New Owner

Hi all as the title suggests my wife and I are new boat owners

shes a discovery 33 and needs work which we are happy to do, brought her as a holiday home project.

now of course the fun begins.

first thing we need to do is install a loo and tank this is where we are hoping you guys might be able to help.

only a porta potty at the moment and that’s definitely not going to work 

would you be able to point us toward someone or a company that could do a full fit??

any help or advice would be very much appreciated 

Martin and becks

Hi Martin & Becks. Welcome to the Forum. Your fellow forum members, between them, have a tremendous amount of knowledge and I am sure they will be only to pleased to help you along the way. Where is the boat currently moored or is it currently on a hard standing? Northern or Southern rivers. 

• Like 1

Hi, to you both,

When you say you need fo fit "loo & tank" does this mean she is a Banham Discovery 33, sailing river cruiser? 

Maybe there’s a space where a holding tank used to be, or maybe the holding tank is still there, just not plumbed up? 

Welcome and good luck, busy busy from now on!

Hi guys 

she’s a Lytton 33 not sure of exact date between 70-75.

been a challenge to find out exactly what date lol

unfortunately she has always had a porta potty 

we are currently moored at ting and dene in Brundall 

We have found space for a tank, not a job I would be comfortable with so definitely have a professional put it in.

thus far just been lots of cleaning on the inside to make her comfortable 

slowly slowly 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, we all love a good project!

If you’re in Brundall have a word with Paul at Swancraft.  They can handle pretty much anything boat related.

Modern toilets use more water than the older types so this is a good opportunity to increase the holding tank size.  Most Lytton or Discovery 33’s had 2 toilets but I suppose it depends on how much of a project it is.

If you have the Broads reg number try searching for it here, may give some history on your boat.

http://norfolk.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Search_the_Database

• Like 2

Thank you Spray

can confirm she is a 1975 and was originally yellow

dont think we will be doing that

definitely looking into all options cheesey

has anyone else converted to a composting loo, if so any advice?

6 minutes ago, Mwmartin said:

I think they’re getting quite popular on the canal network. A read of some of the canal forums might shed some light. I did see someone mention a toilet that you press a valve for one way for a wee and another for solids. Ok if you do things separately!

• Haha 1

If you are interested in a composting toilet I recommend you watch the a video from the channel Minimal List. Michael and Jo are a couple who have lived on the canal for several years, and made videos of their travels around the whole (linked) canals and rivers network. They had replaced a cassette toilet with a composting toilet ages ago, but changed it for a new one last year. The new one is a new design which they think is a big improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mwmartin said:

Have had a composting loo for a few years and can't really fault it. Made by Separett (think the model is called 'villa'or 'vista', something like that) it's been easy to look after and only requires a few milliamps to run its internal fan. 

Simploo waterless toilets are also worth looking at, with built in fans to eliminate odour and a warning alarm when it needs emptying.

Incinerator toilets are probably the nicest option, but really expensive.

8 hours ago, dom said:

Simploo waterless toilets are also worth looking at, with built in fans to eliminate odour and a warning alarm when it needs emptying.

Incinerator toilets are probably the nicest option, but really expensive.

beware the incinerator toilets, I have seen a video of one couple who had nothing but problems with one- and that was a static installation in an off grid home.

Thanks guys

after getting a couple of quotes for a full install, tank ect was also quoted for a straight to sea 

wife and I don’t like that idea

think we are going to give the compost loo a go