Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

By all means air your frustrations here, I'm sure if nothing else Tom will be feeding it back, but don't expect someone to put their head above the parapet to be a target for all and sundry.

I think this is the most meaningful comment I have seen, I am sure that the word is being passed back that the 'peasants are revolting' (oops that sounds like something out of black Adder), that people are far from happy, but I am certain if Tom commented he would receive a lot of flack in return, so we must try not to shoot the messenger.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

I think this is the most meaningful comment I have seen, I am sure that the word is being passed back that the 'peasants are revolting' (oops that sounds like something out of black Adder), that people are far from happy, but I am certain if Tom commented he would receive a lot of flack in return, so we must try not to shoot the messenger.

Don't take The Queens Shilling if you are not prepared to get shot at 

Tom Always comes back with useful Info, it's not his opinion but the view of those he's paid by(as communication man) so as said before don't shoot the messenger,  I can see why he's not commenting on undefencable policies.

Leave him alone and write to your mp and the bloke actually coming up with "Rob the plebs" policy, if anyone feels offended by the word plebs take it out on the person treating us as such.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Don't take The Queens Shilling if you are not prepared to get shot at 

Another offensive comment,

You must have missed my earlier post so I have reposted it for you.

Please remember,

Under the ToS, we do not allow personal insults against people.

Any posts will be edited or deleted.

3 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I am amazed that this thread has not yet attracted a comment from our friendly BA staff member.

I wonder if he has been instructed not to get involved !!!

I would be very interested to hear what would happen if 5 or 6 boats rafted up about 10 feet away from the staithe and stayed there for a few hours or even overnight. It would be easy enough to have 2 or 3 rafts of 2 or 3 boats.

I cannot remember ever seeing any signs stating that you cannot mudweight within a certain distance of land !!!!!

Jeff   

Given current BA internal policy any comment from Tom or other employee or member would be vetted by JP first.

Fred

rather than blame the staff of the Authority, who are just following company policy handed down to them, I would much Rather see the main man himself down at Ranworth explaining to the boaters why he has introduced these measures, if he cant stand up and justify them in person, and answer all of the boaters questions, then how can he expect his staff to do so?

these charges have stirred up a lot of regular boaters to react and question them, for most new hirers, they dont know anything different, so dont question things (just go away with a bad impression of how expensive it is to go on a boating holiday, so maybe they will travel abroad or elsewhere next year). So it would be nice to have the reasoning behind this explained by the person in charge.

• Like 6

We have spent some amazing times at Ranworth. There was one time we even got a big game of cricket with at least 20 people playing over the course of an evening- my kids still talk about it.

There is nowhere around there that we have not been and spent money - the Granary, the shop, the pub, the wildlife centre, the church tea rooms, even walked up to Fairhaven gardens and tea room on occasion. But in an increasingly expensive world where our discretionary spending is already being squeezed a mooring fee on top of the money we would spend whilst we are there makes it an expensive choice and probably means we will just give it a miss.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, grendel said:

rather than blame the staff of the Authority, who are just following company policy handed down to them, I would much Rather see the main man himself down at Ranworth explaining to the boaters why he has introduced these measures, if he cant stand up and justify them in person, and answer all of the boaters questions, then how can he expect his staff to do so?

these charges have stirred up a lot of regular boaters to react and question them, for most new hirers, they dont know anything different, so dont question things (just go away with a bad impression of how expensive it is to go on a boating holiday, so maybe they will travel abroad or elsewhere next year). So it would be nice to have the reasoning behind this explained by the person in charge.

You are still a believer in flying pigs then? 

Fred

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grendel said:

The chances of that happening are substantially less than zero, however members of the public are welcome at the BA committee meetings. The next is the 12th May, I wonder how many disgruntled boaters the venue will hold?

Broads Authority - 12 May 2023 (broads-authority.gov.uk)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

You will find him on another forum.

Funny you should say that, Fred.

After making my last post, I paid (truthfully) my first visit to the "other side" in probably 5 years and had a read of their discussion.  I think I learned more in the last half hour than I have learned from this forum since BRAG was formed.  I was able to read the letter that they sent to MPs, together with some of their replies.  I also learned of a meeting in Norwich last week which was visited by a minister from DEFRA.

They allow links to the facebook group and have a thread for discussions of the group and its page.

I would not call that "campaigning" for a moment but it is certainly much more informative than "this side"!  Rather makes me wonder what our admin are so cautious about.  Maybe I should look in on their discussions more often in future, to keep in better touch?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Some-one whose opinion I would very much like to see is @Paladin.

Haven't heard from him for a while.

On 02/04/2023 at 08:27, rightsaidfred said:

The option here is don`t visit the Information Office and don`t pay.

A  There is no penalty charge posted or enforceable for non payment of an unlawful charge.

B  As long as you don`t overstay the 24 hours there is no breach of the Byelaws.

C  This was the the basis on why the charge was rejected at Reedham previously which the BA are fullly aware of and still applies, 

In 1916 "Mr.William Mckenzie K.C. opined that the B.& F.R.D.C. could be considered as the owners BUT (and I quote): 

"It appears that charges or tolls can only be made where they have been customarily paid for a period of years, so as to show that the quays are not public quays." (Staithe)
It seems clear that if they are public quays, the public are entitled to use them free of charge. The council appears to have treated both quays as public ones.

D  The definition of a Staithe from the Broads Act 1988 section IV  which applies to all BA controlled moorings 

“staithe” means any land which is adjacent to a waterway and which the inhabitants of the locality are entitled to use as a landing place;.

Anyone who wants can print this and may if approached for payment use it, you could also point out that attempting to solicit payment could be deemed committing the offence of fraud by misrepresentation.

Fred

RSF was quoted elsewhere with his permission by Paladin who was 100% in agreement with RSF's observations above.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Spoke to a hire boater who was a bit surprised by the charge. He was a bit shocked when I told him he has been charged twice.😣

While I'm sure you were well meaning, I would respectfully suggest it's best not to involve visiting tourists who may be blissfully unaware of any argument. That may have resulted in that person arguing with the people at Ranworth and/or the boatyard. It would have soured their day and may even put them off returning.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I copy and paste from BRAG FB to NBF (with the consent of both) in order to keep those who won't go onto FB, for whatever reason, informed of very important developments in this saga.

And as one that 'don't do faceache' I appreciate your copy/paste, I have tried to look at the faceache page but keep getting told the page doesn't exist for some reason.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, floydraser said:

While I'm sure you were well meaning, I would respectfully suggest it's best not to involve visiting tourists who may be blissfully unaware of any argument.

With all due respect, although I own a boat, I don't live in the area, so am "a visiting tourist" and would like to be informed of such rip offs. 

What private conversations people have, and with whom, away from this forum is well and truly outside the remit of anyone here to try and censor.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I copy and paste from BRAG FB to NBF (with the consent of both) in order to keep those who won't go onto FB, for whatever reason, informed of very important developments in this saga.

Thank you Paladin for your prompt reaction.

I suggested several weeks ago that BRAG should consider expanding their coverage further than just Facebook and  this seems a very good way of doing it.

What a pity that this forum appears risk averse, when our pleasure and future in cruising the Broads that we love, is in such obvious danger.  We should be shouting this from the rooftops!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

While I'm sure you were well meaning, I would respectfully suggest it's best not to involve visiting tourists who may be blissfully unaware of any argument. That may have resulted in that person arguing with the people at Ranworth and/or the boatyard. It would have soured their day and may even put them off returning.

That is exactly the approach that BA are relying on to milk the uninformed.

Fred

• Like 7

I wonder if the hire boatyards are informing their customers about the "new" charges being imposed at Ranworth and Reedham? I've just looked at the online skippers manual from HW and that hasn't been amended to show the two new places where charges are now in place! (Obviously don't know if the "hard copies" on board the boats have been amended).

Chris