Cornwall 2023

Mouldy

Following a fairly lengthy journey on Monday, the plan for Tuesday was to do a bit of food shopping and relax.  After a fairly leisurely start to the day, we drove into Helston for Lidl’s and I was despatched to get necessary groceries, complete with a comprehensive list as supplied by the wife - dinners x 3, puddings x 3, crisps and biscuits!

She sat in the car with the dog, whilst I went in.  Fortunately, it seems most Lidl stores are laid out similarly inside, so I had a clue where to look.  Feeling slightly smug, having bought everything on the list and without spending a fortune, I returned to the car.  ‘Did you remember the water?’ said Deb.  ‘Was it on the list?’ I replied.  I didn’t go back on for it, as we don’t really need it, to be fair.

We bought a couple of pasties for lunch, on our way back to the accommodation and ate them on the decking, looking out over the sea, in glorious sunshine.

A bit later, we drove the short distance to Poldhu Cove, somewhere I have many happy childhood memories of, having been for several family holidays in the area so many years ago.  It remains totally unspoilt, with just a cafe on the beach and toilets nearby.  This year, the usual dog ban on several beaches has been modified, so dogs can go on the beach all year, with a ban in force only between 10:00 and 18:00 during July and August.  Most civilised.

With the car parked (free after 16:00, how refreshing), we wandered over to the beach and Harley enjoyed herself, splashing around in the sea.  When she’d had enough, we drove back to the holiday park, parked the car, I put a chicken in the oven to cook for dinner and we went to the terrace for a refreshing, cooling beverage.

We had the chicken with salad and some Jersey Royals for dinner, before retiring quite early.IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.c42c333ef8335afe8bfb6d18233409b1.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hazelgirl said:

So jealous, I've always wanted to go to Cornwall, living in Manchester it's a bit of a hike. Beautiful pictures and going to make sure we visit in the next year or two.

It’s a lovely area, especially around here and well worth the effort to visit.   We tend to keep away from the tourist ‘hotspots’ like Newquay and Padstow.  Nothing wrong with them , but they do tend to pull people in through reputation.  It’s very unspoilt around here, no bingo, amusement arcades and funfairs, just how we like it!

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We tend to keep away from the tourist ‘hotspots’ like Newquay and Padstow.

Can understand why it was absolutely heaving spring bank holiday 

quiet this week though sea fog heavy yesterday and again today

IMG_1805.jpeg

• Like 4

That Madri stuff is everywhere 

The marketing looks like it's from Spain but the spanish have never heard of it.

Good bit of marketing /rebrand from Coors/ miller brewery as their Carling wasn't doing too well and get away with chargeing an extra £1 a pint! 

Sorry just saying, enjoy your holiday you've picked a good week 😀

7 hours ago, hazelgirl said:

So jealous, I've always wanted to go to Cornwall, living in Manchester it's a bit of a hike. Beautiful pictures and going to make sure we visit in the next year or two.

I've lived in Manchester all my life and am lucky that my parents (usually with extended family) took me to Cornwall in the early 60s and I have been going back regularly since. This post made me realise that I haven't been for about four years so will look at going for a couple of weeks next year.

I love all of Cornwall (and Devon) but St Ives is probably my favourite; I've been to St Ives in May, June, August and September and even January and February - in both of the latter I have had days when I could walk around in a light jacket.

It's too far for me to drive these days (as I head for 80) so last time we broke our journey down, at a lovely Premier Inn (called Bristol Sidcot) at Winscombe on the A38, inland from Weston-Super-Mare. There are plenty of similar hotels north of Bristol for the return journey.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jbx5 said:

That Madri stuff is everywhere 

The marketing looks like it's from Spain but the spanish have never heard of it. . . . . . .

To be honest, the wife couldn’t care less where it comes from - she likes it and after 42 years of marriage, I know when to keep it shut!  At least it’s not Fosters! :default_eusa_dance:

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

. . . . . . . Mouldy but please stop posting pics of lovely cold beer, it's leading me into temptation and it's a school night :default_biggrin: x

Okay Gracie, no beer pictures tonight!

IMG_0240.thumb.jpeg.34a0103fab7b408154edd0890d1ca26b.jpeg

Couldn’t resist.  Sorry!  😉😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We were in St Ives this week last year, had a really gteat holiday,the best bit was a day trip to the scilly isles,what a wonderful place, a must visit for anyone.My parents used to take us on holiday either to Cornwall or the Broads, or if my Dad had a good year BOTH!Have a great time Malcolm.       Kevin:27_sunglasses:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, addicted said:

I've visited Cornwall a few times over the years.  It's very beautiful and its coastline always reminds me very much of Jersey another place I've visited a few times,

Carole

Were of to Jersey in August, 2nd visit,Its stunning.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

I like the west facing beaches north of Newquay up to Trevose, great with an easterly breeze and opposing tide, Atlantic barrels, the waves literally pick you up and blast you back at pace. Norfolk would always be my first choice abode but Cornwall second place for shore. If you like camping recommend Sandra’s site, think it’s fittingly called Atlantic view.

Enjoy Mouldy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Grandparents lived in Falmouth when I was growing up. Many, many great holidays and memories down there. The nights spent at The Pandora Inn, the lunches at The Ferry Boat Inn on the Helford river, the pitch and putt at Swanpool, all great times.

• Like 1

We woke to another sunny morning.  Having been to Cornwall so many times in the past, there is no longer the urgency to go sightseeing, but with one of the local beauty spots only five miles away, we decided to make the short journey to Kynance Cove in the car, for a visit.

We arrived just after 10:00.  The site is run by the National Trust and there were a few of their people there ensuring that cars were being parked in regimented rows on the field.  It was already busy, so paid the parking fee (£5 for 4 hours) and walked down the fairly steep path to the cove.

I’m sure I must have been here before, but if I had, I couldn’t remember it.  What a place?  Beautiful, clear sea, dramatic cliffs and  a golden, sandy beach.  Just glorious!  Again, dogs were allowed on the beach, with just restrictions in place through the day during July and August.  It seems Cornwall has recognised that tourism is important and welcoming dog owners helps to boost their trade.

Harley had her paddle and we mooched around for a while, before heading up to the cafe for a coffee.  The tide was coming in, restricting beach access, so we headed back to the car, using the ‘easy’ route, with less steps.  The field where our car was parked was really busy, so it was clear that there was a real need for the parking assistants.

We went back to our accommodation for lunch and sat on the decking, enjoying the peace and the view until later in the afternoon, when we wandered down to the local beach.  The tide was just beginning to ebb, but Harley enjoyed another paddle, before we wandered back up the hill to the terrace for a well deserved beer.

We had a quiche with salad for dinner and spent a quiet evening, before retiring quite early. 

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

• Like 8

Great photos as usual Malcolm, it's so many year since I visited Cornwall, we must go back.

We stayed in Boscastle at the top of a path so steep that by the time you got back up to the hotel you were sober however you had spent the evening 🙂

They suffered a terrible flood disaster sometime later so we saw some of it before it was lost forever 🙁

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

We stayed in Boscastle at the top of a path so steep that by the time you got back up to the hotel you were sober however you had spent the evening 🙂

They suffered a terrible flood disaster sometime later so we saw some of it before it was lost forever 🙁

Just photos with my phone, Ray.  I need to download the ones off my camera at home and convert them to a format the Forum understands!

I remember the disaster at Boscastle.  Devastating flooding that altered parts of the village forever.

• Like 1

Yesterday saw us up bright and early.  I wanted to take my drone to the beach and get a few photos.  There are two airfields nearby, RNAS Culdrose and Predennack, so a lot of flying restrictions exist in the area.  We walked down to the beach around 08:30.  The tide was out , so whilst Deb wandered about on the beach, I went up onto the headland between the east and west beaches, prepped a drone and sent it up.

When I’d taken a few shots, I landed it and packed it away, before descending to the beach to find the wife and Harley.  We had a lengthy chat to a couple of fellow dog walkers before heading back to the van.

I fancied a cooked breakfast, so ambled to the site shop for bacon and mushrooms, having already got some fresh tomatoes and eggs.  By the time it was ready, it was more brunch than breakfast, but it was a welcome change from toast.

The rest of the day was spent on site, it was hot and and sunny.  Neither of us wanted to venture out, so I read and did a couple of crosswords while Deb knitted.  Talk about Darby and Joan! 😁

We wandered down to the bar for a refreshing beverage later, before cooking a couple of steaks with salad and jacket potatoes for dinner.  Not wishing to become dehydrated in the heat, we both had a couple of glasses of wine to wash it all down.

The weather forecast for the remainder of out holiday was less favourable, with some precipitation predicted for Friday afternoon.  I can only hope that it’s as accurate as usual - we’ll have to wait and see.

IMG_0244.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_082414_550_1686813868849_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_082518_552_1686813939669_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083022_558_1686814236061_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083158_560_1686814333042_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083238_561_1686814372602_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083328_562_1686814421888_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083518_564_1686814531481_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083538_565_1686814551751_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083740_567_1686814681581_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20230615_083918_569_1686814776688_photo.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg