Richardson's Debranding?

catcouk

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It came in for the 2022 season and makes the boats look drab and anonymous in my view. Those familiar with Broads hire fleets know what the R on the bows means but the uninitiated would have no idea where the boat is hired from or even if it's hired at all. That makes no business sense to me.

I actually hate this everything grey trend but if it attracts tomorrow's bright young things then I can see the point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I actually hate this everything grey trend but if it attracts tomorrow's bright young things then I can see the point. 

I'm not convinced that it does, but I think it's attempt at making the orange bathtubs a bit less garish.

I have an orange bathtub booked in September so will be curious to see if it has been wrapped.

10 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Maybe I need to go to specsavers but all the new wrapping looks white to me.

2 hours ago, catcouk said:

Definitely off white if not grey!

Maybe it started white last season GarryN and is difficult to keep clean!

My dog likes the orange too. I’m sure he recognises his home down a line of moored boats. He seems to go and sit by the right one.

• Haha 1

Totally off topic but a little tale from my seagoing time.

Two of our sister ships were tied up alongside each other in Aberdeen.

The second mate off ship #1 returned on board after a night ashore to find a man sleeping in his bed in his cabin. A bit upset and turfed out the man from his bunk.😲

The man in berth #1 was most upset and was the second mate off ship#2 who then promptly skipped across to ship #2 and got into the bed in ship #2 's second mates cabin.

In the morning man #2 got up and went to make a coffee only to find the coffee maker was not where he expected it to be 😳

There are always subtle differences even in the closest of sister ships.

Yea you have already guessed it 2/0 #2 was turfed out of his bed by 2/0 #1 

I was Chief Mate or C/O on ship #1 but we had to swap places with ship #2 during the evening when everyone else was ashore and only me and the duty watch were on board #1 and likewise for #2. 😁

Ship happens 😲

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kpnut said:

Your'e right Broads01, if you don't know what the swirly R stands for, perhaps if you are a new hirer and are looking out for what you might hire the following year, you wouldn't know it's Richardsons unless you know of their existence. But that was the same before the rebranding as well.

True but further back in time Richardsons had a small oval sticker on the side of each boat with the Richardsons name. Barnes have their name, as do Herbert Woods, NBD, Ferry Marina and others, so I can't understand why Richardsons don't have theirs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

True but further back in time Richardsons had a small oval sticker on the side of each boat with the Richardsons name. Barnes have their name, as do Herbert Woods, NBD, Ferry Marina and others, so I can't understand why Richardsons don't have theirs.

Possibly makes it easier to debrand when they go on the market for sale.

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

True but further back in time Richardsons had a small oval sticker on the side of each boat with the Richardsons name.

You’re right. I do remember seeing them in photos. 

Slightly off topic, when Graham and I were camping in Voss, Norway on one of our first holidays together (around 1980 or so) a drunk Norwegian tried to get into our tent, mistaking it for his own. I was impressed that he wasn’t drunk enough to forget how to say sorry in English! Also impressed that he managed to get drunk despite how expensive the beer was. I think it was the equivalent of around £2.50 for a half litre. That was completely extortionate for that time when a British pint was around 50p.

Helen, I too have encountered people managing to get drunk in Voss (me?) Happy memories of the campsite, both in the summer and in February when I was skint and could only go skiing if I firstly camped and secondly, helped fit people out for skis and boots in the ski hire shop at the top of the cable car. Went over by ferry from Newcastle, sleeping in the corridor floor on a karrimat! And I remember the icicles hanging from the ridge of the tent every morning. Fun days. 

My admiration know no bounds. Camping in Voss in the winter! We were there in September. Graham and I camped at the foot of Snowdon in March one weekend and we were so cold we couldn’t sleep, despite having decent sleeping bags, karrimats and wearing several layers.

Edited to add…no wonder you were skint if you managed to get drunk in Voss. :default_coat:

• Haha 1

Someone suggested the boats were totally wrapped but, as we left, I noticed this tell tale sign of paint...

Whilst back at the yard, I did ask our yard crew member about the change. He said he didn't know but had assumed it was to do with selling. However, he did say many of the boats had had something on the hull refreshed (I can't remember what he said) which he didn't think made much sense if they were to be sold. I'll have to ask those in power...

IMG_20230408_081713.jpg

• Sad 1

On 07/04/2023 at 20:43, YnysMon said:

no wonder you were skint if you managed to get drunk in Voss. 

Not me paying. I got in with a crowd who were somehow determined it was going to happen. Usually I know when to stop. Didn’t help I’d been cross country skiing all day and had had no tea before heading out. Oops. 

• Like 1