Hijinks On On Hi-jinks

We had a meal in The New Inn, Horning a few weeks ago.  It’s fair to say it wasn’t the best pub meal I’ve had, but it was far from the worst.  By comparison, we had an extremely average meal at The Ferry Inn, Horning on a busy Friday evening in August, but went again (with a deal of trepidation) on a quiet Friday evening in November and had a very good meal.

Who knows why there is such a lack of consistency in their service levels.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Who knows why there is such a lack of consistency in their service levels.

If it’s still difficult to find staff that could explain it. A lot of establishments seem to have had difficulty with consistency over the last three years, even those that had very good reputations. 

I’ve eaten a couple of times since the reincarnation at The New Inn , both were standard chain pub offerings nothing to rave over but certainly had poorer meals both home and away .

To date we haven’t tried the Ferry since reopening so cannot pass comment as to their meals .

The Swan , although the priciest of the three, we have always found to be better than average and the service excellent .

Beer wise , I have found The Swan offered the better range of ales (but 50p more a pint than The New Inn at last visit) , also The New Inn proudly displays their Caskmark award which I have always found translates into the ale being served too cold to the extent it ruins the flavour , also last couple of visits the only offering at The New Inn has been Adnams Ghostship , an ale (IMHO) now being overproduced and which has lost its depth of flavour.

Have not sampled the ales at The Ferry since they reopened , but have heard they are varied and well kept .

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Yes we did, pointing to the remainder of the cremated chicken when the plate was collected and the response was a friendly smile, apology and a promise to inform the chef.

Carole

Just the ‘they’ll inform the chef’ always seems a bit of a get out clause but not resolve the complaint type of response. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, addicted said:

No, there was not the usual enquiry had there been so we would have pointed  out the shortcomings immediately as it was very apparent. As my dad used to say, When it's brown it's done, when it's black it's bu***ered!

I think the trendy term for burnt food now is ‘caramelised.’  Probably should have charged you extra for that!! :default_coat:

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

My children love incinerated food :facepalm:x

Get some peace and quiet while you cook, take the battery out of the smoke alarm... :default_biggrin:

I gotta admit I prefer something well cooked to something a good vet could get going again, you'll never get food poisoning from something overcooked.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

All this talk of imminent snow is very worrying. We're re-locating from NBS Brundall to Ferry marina for the coming season and want ideally to do the trip by the end of March.  I don't fancy making  it in the sort of weather being predicted . We liked it at NBS very good service  helpful staff etc., however we spent the season of 2019  at Ferry and liked it. Plus with  the boat we have now we can go to many more places than we could then.

Carole

• Like 1

I hope you're right, I find the trip over a bit daunting at the best of times but in weather such as has been mentioned it would be a definite no no. The marina  has  very kindly given us a little leaway should the weather prove  a problem. But having made the decision to relocate  I'm anxious to get it done sooner rather than later.

Carole

Yesterday, we went to the marina to take  off the winter cover, reinstate the framework and fit the canopy. It was a bit of a struggle as the wind was much livelier than the forecast had predicted and the winter cover almost took off on a solo flight! as we laid it on the pontoon to fold it. Still we managed it and the canopy is now back in place.  The tide looks to be suitable for us to make the trip North on March 31st and the long range weather prediction is sun and cloud not that the weather is crucial on this boat as it was with Hot Gossip 2 whose height meant we had to cross Breydon  with the canopy off and the radar mast lowered, a real fun journey in the rain and howling wind  - Not!. We sampled the food at the Grey Heron forthe first time, calling in there on our way home for lunch.  It  was very nice indeed, well cooked, generous portions and very friendly,  prompt service.  I still find the ambience a bit soulless and  the absence of any soft furnishings make it very loud with just a few not particularly noisy people present. Having said all that I would have no hesitation in returning on the back of yesterdays' experience.

Carole

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well we made it to our new  mooring at Ferry marina. Tony got  the boat cleaned on Thursday and she looked so much better for it. The first clean of the season is so rewarding. Getting rid of  of  all  that green algae that builds up during the winter and all the black streaks that run out of the rubbing strakes. Friday morning we set off at about 9.10am.  I made us some bacon sandwiches en route. The weather was dire rain and wind but as the boat is a sedan we were inside so no worries. We had a troublefree cruise and berthed at Ferry at 3.10pm.  The rain kindly stopped to let us tie up in comfort. We then got a taxi back to Brundall to collect the car.  Arriving at NBS to find some friends had arrived on their boat .  So, we  went to say hello (and  goodbye) enjoyed theIr hospitality very much (he's a wine merchant !) and arrived back at Ferry marina at about 6.45pm. Decided to have dinner in the Ferry pub which doesn't look much different following it's recent refurbishment except it's now painted out in a fairly ghastly shade of  electric mint green . Enoyed a very  nice meal, had a long chat with some  fellow new berthholders just arrived from their home in Spain,  and got back on board about 8.00pm. Woke up this morning to hammering rain and decided to call it  a day and came home. Going back for Easter unless the weather promises to be truly dreadful in which cased we may think it out again.

Carole

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the boat on good Friday morning arriving at lunchtime.  Unpacked, had lunch and then Tony cleaned out  the bilges in the engine bay and lazarette. We had noticed a smell of diesel on our last visit and investigation from Gary from Sheerline found a small weep on the central heating feed pipe which he sealed. Job done - no more  diesel pong we settled down for a relaxing afternooon with the papers. Decided to have dinner at The Ferry. It was heaving with loads of  boaters gathered there seeming to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, such a pleasure to see. Returned to the boat about 9.30 pm enjoyed a  couple of glasss of Red and watched a little t.v. before bed. Saturday was a lazy day doing very little after going to the village for some papers. The weather wasn't that good, but we woke up  to glorious sunshine on Sunday morning and the rest of the day didn't disappoint. We went for a walk round the marina after lunch and met and got talking to a few very nice fellow berth holders before returning to he boat to cook dinner and spend a pleasant evening with a good bottle of Merlot and some watchable t.v. Woke up Monday to pouring rain not very inviting but the thought of being home in the warm and dry was, so off home we went. Hope you all enjoyed your weekend whatever you chose to do.

Carole

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

On Friday we decided to head off to the boat for a few days arriving just after midday. got unloaded settled down for a quiet afternoon with the papers and  then off to the Ferry Inn for dinner.  It was very quiet in there thanks to the somewhat grim weather probably. We enjoyed a very nice meal and then back to the boat for a little t.v. a nice glass or two of red and than to bed. Saturday  morning it was our intention  to meet up with  Sam and Graham (Lulu on Luna). We arranged to see them at St. Benets Abbey moorings. We had a small drama  as we left our mooring when we discovered that our stern thruster had developed a fault and wouid not work to starboard.SAm and Graham were there well before us and knowing we were under way Sam texted to warn us that the padddle boarders were around where we were heading So I texted back not to worry and  that we were at ramming stations! We negotiated the paddle boarders without incident and moored next but one to Luna. We enjoyed a lovely couple of hours chatting before they left to go back onto their boat and we had a light lunch before spending a peaceful afternoon watching the comings and goings on the river. The weather was still dull and chilly. Sunday we woke to much the same with a little mist thrown in for good measure. Sam and Graham headed off to Womak and shortly after we headed off to Horning where we found to our great surprise the whole staithe  unoccupied. We moored, plugged in and spent a lovely day.,the latter part in brilliant sunshine, watching the river activity before heading back to our mooring at Ferry at about 5.00pm. Fortunately as we were reversing onto our mooring a fellow berth holder appeared and took our ropes so the defunctive thruster didn't cause a problem. we ate dinner on board and watched a little t.v. before going to bed. Monday we did little or nothing but relax and early evening Gary from Sheerline popped in on his way home from the yard and fixed our offending thruster. this morning it was an early start, well earlyish,  clean the boat (inside) pack and then home.  a v thoroughly enjoyable few days

• Like 6