Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

With all due respect, although I own a boat, I don't live in the area, so am "a visiting tourist" and would like to be informed of such rip offs. 

What private conversations people have, and with whom, away from this forum is well and truly outside the remit of anyone here to try and censor.

And that is just a typical social media response, " so whate you're saying is..."

No one is trying to censor anyone, I was just stating my opinion which remains the same. If you are hiring a boat you are most likely to be successful and hard working. Probably a couple, both hard working. Just want to get away from it all and relax, not get involved in arguments. It would pee me right off if someone came to me with such information.

21 minutes ago, floydraser said:

No one is trying to censor anyone, I was just stating my opinion which remains the same. If you are hiring a boat you are most likely to be successful and hard working. Probably a couple, both hard working. Just want to get away from it all and relax, not get involved in arguments. It would pee me right off if someone came to me with such information.

I can empathise with this from the boatyard point of view.  The customers that I have known over the years are quite capable of working out for themselves what they might think is wrong with their holiday!  They know when they are getting good value and that is what brings them back, year after year.  I wonder what percentage of private boat owners on this forum started their love of the Broads on boating holidays?  Very often as children, with their parents? "Coot Club" and all that!

What they do not want to be told, by someone on the river bank, is that they are being fleeced.  They may well have realised that for themselves but they certainly don't want some bystander to tell them so!

Un - productive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Then there's also the perspective of the local businesses based at Ranworth Steve Gray of The Granary Restaurant has just posted a picture of the moorings with three boats visible at 1pm on the Monday of the Easter holidays. In his words, its dead here.

I don't think Steve is a big fan of Mr Packman's policies either.

• Like 1

I notice lots of members bemoaning the fact they can't see the Reform The Broads Authority Facebook page, presumably because they don't want to register as a member of Facebook. Just to say, you don't need to be a member (I think - tell me if I'm wrong) to just visit their page. Click on this link, which will take you to it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402368430170302/?paipv=0&eav=AfZJ7piQY2d0jfG4tyCnwGpnIMmADGyU0ll723qcVDx90H92H8iI7QB3Vk0m5kgZNZw&_rdr

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

And that is just a typical social media response, " so whate you're saying is..."

Sorry but that is a whole lot of conjecture and pigeon holeing, hirers come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds.

From past experience when talking to hirers and yes I started as one that sort of conversation usually starts with a comment/question from the hirer, it is quite common as an owner to be asked why something applies or what the background or history is, in this instances as in the past and in common with the accepted concept of BA moorings this has always been free I can see it coming up time and again.

Fred

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I notice lots of members bemoaning the fact they can't see the Reform The Broads Authority Facebook page, presumably because they don't want to register as a member of Facebook. Just to say, you don't need to be a member (I think - tell me if I'm wrong) to just visit their page. Click on this link, which will take you to it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402368430170302/?paipv=0&eav=AfZJ7piQY2d0jfG4tyCnwGpnIMmADGyU0ll723qcVDx90H92H8iI7QB3Vk0m5kgZNZw&_rdr

Normally I believe you need a Facebook account to access any content, if not signed in it will usually ask you to before opening a link.

Fred

7 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Normally I believe you need a Facebook account to access any content, if not signed in it will usually ask you to before opening a link.

I was signed out and used Google Incognito to test the link. It worked then, but still waiting for someone not on Facebook to tell me it doesn't.

47 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I was able to view it just now, thanks David

Strangely I kept getting told the content was not available until I logged out of faceache then it all came up for me, I do use a silly login name so maybe I've been blocked by the group as a possible snoop, as soon as I log back in it all disappears again.

Edit: Letter now written to Trudy Harrison MP so I have the right to whinge now I've joined in the action.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Strangely I kept getting told the content was not available until I logged out of faceache then it all came up for me, I do use a silly login name so maybe I've been blocked by the group as a possible snoop, as soon as I log back in it all disappears again.

Dear  Smoggy 

You are not the only one that should log out of Facebook and most of social media and it will come to them. :default_biggrin:.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

Same with twitter but there's a very tiny cross in the corner of the pop up to get rid of it. Not sure if it's the same with Facebook because I'm signed in.

One of the biggest problems with FB is learning all the settings which are available. Settings to control who can and can't see the content. The BRAG page has everything set to open at the moment so anyone should be able to see it. There have been suggestions about making it a closed group but for the time being they are leaving it open.

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

I was signed out and used Google Incognito to test the link. It worked then, but still waiting for someone not on Facebook to tell me it doesn't.

Not for me I am afraid. It just comes up with a window to log in, which I can't remove.

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry but that is a whole lot of conjecture and pigeon holeing, hirers come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds.

From past experience when talking to hirers and yes I started as one that sort of conversation usually starts with a comment/question from the hirer, it is quite common as an owner to be asked why something applies or what the background or history is, in this instances as in the past and in common with the accepted concept of BA moorings this has always been free I can see it coming up time and again.

Fred

I get that Fred but there's always a risk of putting someone off returning, and just one would be one too many.

I could elaborate but I won't be going back Barnard Castle or Ravenglass for similar reasons.

45 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I get that Fred but there's always a risk of putting someone off returning, and just one would be one too many.

I could elaborate but I won't be going back Barnard Castle or Ravenglass for similar reasons.

We all have our opinions and thats fine it would be a boring and stagnent world otherwise, I understand your point but sadly think far more will be put off unless something is done to stop people being ripped off.

Fred

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Not for me I am afraid. It just comes up with a window to log in, which I can't remove.

Not sure why it's working for some but not others. Maybe try using the link on a laptop rather than a phone, if that's what you've already tried Vaughan. 

Just a thought: Those who like me, don't like Facebook, may consider biting the bullet for the cause and signing up. Set up a throw away email address for correspondence first and use it to register so that you don't get annoying notifications in your regular mail, and you may even use a made up name so long as it's not obvious. It's just as easy to close it down again and the email once it's all over.

BRAG has acheived more in it's short history than years of fragmented forum activity and it would make good sense in my opinion to concentrate all suggestions in that place. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

Those who like me, don't like Facebook, may consider biting the bullet for the cause and signing up. Set up a throw away email address for correspondence first and use it to register so that you don't get annoying notifications in your regular mail, and you may even use a made up name so long as it's not obvious.

My login pretty much, 'Tina TheMutt' is a nice name and looks just like my avatar, gmail is easy enough to set up an email address although it does leave a link to your regular email unless very sneaky bearing in mind google owns faceache.

As for date of birth just look on any forum that lists birthdays on 1st jan and see how many 100+ year olds are still posting away, the data must be worthless by now with so many giving false details, probably why I get so many funeral plans advertised at me....

Oddly when I logged in with my previous login I couldn't get to see any BRAG content, I guess 'Ginger Muffwigg' wasn't wanted, it was from an ongoing joke at work so seemed appropriate, I can see other pages with that name but not BRAG.

• Like 1

I've had another thought and it's probably better in the case of new signees for BRAG that they probably just add an extra letter to their name to maintain a bit of credibility. Alter DOB by a couple of days.

I told no-one when I signed up but when a neighbour wished me happy birthday two days early I knew where she'd been! :default_jumelles:

It is currently an open page, no one needs to sign up to facebook. On a phone it may use the app and thus force a login but if you use on a laptop or computer you should be able to read it..

I'm not sure if this links helpful to force it to use a browser on a phone though: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1402368430170302

Certainly worth trying to follow along as you do find more people get involved as it's easier to post and normally stays on topic which is helpful.