Boat Rocking & Moving Windy Conditions

Andrewcook

I've never been able to get my head around this lol

Great diagram but I still can't see how tying up like that makes a difference. Obviously I don't dispute that it does indeed work... I just can't see why!

Any simple explanations anyone?

🍺

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've never been able to get my head around this lol

Great diagram but I still can't see how tying up like that makes a difference. Obviously I don't dispute that it does indeed work... I just can't see why!

Any simple explanations anyone?

🍺

Mrs Nog asked the same the other day 

Not a clue but it stops forward and backward movement and as the ropes are quite long they can flex up and down with the tide 

How often do you see boats moored with about a foot of rope from the cleat to the nearest post? 

• Thanks 1

100_3499.thumb.jpg.bb4a039ec50c8f8af5613a73bd434862.jpg

This is the same arrangement as Howard's drawing, taken in 2017 when we were moored at the Rushcutters, where there is a large rise and fall of tide.

Broads mooring ropes are always far too short, so I always bring a long one with me, to make the two springs.  As Grendel says, the boat is about a foot off the bank, but cannot surge backwards and forwards, because of the spring lines.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi how do you stop a Boat from Moving and & Rocking in Windy conditions 

Buy a caravan.....:default_biggrin:

Long angled lines have a lot more give than short straight ones hence the extra scope of rise and fall they can cope with while staying in the right place, nylon lines are good for stopping snatching as they have a bit of stretch but not as good for abrasion resistance, polyester tends to have very little stretch but a polyester braid over nylon core gives a nice compromise.

Those hideous polypropylene things the hire boats tend to have are crap all round (but cheap) but have the advantage of floating which means less prop foulings to deal with, that is why throw lines and life rings tend to use polyprop, no use aiming for a sinking line when trying not to drown.

My lines are a bit of a liability at about 17 metres long each but I never run out of length.

P.S. There are no ropes on a boat, just lines sheets and halyards (last two are just for the wafi's, normal folk don't need them). :default_smiley-taunt014:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

100_3499.thumb.jpg.bb4a039ec50c8f8af5613a73bd434862.jpg

This is the same arrangement as Howard's drawing, taken in 2017 when we were moored at the Rushcutters, where there is a large rise and fall of tide.

Broads mooring ropes are always far too short, so I always bring a long one with me, to make the two springs.  As Grendel says, the boat is about a foot off the bank, but cannot surge backwards and forwards, because of the spring lines.

That is not the arrangement that Howard shows on his diagram. 

Head and stern lines should come from the offshore cleats as shown in the diagram. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marshman said:

My guess, is that most people use the bankside cleats - I certainly do!  There are enough trip hazards on a boat and I find it works well enough! Variations on a theme!!

I personally use Nog's layout which shouldn't be a trip hazard as the rope ends up overhanging the water between cleat and bankside, unless off course you can walk on water then perhaps it may be a trip hazard! :default_norty:

• Like 1

Not necessarily so! NN has conveniently put the posts on the bank where he wants them, but that rarely happens and in those circumstances the lines may cross over my aft cockpit and i don't need that!

In fact I to use my own variation on a theme as I have a central cleat which in most cases serves admirably well most of the time up north!

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 22:45, NorfolkNog said:

Mrs Nog asked the same the other day 

Not a clue but it stops forward and backward movement and as the ropes are quite long they can flex up and down with the tide 

How often do you see boats moored with about a foot of rope from the cleat to the nearest post? 

On two boats from two different yards last November on a wet & windy evening when the Quay Attendants had finished for the winter.  When the one I helped was asked if they had been given any specific mooring instructions for rough weather they just looked blank & said "No" The other (when finally helped by a local boat owner) even had the bow rope up & around the rail & then straight down onto the mooring post. Both only had one stern rope out.

• Like 1