Emission From Boats

Andrewcook

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I don't think he is following policy, he is trying to raise revenue to prop up TFL (Transport for London) that is bankrupt due to substantial costs and not enough users, IMHO 

well enclosing all the access points to the TFL network within the ulez zone isnt going to help that, it will just stop people outside of london from visiting, if I do have to go int london now, there is nowhere I can park outside and use the transport system to get in, if i am going to have to pay a ulez charge, I might as well drive all the way to my destination in central london, sort of doubly defeats the object really

• Like 2

electric bikes work, mine can theoretically do 60-80 miles on a charge unfortunately my rear end cant do 60 miles, and they can be plugged into a standard socket and recharged, I have decided that any trip under 10 miles can easily be achieved on the bike, but still need a diesel car for all the longer trips, I am lucky that I am allowed to work from home- 124 miles a day in an electric vehicle wouldnt be sustainable on the current infrastructure at either end, and you certainly wont find me stopping anywhere in the middle for hours just to charge the car.

in fact most of my car journeys (over the 10 mile ones) are distances I would not want to cycle, the 30 miles to take my parents shopping once a fortnight, trips to the office- trips to the broads.

if you have access to charging infrastructure then electric vehicles make sense for round town commuting / shopping etc. not so for longer trips.

3 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I would be more likely to believe in net zero if I could see more new buildings with solar panels…😎

It beggars belief to me the new builds should a car charger but no requirement for solar, even if not south facing they can still do fairly well.

Admittedly we did really well with ours as the fit rate was halving so installation costs dropped to make them viable, in between signing and fitting the government got forced to backtrack and we got the full fit tariff for the cheaper install, the salesman said if we were lucky it would take them a few months to change the meter from the spinny disc type, 11 years on we still have the old meter.

Whenever you see discussions online about EV's you see a kind of verbal fight between those who say they will not get one and those who sing their praises. The fact is it is not about choice, as things stand the Government has said new piston powered cars are stopping being sold in the UK come 2030. Now why this has a lot to do with boats is because almsot all marine engines are based on other engines - especially those in small cabin cruisers like we have on the Broads.

Some of these 'base engines' might be used in construction plant, or maybe vans/SUV's - it is not really important, what is when things begin to change globally more and so far it is looking like EV's really are the way to go - especially now China has upped their game producing not only the cars from scratch, but batteries too.

You already are seeing some small site plant go to electric, and I can see this increase in time too - so if more vehicles and plant move over to electric, just where are the base engines to be marinised going to come from? So it might be 50 years in the making, but one day it won't be viable to just get a Nanni/Beta/Volvo diesel engine to bung into a boat. So I say yes, one day things will go electric but it might not be anything to do with the wishes of the Broads Authority, just market changes and a global push to wean off piston power that does it.

• Like 1

You could be right - We on 'B.A' are as safe as houses though )as long as we keep up with regular maintenance). Our 50hp Beta from new at installation is expected to accomplish 30'000 x Hrs before it requires replacing.  That'll see us out and no doubt many owners after us too

Our Q5 - Currently five years old has 20:5k miles on it - That'll see out our driving days out too

GriffTile van 70k miles - That'll be sold when / if I retire so that'll see to me to retirement easily

Z3 - 74k miles - Its a toy no more that 2000 miles per year so that'll last me out too

Mighty Tiger - 30k miles will be fine until I'm too old to ride it, then my boy will have it

Dutton Phaeton - Need to invest some brass in it and get it sold

Honda 400-4,  a restoration project for when I retire - Then I'll sell it on

Griff

• Like 1

Hi, The Dutton indeed does have a Pinto engine. 2Ltr overhead cam.

It was originally in a mates transit van.  He 'Worked' on it somewhat, blueprinted, tuftridden, Power max pistons, fast road/race cam, bigger inlet & exhaust valves etc.

I bought the engine after it had done only 10'00 miles. (He put a Rover V8 in the van)  The Engine is married to a Ford Capri 5 x speed box, with runs through a RS2000 live back axle.  Mexico brakes up front, RS 2000 rears.  Needless to say it is somewhat lively with the Phaeton not weighing much at all

Griff

Dutton #01.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Didn't the 2.0L Capri have it too ?

It did indeed. A friend of mine had one cammed and ported, running twin 45 Dellortos, plus an LSD from the 2.8i. Was a pretty fun car to drive - mostly sideways!

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Most crapi's (no not a typo) needed a couple of large paving slaps in the boot to get them round corners, they were just too long with no weight over the drive wheels. 

Classic case of form over function in the design room.

Not as bad as the Corsair. I know of three that were rolled, all parents 2000E models. 

I had a 2.0 S Capri which was very tail happy. I loved it. They were brilliant GT cars but poor around corners. It was before front wheel drive took over as the main form of propulsion. But never never Crapi.

My toy car is a Norfolk built sports car that some of you may have heard of. Now owned by the Chinese, unfortunately. 

20200422_145930.jpg

• Like 2