Salhouse Lodge

Jbx5

Salhouse lodge has been bought by Colchester inns.
Looking forward to next year to have decent pub food in the village although a bit of a walk from anywhere .

The Bell inn I believe has also been sold.

Both places are ready for a good updating.

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So there may be an extra option for dining in future if you moor at Salhouse? The Fur and Feather seems to have gone through quite a few changes in management the past few years and a bit up and down in reviewers opinion. Isn’t competition supposed to be good?

I hope it won’t result in both venues being unsustainable. 

I think the Lodge has a more land based customer whereas the Fur & Feathers does likewise it will attract some from the river bank!

Mother in law has been going regularly to the Lodge to meet with friends for some years and thoroughly enjoys it there.  Telling us regularly that the pies are 'to die for' - she says it every time!

When I heard that the Lodge might be changing hands a few months ago, she did ask and they said no it wasn't! But that might have been what they were told to say!

They also have a small camping area but why anyone would want to camp on a hillock.....

• Like 1

Its used a lot by motorcaravans as up by the hotel is quite a large flat car park and a level area of grass - inside it also has a reasonable dance floor but why would they want to keep that? No doubt they will scrap that to cram more tables in - people just don't go out to listen and dance to bands these days. They went with Covid.

Cannot see it competing with the Fur and Feathers but the Bell is a shadow of its former self. Its mostly shut and seems to be trying to convince the planning authorities it is not viable as a pub!!

We drive past the back of The Lodge whenever we go to the boat and usually there are quite a few tents there , seems very popular with motorbike campers .

The Bell used to be one of our must visits , the old landlady even used to pick you up from the car park at the broad and take you back , and the food was exceptional , she used to get smoked sprats in for me whenever she knew I was coming .

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Run by the same landlord who had the ill fated Bure Court if memory serves. 

Yes indeed! 

I was drinking in the Bure Court with lots of local friends from the Wroxham boatyards on the night before the Bure Court burned down and I was one of the first, along with Tom Percival and Pete Sabberton, to drink in the newly opened Salhouse Lodge county club after Tom Farrell had bought it and done it up.  It was a great place for a drink on weekend evenings in those days!

46 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

…Tom Farrell had bought it and done it up.  

I remember Tom well from the days when he had the Wimpy Bars in Norwich. Also had the occasional lunchtime drink in the Lodge with Harry Serruys and his mates…😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

The Lodge was something of a real ale oasis back in the day. Run by the same landlord who had the ill fated Bure Court if memory serves. 

The couple who ran the Bell did indeed offer lifts. Forget their names now but nice friendly folk. 

DSC_1947.JPG

It was also in the ownership of the family who ran the Broads Hotel Hoverton. The landlady was Helen but I can’t remember her husband’s name. 

5 hours ago, Roy said:

Where was bure court probably before my time ? 

718081267_burecourt.thumb.jpeg.a6b3b0e375c1a59cb2a365e7d0a84492.jpeg

From Hoseasons catalogue of 1971.

It was down at the bottom of Marsh Rd in Hoveton, on the river front just downstream of the opening into what used to be called Daisy Broad.

Sometime that Saturday night a fire started up in the loft under the thatched roof and by the time the fire brigade could get down there and attack it, it was too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wussername said:

Vaughan. Was there not a swimming pool there? Or in my dotage,am I  confused.

I can't remember a pool but it is all a long time ago now. Around 50 years.

I think I remember it more from the land side than the river and then, only at night after dark!

For a big open air swimming pool where they did barbecue evenings, you may be thinking of Ranworth Hall Country Club, now - sadly - in private hands.