad, Surlingham Ferry Inn and, in Brundall, Brooms have a water point on their fuel key.

Does anyone know in which locations taps are turned off up north? If there is an issue with that, I assume that we’ll be able to top up in the boatyards, anyway, so it’s not something we are concerned about. As someone else mentioned, we don’t tend to shower much on board when it’s cold. In February 2019 we were stuck on our home mooring for three days during storm Ciara. Brooms had turned the water point near our mooring off. But, we topped up before the storm and our water supply lasted the three days. Apart from not having showers we weren’t particularly frugal with the water. I’ve no idea whether we have a particularly large tank though.

Lack of water points shouldn’t be a problem if you are prepared , I would suggest bringing a hose pipe along as many of the water points only have the hose removed but are still turned on .

Water is always available at Horning green and Ranworth all year round .

Also At Herbert Woods and NBD so if you’re on the Northen rivers there shouldn’t be an issue .

your own hose can be used at Neatishead , Salhouse and Womack water possibly others but those above we have used over the winter months.

The Broads are absolutely stunning over the winter , yes it’s chilly , we tend to layer up wear thermals and bed down early .

As long as there is no ice on the river then we tend to set sail , love the tranquility and the stark change of the panorama , 

• Like 2

Although woods main hire season is all but over, they still have a few boats going out with the fishermen over the winter. Apparently these are regular customers year in year out. So I assume there must be some facility available, can't see them making there way back to potter evey couple of days for water. 

We've been out many times over the years on 'B.A' Nov through to April, every month.  Planning ahead for water supply ain't that difficult.  The big one for us is iced up rivers, that is a definite boat stopper and has caught us out a few times.  Ice on deck and iced up quay walkways is always a danger to be respected

Griff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Take your own hose and tap connectors, as they’re often removed, too.  

If you read back over Norfolk Nogs posts,   Howard does point out that they take their own hose and adapter.    They knew every water point and its plus and minus points.     

Take at least 4 x 5 ltr bottles of water.   Plus 2ltr bottles of water.     Water you need for everything.    Dont take showers, just a wash up and down (it has never killed anyone to my knowledge yet)   Lets face it to flush the loo - the river with the aid of a bucket tied to a piece of rope and you can flush the loo.     Water points are ok until they freeze solid as they did when The Beast from the East struck.

Can I just add from a woman's point of view,  you may think it is lovely and an adventure but anyone like me would find it not so.  I hate the cold and damp.      Cannot see any fun in constantly worrying about batteries.    Although we take camping lights so no need for lights in the evening and a power pack to back up batteries when using the TV.   All things to be considered.

How about a nice cosy warm riverside bungalow?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hylander said:

If you read back over Norfolk Nogs posts,   Howard does point out that they take their own hose and adapter . . . . . . 

We have our own hose and adapters on Norfolk Lady and there used to be a hose and a box of various adapters on Moonlight Shadow.  We haven’t been on board her for a while, but Helen may confirm whether it’s still there.

7 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I've Booked for Two weeks

Interested to know, do you have a preferred kind of boat for out of season, those chillier months. I’m thinking that a dual steer like Zircon Emblem is going to be the cosiest, no sliding roof. Or something like Platinum Emblem with the patio doors, although we’ve never hired that style of cruiser. Plus less chance of getting up the Ant. And I would have to stern moor to be able to get off!! 🤭

Yes, there are a couple of hoses on Moonlight Shadow. One is really slow though, consisting of three small pipes joined together to make a flat hose. The other is faster being one tube that flattens on the storage wheel, but it’s not that long. Graham has brought along a couple of hose to hose connectors though, one of which he will leave on board, so we can join both hoses up if necessary.

14 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

We did it but with lots of precautions. 
safety factor. Ice on the decks. 
we’ve got a flattie which is ideal because moving about and getting out for mooring is easy. 

we’ve got a paraffin heater now so that we drain less from batteries. 

Haven`t seen a paraffin heater in a long time, are they safe to use on a boat being a naked flame and a liquid or have you secured it to stop it moving around and do they still smell like I remember?

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Interested to know, do you have a preferred kind of boat for out of season

Have you looked at Bridgecraft Jean. I know you like to go for more modern cruisers, but they have a couple which might fit your budget for an out of season cruise. 

Humber Bridge is available for 4 nights (3 and 4 nights are the same price) from the 29th March at a price of £379 plus £120 fuel (you won't use that much in 4 nights) and £60 damage waiver. It has a "partial" walk around bed, and would be quite spacious for you. 

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/humber-bridge-bh1232?start=29-03-2022&adult=2&nights=4

or you could have Forth Bridge 1 for 4 nights from the 26th April at £445 plus £120 fuel and £60 damage waiver. This boat has a true walk around bed in the aft cabin, and being dual steer, would be warm in the saloon etc.

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/BH1178?start=26-04-2022&nights=4

• Like 1