Reedham & Beccles

Hi - I would like peoples recommendations please on places to eat in both Reedham and Beccles. One of them will be on a Sunday so any stories of good roasts will also go down well....... :default_biggrin: Thanks

For reedham on a Sunday evening would have to be the ship as the Nelson closes early,  food is good in the ship so not an issue. 

Not sure about beccles. 

If you stop at burgh castle instead the queen's head does a cracking carvery on a Sunday afternoon but it's a fair walk.

• Like 3

Agree about the Ship, good pub and one of the few that don't boot you out early. 

For beer in Beccles you can't beat the Caxton Club, Butchers and possibly Ingate. For grub a local restaurant might be a better bet? 

• Like 3

I can recommend getting a takeaway from the fish and chip shop in Reedham if you happen to be there when it’s open. Lunch at the post office tea room was also very good. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SwanR said:

I can recommend getting a takeaway from the fish and chip shop in Reedham if you happen to be there when it’s open. Lunch at the post office tea room was also very good. 

Make sure fresh fish hubby caught out fish really old and not nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure if they do still have it on the menu but at The Priory they did serve Halibut with prawns in a cheese sauce with a side of chips (enough to feed an army) and peas and I defy anyone to move after that lot.   It was a meal you had once a year but out of this world.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hylander said:

Not sure if they do still have it on the menu but at The Priory they did serve Halibut with prawns in a cheese sauce with a side of chips (enough to feed an army) and peas and I defy anyone to move after that lot.   It was a meal you had once a year but out of this world.

Didn’t The Priory have a change of management a couple of years ago? If so, I wonder if has changed as a result. The menu and the photos that diners posted used to make it look like it was stuck in the ‘80s, but it was popular nonetheless. They were obviously serving good food. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Didn’t The Priory have a change of management a couple of years ago? If so, I wonder if has changed as a result. The menu and the photos that diners posted used to make it look like it was stuck in the ‘80s, but it was popular nonetheless. They were obviously serving good food. 

As far as I am aware, it is owned by the same people as the BELL St Olaves. The change would have been a couple of years ago.

We went last year and to be honest, it was not the same. We always used to treat the place as a restaurant and as such expected to pay a bit more for a meal of restaurant standard. We were a little disappointed.

Having just checked the menu though, I must say I would give it another go. Just expect to pay more than you would for "Pub Grub"

No sign of the Halibut with Prawns and cheese sauce Mr Hylander i'm afraid.:default_sad:  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Norfolkangler said:

As far as I am aware, it is owned by the same people as the BELL St Olaves. The change would have been a couple of years ago.

We went last year and to be honest, it was not the same. We always used to treat the place as a restaurant and as such expected to pay a bit more for a meal of restaurant standard. We were a little disappointed.

Having just checked the menu though, I must say I would give it another go. Just expect to pay more than you would for "Pub Grub"

No sign of the Halibut with Prawns and cheese sauce Mr Hylander i'm afraid.:default_sad:  

I checked it out online. For a start the menu looks totally different. There’s not much choice, whereas there used to be quite a varied menu. Only one vegetarian option on a menu doesn’t really cut it nowadays.

• Like 1

Not been to The Priory since the change of ownership, but it is indeed owned by the same group who own the Bell at St Olaves.

They have also recently added the Queens Head at Belton, moor at Burgh Castle for Belton.

Last year I think they added The Waveney Inn at The Wveney River Centre. They are not helped here by Tingdene's attitude to visitor's with a lack of moorings.

They also run The Plough at Blundeston.

• Like 1

Reedham - I don't stop there, too dangerous for our boat.

Beccles - Waveney Hotel is excellent but we tend to go to the Kings Head, also excellent but half the price as one of Mr Martin's fine establishments (Spoons). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Norfolkangler said:

I believe you mean the Kings head at Belton, unless you are referring to the Queens head at Burgh Castle.

The Kings Head at Belton is now closed:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24455801.kings-head-belton-closes-doors-immediate-effect/#:~:text=The landlords of a village,the venue with immediate effect.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Norfolkangler said:

If you are moored at Beccles, there is always the Swan at Gillingham if you fancy a stroll. Probably around 20 Mins walk.

Good food but be prepared for a plateful. Good prices to.

Thanks - I had looked at The Swan online, good reviews and appears to do a Sunday Carvery......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

Reedham - I don't stop there, too dangerous for our boat

I've not heard that view expressed before. Having moored at Reedham many times over the years and with a good understanding of the tidal conditions I'm curious to understand why you feel so strongly?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 81011 said:

Thanks - I had looked at The Swan online, good reviews and appears to do a Sunday Carvery......

We could not fault the quality of the food a few weeks ago. I must be honest though, if I had known the size of the portions before hand, I would have skipped the starter and gone straight for the main course.

I choose whitebait for my starter (one of my Favorites) and expected it to come with a round of buttered bread and a small side salad on a small plate. When it arrived I had double the whitebait I was expecting and what was a "Meal" size plate of salad on a full plate. It was excellent, but unfortunately I was full after eating that, without a main course. I can generally put a bit of food away but I ended up doing something I have not done in years and asked for a doggy bag as I could not manage all of my main course. When we got home, 2 German Shepherds and a Bull Terrier were my best friends. :default_biggrin: 

• Like 1