Tide Times

Steve2604

We have been visiting the broads twice a year for the last 8 years and before hiring I used to check the tide times at Yarmouth to make sure we could do the Southern Rivers. I could look at the timetable issued by Shorebase and see as far ahead as a couple of years and found it almost bang on. Im currently looking at hiring for next year but it looks like Shorebase is no longer providing a timetable. Is there anywhere else I can find out? Thanks in advance 

10 minutes ago, Steve2604 said:

We have been visiting the broads twice a year for the last 8 years and before hiring I used to check the tide times at Yarmouth to make sure we could do the Southern Rivers. I could look at the timetable issued by Shorebase and see as far ahead as a couple of years and found it almost bang on. Im currently looking at hiring for next year but it looks like Shorebase is no longer providing a timetable. Is there anywhere else I can find out? Thanks in advance 

Shorebase Tide tables for 2023 still available via a certain other forum

Sorry, I did not realise you were referring to 2024.

Tides in the UK are based on a time difference on Dover. I am sure for commercial users, tides for next year would be available for Dover. You would then need to make two time adjustments Gorleston on Dover & GYYS on Gorleston.

I found a website that gives tide times for Dover for 2024...

Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation - Tide Tables (cspf.co.uk)

I like how this gives times for Moon rise and set too. I found the phases of the moon on another website too.

Moon Phases 2024 - Lunar Calendar - Calendarr

(I'm not sure why it's spelling it as Calendarr , but it was copied from the web browser.)

I couldn't find anything that gave me the tide times for Gorleston though. However, I sort of cut corners by comparing the Dover times with this week's Shorebase Great Yarmouth Yacht Station tides and also compared the tides for those locations for the first week of May. It's a bit confusing, as the difference seems to vary from day to day raging from -2hrs to -2hr45mins. A rough average is around -2hrs 20 mins though, so I'm going to use that as a rough estimate to create my own tide table for March and May next year. If anyone thinks that time lag sounds completely wrong, do let me know.

I know it won't be that long before 2024 tide tables are published, but I can't wait! I love planning ahead to our future weeks, including wondering if we are likely to get across Breydon in March.

How nerdy can you get!

• Like 1

Afraid to say I always use the tide tables from our Forum's rival which calls themselves 'Official' fro some reason. The tables are excellent for passing under bridges and crossing Breydon as they give low water at various locations and slack water at Great Yarmouth. They are corrected for BST although sunset and sunrise are in GMT. 

On 28/02/2023 at 17:32, PaulN said:

Afraid to say I always use the tide tables from our Forum's rival which calls themselves 'Official' fro some reason. The tables are excellent for passing under bridges and crossing Breydon as they give low water at various locations and slack water at Great Yarmouth. They are corrected for BST although sunset and sunrise are in GMT. 

The link from the Norfolk Broads Forum takes you to the Shorebase website that the OP referred to.

Because of the height of Ranworth Breeze I always use the Broads Authority's tide table which are the only ones that can give me the height of low water at Yarmouth. Other tricks such as counting the ladders rungs at the start Yacht Station moorings, if you can see that 7 rungs are above the water line there is 10 foot clearance under both bridges and Ranworth Breeze needs 9 foot 8 inches with everything down.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ah the forum that must not be named, Sssshhhhhhh!

A ridiculous situation among supposedly rational adults... :default_badday:

That's me lost my last gold star.

you mean the official norfolk broads forum, well we can say the name (just dont cross post between the forums or link to any content between them, as we do frown upon that).

(Looks over shoulder, to see if any of the rest of the mod team noticed)