Brrr!

JanetAnne

Not had a skerrit of snow round these parts as of yet.  I so want a decent fall, Purdey dog has never seen snow to date, she normally charges round at light speed on her daily walks so I know just how much she would enjoy it.  I have a selection of Langlauf ski's up in t loft with various waxes and clothing just ready to go.  I became quite a competent cross country skier even if I do say so mysen.

In as past life I even got to take part in a three week BAMSE (Military run of course) in Norways Jotunheimen mountain region that was achieved on Telemark ski's carrying huge back packs with us.  We even skied UP (And down) their biggest mountain Galdhøpiggen in one day! 

Back here in Donny - I'm confident driving Trevor Transit with the winter tyres now fitted, MrsG's Q5 which is 4WD and will have its winters on this week assuming a get a few minutes spare

Griff

Now back in snowy Hertfordshire, I can beat Bikertov as we have 4" - I measured it!!

This is why in Norfolk today all your EDPs weren't in the shops because they are almost certainly printed at the Times Newspapers printing works just off Jnct 25 of the M25

The cats aren't happy

Liz

IMG-20221212-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221212-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have a selection of Langlauf ski's up in t loft with various waxes and clothing just ready to go

Me too Griff, well one pair of x country and a pair of telemarks. After years of downhill skiing I needed more of a challenge so learnt telemarking in Voss in Norway. I never went back to downhill skis as I could keep up with all my friends with the added bonus of getting uphill easier too!

Telemarking has the most amazing feeling of freedom when you get it right. Love it with a passion. 

Crosscountry’s fun too. I used to pull the kids on their sledge along our road. The Yorkshire Wolds are wonderful for a ski ramble. 

So roll on some snow, just as long as it’s not when I want to get to the boat. (I do appreciate not everyone likes it though). 

• Like 2

I will point out that I, Maurice Mynah, am no stranger to some of these winter sports. Downhill slalom wine tasting being my latest super sport. I very much look forwards to applying to go on the advanced course run by Gracie. 

Long distance beer swilling was the first discipline I took up, demonstrating some of the finer points to Griff at Ranworth earlier this year, whilst the 90 metre Gin jump was witnessed by Cambridge Cabby at Womak Water.

I should stress that these sports should never be attempted without proper training, something I would be happy to provide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Wise words MM.

I have, under great authority, been given the most important advice by my illustrious physician. During the current severe conditions, caused by global warming, take comfort that we are not experiencing global cooling. With that in mind MM you must increase your fluid intake. May I suggest partaking of a few drafts of a quality Southwold bitter. Notwithstanding you must keep your spirits up. May I suggest the Martell Cordon Blue, failing that a good earthy Scotch whisky, matured in an oak cask from the Cognac. 

Tootle pip!

I was learning to ski and went to somewhere in Austria. I was determined to learn without lessons and after 20 mins was getting nowhere.

A bloke came past and I asked him "Do I zig-zag down the hill or do I zag-zig?"

He said "Its no use asking me - I am a tobogganist"

So i said "In that case can I have 20 Benson and Hedges and a box of matches please?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

We travelled up from Kent this morning for a pre Christmas break. Last night we had a fair amount of snow where we live which made us doubt if we would be able to travel today. I checked Barnes Brinkcraft webcam this morning and it showed no signs of snow so we decided to make the journey. There was snow on the ground / roads until we got to Thetford, after which where there was no sign of snow for the rest of our journey to Wroxham.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

We travelled up from Kent this morning for a pre Christmas break. Last night we had a fair amount of snow where we live which made us doubt if we would be able to travel today. I checked Barnes Brinkcraft webcam this morning and it showed no signs of snow so we decided to make the journey. There was snow on the ground / roads until we got to Thetford, after which where there was no sign of snow for the rest of our journey to Wroxham.

I can vouch for that! I would say it was more like Newmarket 

• Like 1

No snow here, thankfully, but it’s extremely cold this morning.  Sent the drone up briefly to grab a few shots.  The Mere looks to be frozen over, which isn’t surprising to be honest and there is plenty of evidence of a very hard frost.

A2AF846C-E27E-439E-B3E5-5739D6A569E8.thumb.jpeg.8f86404c0a099701e8dee0bb1685dc44.jpeg

2612F099-9C4A-41CD-B032-366FAF27D45B.thumb.jpeg.577cb1741e87d9dee8bd91377eba4b13.jpeg

611B75A2-D630-47FC-9E9B-5D26731BF034.thumb.jpeg.896157406d73c87b0b01f5d3e15581b2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Have a great time Graham.are you staying at the normal piace?

I'm glad it was the 2nd - 4th December when we paid a flying visit (literally) to the UK for my aunt's 100th birthday on the 3rd.  Although the Manchester / Liverpool area isn't really known for much snow (I used to live there).

Said aunt spend numerous sailing holidays on the Broads back in the 1960s / 70s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aboattime said:

Hi Kevin. Yes we are staying at the Brick Kilns. Arrived Norfolk mid day yesterday. Went To Dereham, Wroxham and booked into pub at about 17.00. Today we went to Potter Heigham, Wayford Bridge Garden Nursery, Acle and back to base 17.00. Just finished our meal. Tomorrow we will probably go into Norwich. It’s just nice to be away.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

Hi Kevin. Yes we are staying at the Brick Kilns. Arrived Norfolk mid day yesterday. Went To Dereham, Wroxham and booked into pub at about 17.00. Today we went to Potter Heigham, Wayford Bridge Garden Nursery, Acle and back to base 17.00. Just finished our meal. Tomorrow we will probably go into Norwich. It’s just nice to be away.

Im not jealous,much!Im due a week on MS 2nd week in January but the crew {Lesley} doesnt seem that keen,cant think why?:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

• Haha 1

Flippin ‘ek Kevin. You almost sent me in a spin then, as I'd been thinking we are on the boat the first two weeks of January (from 30th December). I went back to check our weeks! 

Enjoy your week. :default_biggrin:

Just do like we do and take low wattage electric heaters, electric underblankets and so on with you and you’ll be toasty. We have left one of our electric heaters on board, it’s generally stored under the sofa and doesn’t use that much electric overnight on shore power on a low setting. When we have the family with us and have two radiators and underblankets going on a very cold night we usually need more than £2 on the shore power post. 

I must admit our ‘winter gear’ for the boat has expanded over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aboattime said:

Dont worry Helen my week starts on Friday 13th! What could go wrong?Thanks for the info, i will let you know if we will be using MS that week.

You should get a reminder from the admin mailbox on 23rd. I've set up all the pre-holiday reminders up for the year in advance.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin. I can’t think why. The temperature actually reached 4 degrees c today and we had bright sunshine. All the frost has now cleared. We changed our plan and went to Yarmouth this morning, not overly impressed by the new market, but it’s not finished yet so should give it a chance. Came back via Potter Heigham, Stalham, Horning and Wroxham but didn’t see any river traffic. Richardson’s had ice in their main basins and the dinghy basin at the New Inn was iced over but nothing that should put you off on the main rivers. Go for it, that’s what I say.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Hi Kevin. I can’t think why. The temperature actually reached 4 degrees c today and we had bright sunshine. All the frost has now cleared. We changed our plan and went to Yarmouth this morning, not overly impressed by the new market, but it’s not finished yet so should give it a chance. Came back via Potter Heigham, Stalham, Horning and Wroxham but didn’t see any river traffic. Richardson’s had ice in their main basins and the dinghy basin at the New Inn was iced over but nothing that should put you off on the main rivers. Go for it, that’s what I say.

We still have lots of snow and ice, and Greenhithe is still cut off!:default_biggrin:

• Like 1