Winter Is Back

I have 4 layers on my top half this morning, (5 including a waterproof when I summon up the enthusiasm to take the dog out), 3 of them proper winter weather fleece. 

Still managing in shorts though. If the posties can, do can I. 

• Haha 6

I agree with you Monica. Thoroughly cold, grey, and nothing like summer, which June most definitely should be in my book. Imagine the misery of having saved hard and looked forward to your holiday only to arrive in this. We have a yellow weather warning for wind across the region … I would not want to be taking over a boat for the first time ever today. 💨 🛥️

• Like 3

All this cold weather is my fault...I packed too many clothes anticipating summer for this trip and not enough warm clothing.

:default_badday:

Luckily, I found a pair of warm jersey yoga pants in Sainsbury's when we were doing our food shop, reduced 75%. Otherwise I would be frozen. 

We put the webasto on as we were cruising this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, let’s be positive, for a moment!  There shouldn’t be a water shortage this year.  I don’t want to hear about hose pipe bans either.  Maybe we’re entering a period of ‘global wetting.’

The BBC forecast doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence of any improvement in the near future either, as you can see.

Screenshot2024-06-10at11_26_30.thumb.jpeg.11776a404ad1dbb48bc6048ca24a4aad.jpeg

At least it’s getting warmer . . . . . . . . . . just!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

There's only one solution moor up to a pub on the Broads that has an open Log Fire and have a few Drinks to cheer you all Boater's up As I'm at home heaving the Heating on in Flaming June.

Yes,  but they haven’t lit those fires because it’s ‘summer’. :default_huh:

• Like 1

I find the BBC weather app one of the worst for getting it right - if you see what I mean!!!

Ever since they sacked the Met Office because they always seemed to get it wrong, the situation has reversed!  Meteo Group who supply the BBC are obsessed with putting rain on almost every forecast whilst the Met Office seems to be better short term - and lets face it, short term is always going to be more accurate!

As far as temperatures are concerned, I am afraid Norfolk is impacted heavily by the sea which almost surrounds us. Currently the sea is around 13C and with the wind in the NW and little or no sun, thats going to be our maximum - sunshine is needed and it might be on its way - perhaps not this week but look a bit further out and possibly some warmer weather may be wafting our way.

Please don't shoot me if I am wrong but it could just happen!! :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

All this cold weather is my fault...I packed too many clothes anticipating summer for this trip and not enough warm clothing.

:default_badday:

We put the webasto on as we were cruising this morning. 

Now we know who to blame.   Yes heating on here too but just dont tell the Management, what the eye doesnt see it doesnt grieve over.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

I agree with you Monica. Thoroughly cold, grey, and nothing like summer, which June most definitely should be in my book. Imagine the misery of having saved hard and looked forward to your holiday only to arrive in this. We have a yellow weather warning for wind across the region … I would not want to be taking over a boat for the first time ever today. 💨 🛥️

My thoughts exactly Jean as we drove to Morrisons this morning, the roads were all flooded and it was so cold, the car all steamed up.       It must be horrendous for a new comer with this windy blowing , and as you say they have saved hard all year and nature dishes you up this.    No wonder people go abroad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kpnut said:

I have 4 layers on my top half this morning, (5 including a waterproof when I summon up the enthusiasm to take the dog out), 3 of them proper winter weather fleece. 

Still managing in shorts though. If the posties can, do can I. 

Why do posties wear shorts. It's bizarre.

Me in me thermals ,  and those poncing about in shorts.

In mid winter. It beggars believe. 

What statement is being made ?

Or is it me being a wimp.

Or is it an ageism thing. 

To be recognised. Identified.

Not for me. Cosy, warm. Whatever the weather.  Oh! Do not forget a hat. You must cover your head. From heat, from the sun, and from the cold......but I guess you know all that.

Finally, I have witnessed severe weather in Norfolk. In mid winter, with gun and dog, ice on the barrels, Dawn breaking for the morning flight. On a marsh. In the middle of the Norfolk Broads. 

Forgive me for not wearing shorts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

After winter this morning, it’s trying to be summer again this afternoon in Horning. 

On the staithe perchance?

We are on our home mooring again…it’s just too handy. Dogs had a nice walk late afternoon/early evening in the sunshine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wussername said:

Why do posties wear shorts. It's bizarre. 

I'm not a shorts wearer myself (and not a postie), but I imagine they might originally have had trousers as part of their uniform and after enough dog-chasing-the-postie incidents it was decided to just go with shorts to save on lower-leg-fabric replacement costs.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, William92 said:

I'm not a shorts wearer myself (and not a postie), but I imagine they might originally have had trousers as part of their uniform and after enough dog-chasing-the-postie incidents it was decided to just go with shorts to save on lower-leg-fabric replacement costs.

What about leg replacement costs? :default_coat:

Im only partly joking. Graham worked as a temporary Christmas postie for a few years. One day he came home with damaged fingers. Posties learn sooner or later not to stick their fingers into a letterbox. It’s not the dogs that bark that are the problem, it’s the silent but deadly ones. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It’s not the dogs that bark that are the problem, it’s the silent but deadly ones. 

Sometimes even the letterbox itself bites, with their ultra strong springs. 

• Like 2