Disposable Meat Foil Trays

Andrewcook

Each to their own and I would not criticise anyones choices but I do wonder at todays convienience lifestyle, I like to think I am pretty self sufficent with the basics in life, I can and largely do prepare and cook meals from basic ingredients, ready meals and takeaways are a last resort, all basic household chores and maintenance are undertaken by hand, when I look at the younger generations I wonder how they would cope if and when circumstances change.

Fredf

Never had a dishwasher until we moved house a number of years ago - and we never had one growing up.

But since we got one, I wouldn't be without it now. Saves a lot of the trouble of washing and drying up (some things can't go in).

I do rinse the worst of the dirt off things, and we have never had an issue of blocked filters.

However, I reckon it is about evens on the cost, as washing up by hand means a lot of hot water down the drain. The dishwasher gets things cleaner, and should kill bacteria.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ray said:

The cutlery basket is a black art that only men ever master.

:default_coat:

And then there is the question of whether you are an 'uppy' or a 'downy' on the cutlery.

I always put cutlery in with the handles down, and the pointy bits up. On the basis that the end you use and so is most dirty, is more exposed to the cleaning process, rather than being hidden in the basket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

And then there is the question of whether you are an 'uppy' or a 'downy' on the cutlery.

I always put cutlery in with the handles down, and the pointy bits up. On the basis that the end you use and so is most dirty, is more exposed to the cleaning process, rather than being hidden in the basket.

You have the knowledge... use it wisely 😁

• Haha 1

I don't even have a basket any more - have a tray like thing at the top where the cutlery fits virtually upright in little slots.

Mind you, nothing to do with disposable meat trays!!!!!

Bit like the uninteresting news that wind power is currently now just providing 1.2% of our electricity needs - hows that for thread drift!!! Will my dishwasher even work or will the lights go out?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Don’t have that problem - ours has a separate pull out drawer thingy above the usual pull out racks for cutlery.  Works a treat and I don’t have to make an uppy or downy decision!

8C3D4635-CB5C-408A-83F0-3445986025B1.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gracie said:

How refreshing it is to read all the replies from you men about dish washers and washing up. I can imagine you all in your little aprons prancing around the house with your little feather dusters :default_biggrin: x

I begged YouTube to take down that video!

• Haha 4

The dishwasher must be a man thing, like taking over control of bbq’s. All the men in the family load the dishwashers. Any of us females get told off for loading it wrong so I now just chuck stuff in any old how knowing it will get meticulously rearranged 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, WherryNice said:

Just to bring it back to somewhere near 'boaty', I once tried to clean some fenders in my dishwasher......not terribly successful tbh;)

No, but mooring ropes and fender lines do come up well in the washing machine, but I don’t use fabric conditioner!!  :default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Just to bring it back to somewhere near 'boaty', I once tried to clean some fenders in my dishwasher......not terribly successful tbh;)

How did you get the boat in the dishwasher to wash the fenders :default_icon_eek:

Either:

a) It is a tiny dinghy

b) You have a massive industrial dishwasher

c) You are friends with Doctor Who and used the Tardis dishwasher

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

No, but mooring ropes and fender lines do come up well in the washing machine, but I don’t use fabric conditioner!!  :default_coat:

Noooooooooooooo!!! how could you?

You have to use fabric softener, makes them feel so soft and leaves your hands smelling good. So I've been told :default_icon_redface:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ray said:

The cutlery basket is a black art that only men ever master.

:default_coat:

So what are you saying because I gave up??? :default_smiley-taunt014: :default_biggrin:

And just to fuel this latest forum war further: how does the cost of a tablet compare to the average British Standard squirt of Fairy Liquid? Other washing up liquids are available.

And don't forget to dial in the cost of the occasional dishwasher tab designed solely to wash the dishwasher..

I can see the value for people with a few kids to get off to school etc but as Empty Nesters, nah. Not meaning to criticise others choices, just offering another point of view. :default_jumelles:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

So what are you saying because I gave up??? :default_smiley-taunt014: :default_biggrin:

And just to fuel this latest forum war further: how does the cost of a tablet compare to the average British Standard squirt of Fairy Liquid? Other washing up liquids are available.

And don't forget to dial in the cost of the occasional dishwasher tab designed solely to wash the dishwasher..

I can see the value for people with a few kids to get off to school etc but as Empty Nesters, nah. Not meaning to criticise others choices, just offering another point of view. :default_jumelles:

Hmm, good point, but how much is saved by not having to wash tea towels that would normally be used to dry washing up (unless you favour the drip dry method).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I can see the value for people with a few kids to get off to school etc but as Empty Nesters, nah.

Hold on, I thought that was the whole point of kids!!! You bribe them with a little pocket money and they do all the household menial chores such as washing up, whilst the parents relax with a glass of wine. :facepalm:Doh! I wasn't going to mention wine again for at least a day. Now look what you've made me do. :default_icon_redface:

• Haha 4

So it seems like I either need a machine to clean my dishes, or I need a machine to clean my tea towels because I didn't use a machine to clean my dishes!!!:default_rolleyes: So maybe I should just put the dishes in the same machine I put my tea towels in and then I only need to buy one machine Eureka!!!! :default_drinks:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Hold on, I thought that was the whole point of kids!!! You bribe them with a little pocket money and they do all the household menial chores such as washing up, whilst the parents relax with a glass of wine.

If you’re going to bribe your offspring to do menial tasks, such as the washing up, you may as well pay the cash to run a dishwasher, get the job done properly without the risk of breakages and save all the whinging and whining that would follow the bribe, whilst still enjoying a small libation. 

5 minutes ago, Meantime said:

What are tea towels? are these towels you only use at teatime? Why do I need to wipe dry clean plates with a towel? Matron help!!!!!

A drip drier clearly in evidence.  :facepalm:

• Haha 4

This is getting complicated...  Tea Towels should only ever be hand washed in tea. Wine glasses go bottom up but never in a dishwasher. To avoid knife confusion we should all use plastic disposable cutlery... but that's how this whole thing started!

🍺🙂

• Haha 3