The Return Of The Kiwis

Well we are finally making it back to our favourite place. Tomorrow Lyn and I pick up Swan Romance from Richardsons for which will be the start of 3 glorious weeks. Our last visit was in 2022 for our 50th wedding anniversary. That was somewhat blighted by the loss of my luggage (which incidentally turned up 6 weeks after we got back home in New Zealand) and both of us isolating on the boat on our anniversary as we were down with the dreaded Covid. It can't happen again, can it??

Anyroadup, the weather seems to be obliging (at last) so all we need now is for the fish to be biting and the river level being low enough for the boat to pass through Wroxham bridge. If you see us, give us a wave.

Cheers, Chris

• Like 18
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, grounded said:

Well we are finally making it back to our favourite place. Tomorrow Lyn and I pick up Swan Romance from Richardsons for which will be the start of 3 glorious weeks. Our last visit was in 2022 for our 50th wedding anniversary. That was somewhat blighted by the loss of my luggage (which incidentally turned up 6 weeks after we got back home in New Zealand) and both of us isolating on the boat on our anniversary as we were down with the dreaded Covid. It can't happen again, can it??

Anyroadup, the weather seems to be obliging (at last) so all we need now is for the fish to be biting and the river level being low enough for the boat to pass through Wroxham bridge. If you see us, give us a wave.

Cheers, Chris

Good luck with Wroxham bridge but at 7 feet air draft you'll have to be lucky. :default_smiley-char054:

• Like 2

Have a great time

7ft airdraft at PHB let alone Wroxham used to be easily accomplished years ago.  Nowadays though even Wroxham is becoming rare at 7ft.  You have the lack of maintenance on the lower Bure to thank for that one and its only going to get worse

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, grounded said:

Cheers, Chris

Our last visit was 2022, and it was on Swan Romance, enjoy. :-)

• Like 1

Well we have been here a few days now and are settling back into the Broads pace of life. The boat has been a bit of a wake up call as we had become used to the space on Rapture and Radiance. We had forgotten just how tiny the loos and showers are. Oh well.

What has been a surprise is how many "wild moorings" on the upper Ant are now semi-permanently occupied. Cuts down the fishing options. Cant complain about the weather though. Beautiful.

Just had the steak and guinness pie at the Acle Bridge Inn. First rate. 

Chris

• Like 10

1 hour ago, grounded said:

What has been a surprise is how many "wild moorings" on the upper Ant are now semi-permanently occupied.

This is something which has been discussed quite a bit on here - but it's notable that visitors are increasingly noticing and being inconvenienced by it. I'd suggest that BA need to be getting to grips with it where the boats are unlicensed, but things are obviously more complex when tolls are paid and it probably needs land owners involvement too.

Hope the current weather continues and you enjoy the rest of your lovely long break.

• Like 1

Wild moorings took up are not inconveniencing anyone as they are not part of what is being paid for and have no time limits by their very nature.

It may be annoying but no one actually has the right to moor there except the landowner and is nothing to do with BA (unless no toll/bss/insurance).

BA or parish moorings are another matter entirely.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Wild moorings took up are not inconveniencing anyone as they are not part of what is being paid for and have no time limits by their very nature.

I think you'd find most long term occupiers probably fall within the remit of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994.

It's also self-evident that they are inconveniencing both holidaymakers and even some people on here, who have commented on the difficulty mooring in that part of the network (made worse by issues at Sutton). There are also numerous associated issues, such as dumping of waste, fires, etc.

• Like 1

The legality of the boat and behaviour can be an issue with some (far from all) but you still can't be hogging a non time limited non public mooring. 

A "wild mooring" is not an official mooring it's just a piece of privately owned bank so only the landowner can decide who has been there too long, it's not for anyone else to judge.

I did say boat legality is another issue as is flytipping, but cutting back vegetation and trimming grass on private land could also be classed as criminal damage if the landowner saw it that way.

• Like 3

Sorry, i seem to have unintentionally started something with what was an observation, not judgement.

We are enjoying the weather and the camararderie of Broads holidaymakers, which never seems to change, i am very happy to say.

We are enjoying the very excellent pub food too! Now at Womack, Neatished tomorrow.

Chris

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, grounded said:

Sorry, i seem to have unintentionally started something with what was an observation, not judgement.

No need to apologise - it's your holiday and your thread. As CambridgeCabby says, it shouldn't turn into a debate about something which has been done to death on other threads over last winter.

25 minutes ago, grounded said:

We are enjoying the very excellent pub food too! Now at Womack, Neatished tomorrow.

Kings Arms for dinner this evening?

• Like 3

The White Horse was very good last time we were there. If you like peanuts ask them for some that will keep you busy for a while :default_biggrin:. Enjoy the rest of your trip 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Edited by MargeandParge
Spelling
  • Like 2

The carvery at the Kings Arms was every bit as good as we remembered, and the beer was excellent. Now at the White Horse for dinner. The Farrier is very good.

The fishing is not so good so far this year. Is that the salt surge effect, or just me being older, slower, and out of practice?

Chris

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, grounded said:

The fishing is not so good so far this year. Is that the salt surge effect, or just me being older, slower, and out of practice?

There's still a huge excess of water around, which is struggling to drain out to sea, so I'd imagine salt incursion is probably lower than normal of late.

The season has only just opened and the start of the year was very cold and dull. Might be late spawning putting the fish off feeding?

• Like 1

I have fpund excellent fishing, and food, at Ranworth staithe and Coltishall common. Managed a few specimen bream off the railway moorings at Wroxham. Now at the Fur and Feathers, moored on Salhouse Broad, where so far the fishing is slow, though the pike which swallowed the roach i caught may have had something to do with that. I did land the pike too!

We had our 52nd anniversary dinner at the Rising Sun and it was excellent. Just hoping for weather a little less like a New Zealand Winter!

Chris

• Like 7

A very Happy wedding anniversary to you both :default_icon_luvlove:

I'm pleased the fishing has picked up for you. I've never had much luck at Salhouse either. If, on your travels you manage to moor at Herbert Woods, I've had some quality Perch and nice size Roach in the basin 

Enjoy the rest of your trip

Grace x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grounded said:

We had our 52nd anniversary dinner at the Rising Sun and it was excellent. Just hoping for weather a little less like a New Zealand Winter!

Many congratulations. That IS a long time! 

I too am hoping for something more akin to some warm sunshine from Friday at least, so will extend my wish to tomorrow too for you both. 

I’ll keep an eye out for you on Swan Romance. 

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary! 
The weather this summer is crazy. We were on the Broads the first two weeks of June. The second week was ridiculous. Cold and very wet, never seen so much rain in Norfolk even in winter. Once we got home we had a heatwave. Now we have winter again.

:facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We are back at Thurne dyke, via Fleet dyke and Potter Higham. The rivers appear quieter this year, less hire boats and more available moorings. We have noticed a number of the riverside paths are overgrown and blocked wth nettles which has been a source of some frustration for the memsahib.

Fishing has improved. The Farrier ale is magnificent. One week left, i cant believe time has flown so fast, at 3mph.

Chris

• Like 4

Is that not the problem with the Broads, days pass slowly, weeks disappear quickly.

All you remember is the lost (3) week and where did it go, but the days you can recall and what you did!

paul

• Like 4