Boat Hooks

Bluebell

There’s been some quite derogatory comments made about boat hooks from time to time on this, and other, forums. I popped over to check on the boat today and my boat hook had a few comments to make.

”Whilst I haven’t ever been used to hook or prod another boat, don’t forget the times I pulled out of the water the chair you use for fishing, the landing net, the old fishing bag and last, but not least the boat bucket”. Fair enough I say, what about others?

Happy New Year all…😎

FF734D95-04CC-4217-9476-71587E9E33A1.jpeg

037C111A-277C-422C-A12E-6393A2892359.jpeg

A7460185-72D1-4319-8AFF-ED81CB9D3BD3.jpeg

AFC3B865-41CD-418B-9BF3-E1C9B043A50A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Never bought a boat hook, picked up several out of the rivers though..

I've had the tell off several tourists for waving boat hooks at sailing boats.

One it's downright dangerous 

Two it can cause serious damage to boat or person.

Three, it can get hooked up on our ropes and pull them in.

A certain, currently nameless, forum member took these comments about unsafe boathooks to heart last year and modified his own hooks blunt end with a rubber cup from a sink plunger. 

All was well until he demonstrated his new invention on the boat next door whereupon the plunger stuck fast and he was left with just the handle,a red face and his audience in stitches!

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

A certain, currently nameless, forum member took these comments about unsafe boathooks to heart last year and modified his own hooks blunt end with a rubber cup from a sink plunger. 

All was well until he demonstrated his new invention on the boat next door whereupon the plunger stuck fast and he was left with just the handle,a red face and his audience in stitches!

That would be me. One end for hooking, one end for fending off

I was trying to find a pic of it working but alas there are none available. I did get a certificate for it though. And not one my Mum made for me - a proper one. #proudestmomentofmylife 

And someone has a video of it being used to hand over a drink in a socially distanced manner.

Andy T Inventor

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AndyTBoater said:

That would be me. One end for hooking, one end for fending off

I was trying to find a pic of it working but alas there are none available. I did get a certificate for it though. And not one my Mum made for me - a proper one. #proudestmomentofmylife 

And someone has a video of it being used to hand over a drink in a socially distanced manner.

Andy T Inventor

Sadly 'someone' can't find video but it working on it. She has it on an sd card but is not at home currently.  She asks what it's worth to not  find it?