Tide Tables

Davydine

7 hours ago, Mouldy said:

But beware.  All times from the beginning of 2024 are GMT

As any proper tide table should be. Without wishing to confuse too many people, a tide table for a standart port must not be corrected for summer time, or secondary port calculations will be wrong. The summer time hour, whatever the time zone, (I work mostly in CET these days), should be done before adding the hour for summer time.

35 minutes ago, Speleologist said:

As any proper tide table should be. Without wishing to confuse too many people, a tide table for a standart port must not be corrected for summer time, or secondary port calculations will be wrong. The summer time hour, whatever the time zone, (I work mostly in CET these days), should be done before adding the hour for summer time.

That may be the case for a general tide table, but the one in question has previously been adjusted to show GMT and BST as appropriate.  I thought it worthwhile to point out the change to save potential confusion.

13 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Poor Ole Parge 

Simple answer please if I use the shore base tide table in 2024 do I add an hour on to the passage time through Yarmouth?

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Depends on the time of the year. When our clocks are set to GMT no, but March to October, yes. 

On 21/01/2023 at 17:50, Davydine said:

Probably around Easter, we are a bit restricted by school holidays, so daylight might be a bit limited and want to jus see if one week will work better than another, if that makes sense.

Makes total sense Here on the South there is an even more marked decline in visitors from the North when ideal crossing time is early or late (The time to reach a mooring clearly has an effect as does 30 boats migrating North for the 2023 has led to far fewer boats staying south for their week ( or part week on weekend or midweek hires)  

I had noticed it was quiet, 2 days running passing beccles ys, and seeing only half a dozen visitors moored up, spaces at the moorings on the waveney, Oulton Broad was busy when I called in Thursday, but that was just the people wanting to watch the powerboat racing.

• 8 months later...
On 21/07/2023 at 13:29, Mouldy said:

But beware.  All times from the beginning of 2024 are GMT, with no seasonal adjustment for BST.

Wish I'd seen this before we went. Explains why the tides were about an hour out this year. Woops.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, catcouk said:

Wish I'd seen this before we went. Explains why the tides were about an hour out this year. Woops.

I usually print off my own tide table with the BST adjusted. Even so, I often find that the local conditions at the time means that the latest prediction from the Aweigh App is more accurate.

• Like 1