Womack Bakery

BrundallNavy

12 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

The BA have given the bakery at Womack notice it must close due to breaching planning regulations. Such a shame as they make very tasty bread and cakes. 

Wouldn’t it be good if the BA addressed matters that impact navigation, like loss of moorings, instead of flexing their muscles over small businesses around The Broads?

• Like 3

As always we may not know the full story. It is after all the job of the BA as planning authority to deal with planning breaches. It won't be the first time planning authorities have closed down a small business as it breaches planning controls - where do you draw the line? Perhaps someone has complained and they then have little choice but to act?

Its perhaps the regulation that is wrong, not the BA necessarily.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

The bakery has been seeking planning permission for some time through the proper channels, only the BA know why they refuse reasonable requests that threaten nothing and allow others to abuse the system including themselves at How Hill.

Fred

Could it be that the property only has holiday let approval. 

3 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Could it be that the property only has holiday let approval. 

All the more relevant when you consider the current applicant was also the one who applied for the holiday lets to be built back in 1997 and therefore can hardly claim not to know about any such restrictions applied to the property.

There will be many sides to this. On the one hand there will be the people who will be upset because they enjoy popping along there and buying the products whilst on holiday and will consider it a quaint cottage industry.

Then there will be the BA bashers who will claim they have better things to do. Well guess what, one of those better things is as the local planning authority.

Then there maybe the local residents who have suddenly found their quiet residential holiday village area has become a lot busier with extra traffic and people queuing in the road to purchase the products.

Then there is the consideration that a planning application has been made, considered and turned down. There is a process to appeal that, but to just ignore it and carry on trading anyway is not the correct way. If every applicant that had an application turned down, just went ahead anyway, what would be the point of a planning system.

Finally there are two established retail areas already. The main village with convenience store and butchers and the stores at the staithe itself. These have planning permission to retail goods and should be protected from unauthorised traders. 

Would it not be possible for the bakery to continue baking, but to offer it's goods for sale through any of the already established retailers in Ludham. 

• Like 2

Fred - I wonder whose side you are on in respect of the pub that was demolished? Sadly there is no point in having rules, whether you agree with them or not, that can be ignored just because you disagree with them, or it doesn't suit you.

As Griff has said, use the other stores in the village - after all I expect they pay business rates. Help them out and everyone will be a bit happier I guess - if as a result you make less profit, at least you are helping someone else and who knows you may sell more  of your products!!

• Like 1

Marshman I am not on anyones side and havnt said this should or should not be allowed, my feelings are based on wanting to see a level playing field, having witnessed the BA allowing itself to be bullied into granting retrospective planning permission on more than one occasion where money has power it seems the little man is an easy target whether justified or not.

Fred

• Like 1

Funny how suddenly more information makes the opening post more questionable. 

Now I have a selection of questions. Firstly, agreeing that planning rules need to be adhered to,  should the BA be a planning authority?

Second, if the BA has responsibility for navigation within it's boundaries,  and a navigation is not at all navigable,  what is the BAs responsibility for that navigation?

And yes, I do have reason for asking.  :-)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Funny how suddenly more information makes the opening post more questionable. 

Now I have a selection of questions. Firstly, agreeing that planning rules need to be adhered to,  should the BA be a planning authority?

Second, if the BA has responsibility for navigation within it's boundaries,  and a navigation is not at all navigable,  what is the BAs responsibility for that navigation?

And yes, I do have reason for asking.  :-)

It isn't just the BA that refused the planning application but also the parish council, unfortunately where a property borders a stretch of navigable water it also has a say. 

Yes I would expect the BA to keep all water navigable as long as there is a history of it. 

26 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

It isn't just the BA that refused the planning application but also the parish council, unfortunately where a property borders a stretch of navigable water it also has a say. 

That's not strictly true. The BA is the sole planning authority for that property. It makes planning decisions based upon the national planning framework. 

It must consult with and take into consideration the opinions of various local authorities, parish council, in some cases county council, highways and other stakeholders.

The parish council when consulted objected to the planning application, but the BA only has to consider that along with any other objections, recommendations and comments received from neighboring properties. The ultimate decision lies with the planning authority, which is the BA. It can over rule objections received on the basis it wouldn't be able to defend the decision based upon the planning framework and guidelines they have to work to.

1 minute ago, Lulu said:

Bit confused (doesnt take a lot!) why are the BA involved with that property regarding planning?  

Because the BA are the local planning authority for the Broads Authority executive area, which overlaps with many other local council and parish councils as well as East Suffolk, North Norfolk and Broadland District Council.

• Thanks 1

I wonder, if the BA wanted to create an information centre (or converted telephone box) would the planning application be approved with or without any objections?

Or would the change be made and planning be approved afterwards ( if it ever went to the point that approval was needed)?

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I'm  certain BA would have to submit  a planning application. 

Seek and yee shall find :default_biggrin:

https://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/PublicAccessDocs/planningDocs.aspx?doc=/sites/planning/2022/Documents/Development Control/BA20220033FUL/ba_2022_0033_ful_-__the_quay__the_street__thurne_-_change_of_use_of_telephone_box__to_mini_tourist_information_centre.pdf

There's a host of other documents associated with this subject but I thought this might be the best one to show?

Chris