Haddiscoe Boat Raised

ScrumpyCheddar

I think the photo might be a little misleading because of the frayed edges of the GRP where it has been chopped out? If you look at the thickness along the right edge it's fairly decent.

Certainly the C40 / C45 were laid up heavier than a lot of stuff was at that time.

But yeah, boats built in the 70's / 80's are much thicker than what is being built now. It's not just a Broads thing, I know the likes of Princess have used various techniques to achieve a much thinner layup than they ever used to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You having a laugh?

Nope, as long as it wasn't running as it was submerged I recon it's doable,Β  likely need a spare battery and not be charging but pump out sump and refill, remove glow plugs and spin over till water is out, refit glow plugs and start.

Run it till properly hot for a while and change oil again with new filter.

Pump out gearbox and refill,Β  do it again when back at base.

Probably take less time than towing by time you factor in shuffling tow boats and returning them to the right place and by the time it's back at base you know if the engine is OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I must add to my previous posts about the engine that I am assuming it's an old school mechanical injection and not a modern common rail with ECU, in which case it has a good chance of being dead as a very dead thing with added dead bits if the electrics are fried.

It'll be an old school engine, yes. There are very few common rail engines in Broads cruisers (though I do know of one yard doing it).

Assuming it's not hydrolocked it'd just be a case of getting any water out and getting it going again.

27 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It'll be an old school engine, yes. There are very few common rail engines in Broads cruisers (though I do know of one yard doing it).

Assuming it's not hydrolocked it'd just be a case of getting any water out and getting it going again.

The one's I've seen fitted look quite old lol..

They are, yeah.

Mostly big old Nannis and the prop never seems to be matched to the powertrain - It's easy to use too many revs and make them cavitate when manoeuvring.

Lovely boats and generally they handle quite well but I'd be changing the prop if I bought one.

When we hired Dominica, we figured out the best approach was to set the throttle and wait a goodly while for something to happen.

The first-gen Connoisseurs seemed to have the same problem with cavitation too. I'm guessing they might have been 'modified' when they came back from france.

• Like 2

I've looked at hiring richardsons one it looks smart and very reasonably priced.I have hired one from CC before and liked it very much. We had a problem with the engine on the one we had.It kept cutting out/ stalling if you moved the morse control to quickly. It packed up at Acle Bridge and the guys from bridgecraft had to rescue us lol. I've seen inside quite a few of the engine bays of the ones at woods and I would say there quite old engines..

Glad to hear the boat is back home😊. I have hired this actual boat a couple of times , so, of course feel as if I have some attachment to it . I know very little about the upkeep of such boats, but I would imagine HW easily have the skill and tools to put her back in action.

I also , maybe wrongly, assumed they would take her home by road?

It does make you realise, that no matter how experienced ( or not) you are at boating, things can go wrong very quickly. A wee bit of bad luck , and it can all go pete tongπŸ˜₯. No different than driving our motors I suppose.

The main thing is, the crew live to tell the tale, anything lost , can be replaced.

Β 

Oh, and off topic, but regarding another thread that has been on lately, I think this is still a very friendly forum, with the vast majority of posters being respectful, helpful and well informed.

Hats off to them who run it for us , I say.

Long may it continue πŸ’š

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I'm sure I remember reading some years ago, possibly in another place, that the gabions along the New Cut were shifting into the channel. I think, at the time, it was blamed on large twin-engine jobbies possibly from Brundall hammering up and down.

• Like 1

Word from the Rhond, well some of the first that got there anyway, is that the boat didn't hit a gabion basket down the Cut. It didn't hit the concrete buttress under the bridge. It hit the edge of the bank where it sank whilst taking avoiding action from another boat. Where it sank there is a large lump that sticks out that was submerged due to the high water. I believe it is now marked with sticks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2022 at 19:53, BrundallNavy said:

When I worked for a large hire yard we had a yacht sink at Great Yarmouth, I got the job of cleaning it out lots of black stinking mud. It was back in hire in just over two weeks so it can be done. Β 

Is that why you don't work for a large hire yard anymore ...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

That sounds about right - never actually looked like the actual New Cut to me other than the very bottom end and thats some way from the gabions I think.

Yes, the gabions are Reedham side of Haddiscoe Bridge. The boat went down right at the end of the New Cut where it joins The Waveney. Word is a yacht came around the corner from downstream of the junction on The Waveney and entered The New Cut, and the boat moved to its Starboard in avoidance and hit the unseen obstruction obscured by the very high water.

Sometime back in the 90s a group of girl hirers managed to sink a fairly large boat outside what was in those days the Cambridge rowing team boat house on the RGO on the main drag through Ely. They had apparently tried to turn round backing up to the corner of the wall that flanked the slipway Because the water was exceptionally high they were unable to see the acute angle which was submerged. A massive hole the size of a dinnerplate was punched into the stern, and she went down pretty quickly. The story went that one of the girls was trapped in the v berth and had the presence of mind to kick out the front screen and escape. Once the boat was resting on the bottom they apparently gathered all their belongings and promptly went home. Their car was only a few minutes walk away as the hire yard was just a few hundred yards upstream from where they sank. We watched the refloating the next morning, fascinating.

Β 

Carole