Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

So is there a ranger assisting people to moor or are they just directing people on where to pay?  I still dont get how you can assist stern on mooring. By the time you are at a range to take the ropes, you are already basically in and have the time to get off and do it yourself.    Im curious as we only stern on moor in our marina as we dont like sardine situations.  All these years and its never been needed before. Has there been a health and safety incident thats triggered the need for this.  Sorry if these questions have already been answered somewhere else.

As has been said before there are no Rangers at Ranworth, the staff there have neither the training or authority of a Ranger, a very important distinction, if you are not sure ask to see their warrant or letter of authority

Fred

• Like 3

If a BA person assists me to moor, using a boathook, and that that BA person is an untrained volunteer,  should damage to my boat occur, to whom should I look to have such damage repaired. I would like Tom Waterfall to become involved with this discussion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

From the other thread: If £250 a day is going to be the norm, that'll mean it's a success and it'll be very difficult for a future administration to justify knocking the charges off again. 

Of cause we are assuming that everybody paid.

57 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If a BA person assists me to moor, using a boathook, and that that BA person is an untrained volunteer,  should damage to my boat occur, to whom should I look to have such damage repaired. I would like Tom Waterfall to become involved with this discussion. 

I did comment a couple of days ago that the BA have not been involved in any of the discussions regarding the mooring fees at Ranworth or Reedham and the toll rise.  They’ve obviously been reading the forum, because of input in other threads.

Perhaps the anger felt amongst the boating community is filtering through the hallowed halls of Yare House.

8 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

The option here is don`t visit the Information Office and don`t pay.

A  There is no penalty charge posted or enforceable for non payment of an unlawful charge.

B  As long as you don`t overstay the 24 hours there is no breach of the Byelaws.

C  This was the the basis on why the charge was rejected at Reedham previously which the BA are fullly aware of and still applies, 

In 1916 "Mr.William Mckenzie K.C. opined that the B.& F.R.D.C. could be considered as the owners BUT (and I quote): 

"It appears that charges or tolls can only be made where they have been customarily paid for a period of years, so as to show that the quays are not public quays." (Staithe)
It seems clear that if they are public quays, the public are entitled to use them free of charge. The council appears to have treated both quays as public ones.

D  The definition of a Staithe from the Broads Act 1988 section IV  which applies to all BA controlled moorings 

“staithe” means any land which is adjacent to a waterway and which the inhabitants of the locality are entitled to use as a landing place;.

Anyone who wants can print this and may if approached for payment use it, you could also point out that attempting to solicit payment could be deemed committing the offence of fraud by misrepresentation.

Fred

Would love to know what the response would be if somebody tries following this guidance .........?

I for one am already having 2nd thoughts on visiting Ranworth in the future due to these unreasonable additional fees, which is a real shame because the local businesses (well the pub!) will also be loosing out.

• Like 3

if I do pay I will insist on a receipt that has the wording upon it that should a legal challenge find that charging for moorings is unlawful, I will expect to receive a refund with backdated interest added.

(not that I moor at ranworth habitually, preferring the much quieter  option of mudweighting somewhere.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the care free cruising days where you would moor up, have a nice few hours in the villages and pubs, spending quite a bit of hard earned holiday money and the only thing you would make sure of is that you had some cash on board for the ice cream boat.

Happy days x

• Like 15

I am amazed that this thread has not yet attracted a comment from our friendly BA staff member.

I wonder if he has been instructed not to get involved !!!

I would be very interested to hear what would happen if 5 or 6 boats rafted up about 10 feet away from the staithe and stayed there for a few hours or even overnight. It would be easy enough to have 2 or 3 rafts of 2 or 3 boats.

I cannot remember ever seeing any signs stating that you cannot mudweight within a certain distance of land !!!!!

Jeff   

5 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I am amazed that this thread has not yet attracted a comment from our friendly BA staff member.

I would be very interested to hear what would happen if 5 or 6 boats rafted up about 10 feet away from the staithe and stayed there for a few hours or even overnight. It would be easy enough to have 2 or 3 rafts of 2 or 3 boats.

I cannot remember ever seeing any signs stating that you cannot mudweight within a certain distance of land !!!!!

Jeff   

But that would block the moorings, now that’s an idea. Wouldn’t it be great if that could be organised (informally, of course)…😎

23 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Jeff   

Don't think  tin hats have been issued yet!

Yee haa right way up😁

Spoke to a hire boater who was a bit surprised by the charge. He was a bit shocked when I told him he has been charged twice.😣

It had not occurred to him that he had already paid for it in his Hire fee 😥

Maybe this is why The BA representative has not contributed to this discussion. 😣

The reality is that all the goodwill that BA has built up by the first class attitude of the, on the ground staff, has been sacrificed by this blatant illegal money grab by the higher, I was going to say management but dictatorship is more appropriate 😣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Jeff   

We all need to remember that any member, no matter who they are or work for, are not obliged to post.

It is also the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Personally I feel for Tom, he must have one the hardest jobs in the world! Imagine having to try and put a positive spin on this stuff!

Of course, saying nothing can say a lot!

• Like 2

Let's get this straight from the start, I'm not in favour of this charge, do not support it and will not be paying it.

However, for those that are asking Tom to participate in this discussion on behalf of the BA, what are they expecting him to say? He's not going to agree with you even if he thought the charge was unfair personally! He can only state what we already know. The BA have introduced a charge, they have changed the signs, they "presumably" have done their legal homework, they are charging those who are prepared to pay. If he tries to defend the BA I'm sure there'll be lots of replies!, and why should he?

I appreciate Tom's input on various threads on this forum and the useful information he posts, but ask yourself what are you really expecting of him on this thread, other than a BA representative to vent your spleen on!! I don't blame him for keeping out of this one, as I don't see he how he can have anything useful to add that won't get people's back up.

This episode will pass one way or another and at some point in the future we'll all be glad to have some input to this forum from the BA.

By all means air your frustrations here, I'm sure if nothing else Tom will be feeding it back, but don't expect someone to put their head above the parapet to be a target for all and sundry.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

But that is what we , or should I say me ,or I want MT 

I want the PR man to report back to higher authority that some, or should I say most of us are outraged by this double charging for moorings on top of an inflation busting rise in Tolls.

An Authority that as you well know I have stood up for and trusted in the past has now betrayed that trust with this sickening money grab.

Best shut up before I get banished to the naughty step ..... again 😣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

But that is what we , or should I say me ,or I want MT

I'm sure that's what's happening, but getting involved in a discussion he's never going to win will only lead to those above pulling the plug on any participation in this forum.

• Like 4

The thing I struggle with is that we are asked to pay for volunteers and it is disrespectful to them. I think that all the volunteer rangers do a good job and are a valuable asset to the broads and our boating experience. They are keen and put in their hours free of charge, so profiteering from their efforts is scandalous. 

The guy from the shop cuts all the grass 

Anybody paid by the BA should earn their keep and not be subsidised by a cash cow..

I've had me rant.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Karizma said:

Would love to know what the response would be if somebody tries following this guidance .........?

No guarantee but most probably very little if anything, as a private owner you may get an email, failing that they would have to pay £35 to recover between £3 to £15 through the small claims court providing they could show a legitimate loss, as a hirer as there is no byelaw or criminal offence the hire company should not disclose your details under data protection and client confidentiality.

Fred

• Thanks 1