Cruiser Hire In February - Thoughts?

750XL

Interesting options David. Humber Bridge has an island bed of sorts but with the headboard in the middle of the room it wouldn't work for us. I know I've scoured their boats before looking for a suitable option. Forth Bridge is interesting. Longer than we would usually take at 38ft. And I'm not sure about that steering position. Are you helming outside whatever the weather?

Forth Bridge looks good but take note -The bed is hard so recommended taking a mattress topper - that came from one of the reviews.    Silver Simoom is the same, rock hard bed.     You would have been more comfortable on the floor.    Yet some boat beds are really comfy.

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

. Are you helming outside whatever the weather?

No Jean. It's dual steer. On the plan, the saloon helm is on the right hand side. (Can't vouch for the comfort of the bed though!). The reviews on Hoseasons look good, and I could only find one person mentioning the bed.

Forth BridgeplanL.jpg

For those better informed than me, can I ask about the diesel warm air heaters hire boats have fitted.

We've just had a holiday on board 'Prince of Light' from Herbert Woods and it had a Eberspächer diesel warm air heater fitted. The young lad who did our handover said the main engine needed to be running with some idle revs applied during startup, and left running for about 50 minutes whilst the heating was running or it'll just blow cold air and drain the batteries.

I knew that once the warm air heating unit had started itself up the engine didn't need to be running, so didn't question him on being 'wrong' and we just carried on the handover as per.

The warm air heating was fantastic, really warmed up the boat in absolutely no time at all but we didn't use it after 8pm as we were worried about running the engine for a few minutes to start it up.

But, on the last few days of the trip, knowing our batteries were well charged I started the heating at night without the engines running and it started up absolutely fine and ran fine for a good length of time! Wish I'd knew earlier in the trip really.

Are the yards just over cautious giving out advice that the engine needs to be running when starting Eberspacher units? Was I just 'lucky' being able to start the heating without the engine running purely off battery power?

Just for the record, Prince of Light was a fantastic boat and highly recommend it (and HW) to anyone.

We hired the same boat and never used the engine at all when firing up the heating, we found the heating to be overpowering tbh so kept turning down the temp till we found a comfy temp. I'd agree they are a great little boat and yes the yards are over cautious it saves them a call out when battery's go flat. 

I've never run an engine to fire up my eberspacher on this boat or my last, the boat I had before that had a webasto and was outboard powered/charged, that always fired up fine too.

You only need to run an engine to start a diesel heater if the batteries are either flat or knackered or the wirings is dodgy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 750XL said:

For those better informed than me, can I ask about the diesel warm air heaters hire boats have fitted.

We've just had a holiday on board 'Prince of Light' from Herbert Woods and it had a Eberspächer diesel warm air heater fitted. The young lad who did our handover said the main engine needed to be running with some idle revs applied during startup, and left running for about 50 minutes whilst the heating was running or it'll just blow cold air and drain the batteries.

I knew that once the warm air heating unit had started itself up the engine didn't need to be running, so didn't question him on being 'wrong' and we just carried on the handover as per.

The warm air heating was fantastic, really warmed up the boat in absolutely no time at all but we didn't use it after 8pm as we were worried about running the engine for a few minutes to start it up.

But, on the last few days of the trip, knowing our batteries were well charged I started the heating at night without the engines running and it started up absolutely fine and ran fine for a good length of time! Wish I'd knew earlier in the trip really.

Are the yards just over cautious giving out advice that the engine needs to be running when starting Eberspacher units? Was I just 'lucky' being able to start the heating without the engine running purely off battery power?

Just for the record, Prince of Light was a fantastic boat and highly recommend it (and HW) to anyone.

Hmmm.  I’d suggest that the yard were being over cautious.  If the batteries are Kerry Packered, then the heating probably won’t fire up, but if they’re in good shape, it should fire without issues.  The batteries are expensive and the yards will probably try to squeeze every last amp out of them before they’re replaced, so my assumption is that if they tell everyone to run their engines to make the heating work, they’re covering the backsides.  Not only that, but the hirer will be burning more diesel to reduce their rebate at the end of the holiday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Haven`t seen a paraffin heater in a long time, are they safe to use on a boat being a naked flame and a liquid or have you secured it to stop it moving around and do they still smell like I remember?

It’s a square thing with all the safety features. Auto shut off when tilted, flame behind glass, metal gauze heating and battery start. 
It has a detachable fuel tank that allows remote refuelling. 
coupled with the boats own carbon monoxide alarm and in built vents. 
we use the boats own heater when moving and the paraffin when moored because it’s cheaper to run and of course, power free. 

7 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

It’s a square thing with all the safety features. Auto shut off when tilted, flame behind glass, metal gauze heating and battery start. 
It has a detachable fuel tank that allows remote refuelling. 
coupled with the boats own carbon monoxide alarm and in built vents. 
we use the boats own heater when moving and the paraffin when moored because it’s cheaper to run and of course, power free. 

And does it smell of paraffin?

4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Humber Bridge is Howard's (Norfolk Nog) regular boat. I loved the stern cabin on Forth Bridge 2 with its diagonal bed. Forth Bridge 1 is slightly different I think but no doubt just as nice.

Either Forth Bridge 1 or 2 would be good. I chose 1 because it accommodates six as opposed to seven people, and therefore might give a little more space.

36 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Either Forth Bridge 1 or 2 would be good. I chose 1 because it accommodates six as opposed to seven people, and therefore might give a little more space.

I think both have the same layout with the exception of the stern bed orientation so I'm not sure why they're different capacities. Re bed comfort, personally I found the bed to be on the comfier side from what I've experienced.

3 hours ago, andyg said:

Just out of interest, would you hire the boat again ?? 

Prince of Light? Yes, absolutely, we loved the boat and had no problems at all during our 11 night trip. Everything worked flawlessly and Herbert Woods were excellent when we picked up the boat. A bigger water tank would be the only thing, if I was really nit picking. 

Hired 'Waveney Pegasus' last year and it was a bit of a nightmare, as well as being very tall so couldn't get up the Ant etc. Previous years we'd hired 'Brinks Duet' and had a few minor problems with them (toilets, heating, etc).

For the price we thought Prince of Light was a great little cruiser for just the 2 of us, admittedly both in our 20's so perhaps more able to get on and off such a low boat than some older couples!

Actually wanted to book Prince of Light for February but looks like Herbert Woods only have a small selection of large (6-8 berth) cruisers available for that time of the year, half tempted to give them a call and see if they'll let us have it a few weeks earlier than it's planned to go back on hire (March) but we'll see.

• Like 1

Yes we loved it to, only niggle we had was the water pump. It needs a more powerful pump on the shower. Excellent value for money. We moored next to a couple on adventuring light, take a look at that before you book. Same boat but with a couple of improvements on prince. Things like TV mounted on the wall in the rear cabin different type of fabrics used used etc etc. 

21 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Humber Bridge is Howard's (Norfolk Nog) regular boat.

Cracking winter boat Simon. :91_thumbsup: warn and cosy and low air draught too. 

Been doing December and February for 15 years and highly recommend it. We've had very mild winters recently so freezing isn't the problem it once was. Just be careful not to moor at the likes of Ranworth, Womack, Sutton etc if very cold weather is forecast. Water is not a problem either if you  plan ahead. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Just be careful not to moor at the likes of Ranworth, Womack, Sutton etc if very cold weather is forecast. 

I'd not disagree with that.

The coldest I have ever been in my life was a couple of weeks after the Beast from the East, moored at Ranworth Staithe where it was officially -2 outside but with about 30-40mph winds making it feel like the North Pole outside.

On 31/10/2021 at 19:15, Mouldy said:

Hmmm.  I’d suggest that the yard were being over cautious.  If the batteries are Kerry Packered, then the heating probably won’t fire up, but if they’re in good shape, it should fire without issues.  The batteries are expensive and the yards will probably try to squeeze every last amp out of them before they’re replaced, so my assumption is that if they tell everyone to run their engines to make the heating work, they’re covering the backsides.  Not only that, but the hirer will be burning more diesel to reduce their rebate at the end of the holiday.

Interesting. Previously we've been told to run the engine before putting the heating on. On our hire last week, there was no mention of this, so we just put the heating on when we wanted it and it worked fine.

Except once when it just flashed a little green light at us. So I tried putting the engine in neutral and this time the heating came on. Not sure what was going on because we seemed to have plenty of battery left.

On 31/10/2021 at 22:01, DAVIDH said:

I'm just back from 4 days on Forth Bridge 2, and in a strange coincidence thie evening I've been comparing the interiors of the Lowliner Mk 1 and Mk 2 (Forth Bridge 2 and 1 respectively) from a boat yard on the Thames with some nice "VR" walkrounds on their web site.

So far as I can see, the saloon space is exactly the same in both designs. If the Forth Bridge 1 is like the one I was just looking at, the extra capacity comes from replacing the dressing table in the rear cabin with an extra single bed.

The Forth Bridge 1 gives you a rear door which avoids the need to climb around the boat at a stern-on mooring. On the other hand, the lack of a door gives you the nice diagonal bed that the Forth Bridge 2 has, and more storage space in the rear cabin. Apart from getting our luggage on and off the lack of a door wasn't really a problem, but it would be for some people I'm sure.

The bed was....OK, though I have to say I don't think I've ever enjoyed my bed at home as much as getting back from the boat. Various reviewers mentioned problems with the boat none of which were apparent to us, and it was in very good condition inside especially considering it's the end of a very busy season.

I'd happily hire a Forth Bridge again, though I would take a Diamond 43 over it any day - in almost every way the design is a great improvement (separate shower, opening canopies, both helms central, a bit more length so you get an extra proper cabin rather than quarterberth, the canopy doesn't get in the way of the wheel when down). The only thing that I'd say is better about the Forth Bridge design is that you can lift the 'hatch' to the upper helm without it blocking the view from the person at the helm. And the fact that it was actually available when we booked a replacement for our lost summer holiday. (Shame there's only 3 Diamond 43's for hire....and if I had the money and the time for it I'd be looking to buy a share in Thunder or Lightning when one came up).

Happy to answer any questions about the Forth Bridge 2...

31 minutes ago, Coryton said:

The Forth Bridge 1 gives you a rear door which avoids the need to climb around the boat at a stern-on mooring.

No, neither of the Forth Bridges have a stern door. I've hired Soprano in the past which does have a stern door. It was a mixed blessing though because whilst it was useful for stern moorings, it was a big old climb up to the stern deck from the door well. The stern cabin was nowhere near as nice as Forth Bridge 2.

5 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

No, neither of the Forth Bridges have a stern door. I've hired Soprano in the past which does have a stern door. It was a mixed blessing though because whilst it was useful for stern moorings, it was a big old climb up to the stern deck from the door well. The stern cabin was nowhere near as nice as Forth Bridge 2.

Ah apologies for the confusion - I'd somehow got it into my head that the Forth Bridge 1 was a Mk II Lowliner. I did like the stern cabin we had.