Safety Ladder

Hi,

We've just bought a new boat, an Aquafibre 37, and it doesn't have any way to get back aboard if you fall into the water. I thought I'd get an emergency rope ladder withplastic steps that stays rolled up until you want to deploy it. The only thing is most of these seem designed to fit via nylon loops onto the pushpit. My problem is that my boat doesn't have a pushpit. It does have two separate rails at the stern but these are vertical to support an elevated handrail and this only leaves two vertical stainless columns, about 24 inches apart, to attach a ladder to and I'm not sure how to do this.I suppose I could use a couple of metal carbine type hooks but I'm not that mad keen to have them scratching away at the gelcoat.

I'm wondering what the best way to attach this would be. It would need to be kind to the boat yet also be safe and secure? Maybe some sort of cable or something? It would need to be strong enough to support me weighing in at 16 stones in my underpants, and no doubt a fair bit more fully clothed and wet.

Thank you

The best option is the fitted fold down ones as someone needs to be there to deploy a rope ladder, at least with the fold down rigid ones you can drop them from in the water.

You still need to get your leg fairly high in the water to get on them though as the steps don't go down very far, I believe rope ladders are pretty tricky to use and you need to know the steps and rope won't float otherwise they are useless.

Lightning had one of these fitted - https://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/flushmount-safety-ladder-3-steps

No one had warned me about it and I wondered what this plug was for that stated "pull" on it- so I pulled it!!  As it was spring loaded it launched itself rapidly into the water, took me about 15 mins to re-pack the bloody thing.

I'm having my transom cut-out rebuilt soon as previous owner bodged it, as long as enough room I might fit this just below it.

9 hours ago, wooster said:

Hi,

We've just bought a new boat, an Aquafibre 37, and it doesn't have any way to get back aboard if you fall into the water. I thought I'd get an emergency rope ladder withplastic steps that stays rolled up until you want to deploy it. The only thing is most of these seem designed to fit via nylon loops onto the pushpit. My problem is that my boat doesn't have a pushpit. It does have two separate rails at the stern but these are vertical to support an elevated handrail and this only leaves two vertical stainless columns, about 24 inches apart, to attach a ladder to and I'm not sure how to do this.I suppose I could use a couple of metal carbine type hooks but I'm not that mad keen to have them scratching away at the gelcoat.

I'm wondering what the best way to attach this would be. It would need to be kind to the boat yet also be safe and secure? Maybe some sort of cable or something? It would need to be strong enough to support me weighing in at 16 stones in my underpants, and no doubt a fair bit more fully clothed and wet.

Thank you

Which boat is it you've got? Would that be the Crystal 37 that came from Pacific?

remember, you will want the bottom rung a good 3 rungs under water level to stand a chance of using it properly, and the fixing must be secure, with a rope ladder the bottom rung will swing under the boat when you first put your weight on, so dont have it anywhere near where that could put your foot into the prop.

another method if you have good deck cleats you can reach from the water, is to put a loop in one mooring line so the loop can be slipped over a cleat, leaving the loop between the fastening and the cleat long enough to use as a foothold below water.

• Like 1

Please don't forget that Man Overboard is an emergency and you haven't got time to mess about with deployment of rope ladders etc. Engine in neutral once close by, deploy life ring attached to lanyard and pull casualty to easily deployed ladder. Therefore I would recommend fold down type on the transom which can be pushed down quickly, which I have had on all my yachts and now my Broads Cruiser. Two fat round fenders can protect it when mooring stern on. Cost is irrelevant. Suggestion below:

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Trem/Force-4-Boarding-Ladder-with-Wooden-Steps/I5F  

This is my current solution

IMG_20190406_1302365.thumb.jpg.2ad939c9a41b939cc195440d6a2001ee.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure if this would be suitable for your boat but this is what I fitted to Lady Linda. When folded it’s clear of the water but when deployed there are 2 rungs under the water. The extension is only held with a plastic clip which if pulled firmly it will release. 
Having done scuba from many dive boats ( including our own rib ) the importance of being able to climb out is paramount.

Our ladder came from Norfolk Marine and was about £130. The lower standoffs are my addition as the ladder came with adjustable plastic ones.

Beware online chandlers as the quality is poor in some cases. I.e the tube wall is very thin.

Hope this is of some use.8FC47E3A-F573-4F7B-92D3-B519772BAE5F.thumb.jpeg.66c9f2cc95fe6757b890f71422d01fc4.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

You could always make your own.  Fast deployment, hook over a cleat, bottom rung is lead weighted well below waterline

Griff

BA NBN 872.jpg

BA NBN 873.jpg

BA NBN 874.jpg

Hi Griff 

Will it sink though, being of synthetic rope and wood, if it does then yes a good cheap solution, but I would always opt for a rigid ladder for a person in panic in the water

29 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Hi Griff 

Will it sink though, being of synthetic rope and wood, if it does then yes a good cheap solution, but I would always opt for a rigid ladder for a person in panic in the water

Griff's description and pictures mentioned that the bottom rung was lead weighted.