Pedro's Acle

andyg

The site is still owned by the Richardson's family apparently, who knows. Can't ever see it being a viable hire base without some considerable investment. No workshop to speak of really. Limited facilities etc. Time will tell. I had hoped it would return but sadly not to be. I'd only ever heard good things about the restaurant and it seemed very popular. No idea if the owner was the guy who ran the bbc as well. But it all seems to have gone belly up for him sadly. 

Oh dear, the sad economic facts of life. I only ate there once and it was very nice. They were busy there last July when we sat out in their veranda for a drink. I guess they were always up against stiff competition with the Bridge across the road.

Probably more footfall in Grimsby all year round, and as Simon says, even in summer they had competition from the Bridge Inn. Even the latter can be very quiet mid-week during winter. 

The opening of Pedro's in Acle coincided with the opening of the bbc yard, and general investment in the Acle site, so I guess once that closed its days were numbered. 

As I understand the situation, the young man that opened up the BBC hire yard there was the same chap that opened up Pedro's too.  I met him just as he was opening up the hire yard.  He was young and full of ambition / enthusiasm  He explained it had always been a dream of his to run a Broads hire yard.  He came down from Carlisle with funds accumulated from a successful restaurant / hotel business.

Financially it failed, his last venture was building new moulds / boats at Brundall but that has gone quiet a while back too.

No idea what's happened to him.  I suspect he has gone back up North having accomplished his dream.  Ultimately it failed BUT at least he had the gonads to give it a go.  I wish him well

Just what will become of the Acle site, Pedro's and Brundall workshop I have no idea

Griff

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Pedro’s are opening in Grimsby. Google Pedro’s@themanor

I knew there was at least one other Pedro's site, but I thought it was in the lake district and a guesthouse/ b&b. I'm sure I read it on there website. It's a shame his broads adventure is over is what I meant. I know he had big ambitions for the bbc fleet. But hopefully his new venture will succeed. Like I said I've only ever heard good things about Pedro's @ acle so it's a shame another well thought of business has gone.

4 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

As I understand the situation, the young man that opened up the BBC hire yard there was the same chap that opened up Pedro's too.  I met him just as he was opening up the hire yard.  He was young and full of ambition / enthusiasm  He explained it had always been a dream of his to run a Broads hire yard.  He came down from Carlisle with funds accumulated from a successful restaurant / hotel business.

Financially it failed, his last venture was building new moulds / boats at Brundall but that has gone quiet a while back too.

No idea what's happened to him.  I suspect he has gone back up North having accomplished his dream.  Ultimately it failed BUT at least he had the gonads to give it a go.  I wish him well

Just what will become of the Acle site, Pedro's and Brundall workshop I have no idea

Griff

Nothing ventured nothing gain griff,fair play to the guy for giving it ago. From what I remember he was gradually improving the boats he had and like you say was planning new boats as well. 

26 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Didn’t the Mexican Restaurant in Norwich used to be called Pedros 

It's quite a common name for a Mexican restaurant, so there might not be a connection.

In any case, I don't think Acle Pedro's ever claimed to be a purely Mexican restaurant - it was more about 'tapas with a twist). As far as I can recall from the publicity that attended the opening of the Broads Boating Company and a thread on this forum (OP was Griff I think), the Pedro's in Kendal was mentioned but not any other restaurants in Norfolk. It must have done well to start with, as they also opened a second Pedro's in Horning, near Ferry Marina.

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

There's no connection to the Norwich one in Chapelfield Gardens (now also closed).

The site in Windermere is now under new management.

Looking at a press release, I think the Grimsby one could be the same people https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/scartho-restaurant-launches-exciting-news-6712549

Yes it's the same team, with a good touch of amnesia thrown in for good measure.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/empty-beeches-hotel-restored-former-5416041

Seems to have forgotten all about the few years spent in Norfolk :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1